Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Are my "New" Ride Rites Used

Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
Are my "New" Ride Rites Used

I just got my "new" Firestone Ride Rites, which UPS shipped to the wrong address, and they appear to be used and/or abused.

I bought them from 4WheelParts. Everything is loose in the box, no styrofoam or cardboard, and the air bags look like they are covered in a sand/salt mix. Some of the brackets have missing paint and are all dirty and scratched as well. The hardware appears to be new and in a sealed bag.

I took some pictures, not sure if they will help much, but you can see all the crud on the bag and the missing paint on 3 spots, just one edge of one bracket.

I am not sure what to make of it, if I keep them they will be getting a coat of spray paint at least.

Let me know what you think, how did yours look from the retailer?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Are my "New" Ride Rites Used-photo-1.jpg   Are my "New" Ride Rites Used-photo.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
not sure. the metal looks pretty new from the pic. and the paint chip is prolly from getting rattled in the box. thats crap if they arent new. you pay the new price and get used ones. WTF?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
My ride rite air bags were shiny, and black.. Yours look nothing like mine did brand new. I would say there is definitely something going on there.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
brp's Tacoma Gallery
I explained the situation to the retailer via email. I will keep the thread updated as things progress, or don't. Thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
The bags look like that--at least mine did. Same deal, all of it tossed in a box.

I didn't get mine from 4WP.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, that metal looks new but those bags are a tad dirty. I'd try cleaning 'em up and see if you can look for any other signs of usage other than the dirt.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
Wrench Ninja
Apathybot is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
Apathybot's Tacoma Gallery
Mine had rubber nubs and some dust, but looked new overall... My guess is you got a returned set....
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathybot View Post
Mine had rubber nubs and some dust, but looked new overall... My guess is you got a returned set....
I doubt it. That white spooge you see in the bags is to keep the rubber from sticking together. I'd inflate the bags and make sure they hold air before you install them--if it passes, install them.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
brp's Tacoma Gallery
The light scratches and dirt are tolerable, but there are numerous areas where the paint is gone, I can see shiny metal. Without being painted, there would be very bad rust in one winter's time. I can't believe they ship like that, just a jumble in a box.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
brp's Tacoma Gallery
I sent 4WheelParts an email 10 days ago and have heard nothing back. So, I spray painted the brackets and I am just going that route. I will say it is not acceptable to even get a response from them. I still am not sure if I got new stuff, o well. I won't say that I will never buy from them again, but it won't be often and I will look elsewhere first.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
why not call them instead?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I just got my "new" Firestone Ride Rites, which UPS shipped to the wrong address, and they appear to be used and/or abused.

I bought them from 4WheelParts. Everything is loose in the box, no styrofoam or cardboard, and the air bags look like they are covered in a sand/salt mix. Some of the brackets have missing paint and are all dirty and scratched as well. The hardware appears to be new and in a sealed bag.

I took some pictures, not sure if they will help much, but you can see all the crud on the bag and the missing paint on 3 spots, just one edge of one bracket.

I am not sure what to make of it, if I keep them they will be getting a coat of spray paint at least.

Let me know what you think, how did yours look from the retailer?

Thanks

main thing to look out for is dry rot, it weakens the bag and as pressure builds or what have you, the bag will pop, but no telling when. don't worry about the rubber by the mounting plates, they will look as if the bellow (rubber) will rip off the end plates but it won't. I have been using Firestone air bags for a very long time (my usage for air bags is more extreme most of the time).

Products Discussed in this Thread