1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are my "New" Ride Rites Used

Discussion in 'Towing' started by brp, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    brp

brp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just got my "new" Firestone Ride Rites, which UPS shipped to the wrong address, and they appear to be used and/or abused.

I bought them from 4WheelParts. Everything is loose in the box, no styrofoam or cardboard, and the air bags look like they are covered in a sand/salt mix. Some of the brackets have missing paint and are all dirty and scratched as well. The hardware appears to be new and in a sealed bag.

I took some pictures, not sure if they will help much, but you can see all the crud on the bag and the missing paint on 3 spots, just one edge of one bracket.

I am not sure what to make of it, if I keep them they will be getting a coat of spray paint at least.

Let me know what you think, how did yours look from the retailer?

Thanks

photo-1.jpg
    photo.jpg

2. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    not sure. the metal looks pretty new from the pic. and the paint chip is prolly from getting rattled in the box. thats crap if they arent new. you pay the new price and get used ones. WTF?

3. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    Cogge89

Cogge89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, Kicker ZX400.1 Amp, Kicker CVT 10" Sub. Light Racing UCAs, Front OME Shocks with 885x Coils, Rear OME Shocks with Dakar Leaf Pack, Engine Cover Paint Job, 265/70/17 Duratracs.
    My ride rite air bags were shiny, and black.. Yours look nothing like mine did brand new. I would say there is definitely something going on there.

4. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    ask if u can return them and through a fit if they dont let you. tell them u will call corporate and that usually helps...that condition is just unacceptable

5. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    brp

Member:
    I explained the situation to the retailer via email. I will keep the thread updated as things progress, or don't. Thanks

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    The bags look like that--at least mine did. Same deal, all of it tossed in a box.

I didn't get mine from 4WP.

7. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I agree, that metal looks new but those bags are a tad dirty. I'd try cleaning 'em up and see if you can look for any other signs of usage other than the dirt.

8. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    Apathybot

Apathybot Penguin

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB : 4x4 : 6spd : SR5
    Weathertechs, Costco Seat Covers, Extang Trifecta, Firestone 2407, Tekonsha Prodigy P3
    Mine had rubber nubs and some dust, but looked new overall... My guess is you got a returned set....

9. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I doubt it. That white spooge you see in the bags is to keep the rubber from sticking together. I'd inflate the bags and make sure they hold air before you install them--if it passes, install them.

10. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    brp

Member:
    The light scratches and dirt are tolerable, but there are numerous areas where the paint is gone, I can see shiny metal. Without being painted, there would be very bad rust in one winter's time. I can't believe they ship like that, just a jumble in a box.

11. Mar 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    brp

Member:
    I sent 4WheelParts an email 10 days ago and have heard nothing back. So, I spray painted the brackets and I am just going that route. I will say it is not acceptable to even get a response from them. I still am not sure if I got new stuff, o well. I won't say that I will never buy from them again, but it won't be often and I will look elsewhere first.

12. Mar 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    why not call them instead?

13. Mar 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob

main thing to look out for is dry rot, it weakens the bag and as pressure builds or what have you, the bag will pop, but no telling when. don't worry about the rubber by the mounting plates, they will look as if the bellow (rubber) will rip off the end plates but it won't. I have been using Firestone air bags for a very long time (my usage for air bags is more extreme most of the time).

Products Discussed in

To Top