Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

trailer lights leaving me in the dark

Old 03-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
hroberts07 is on a distinguished road
Name: hunter
hroberts07's Tacoma Gallery
Question trailer lights leaving me in the dark

i have an 07 tacoma double cab trd, it came with a towing package so the trailer lights " a 5 pin round style" are from the factory. Last night when i was pulling my boat back from the lake i noticed my trailer lights not working. Today i found that the ground had worn badly so i cleaned it up and fixed it. well the lights still didnt work. moving to the fuse box i found a blown 30a, replaced it and still nothing. finally i hooked the boat to my old 97 tacoma with the straight 4 wire connections and the lights work fine. so i know im not getting juice to the outlet on my newer truck but ive tried everything i can think of. any suggestions? i checked every fuse that had to do with towing, all turn signals and lights on the truck work fine. thanks in advance, hunter
Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
do you have a multimeter? start with checking if any of the pins in the plug are getting power when they are supposed to. You might just have a short or something somewhere up the line.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
i dont have a multimeter but i can get one. before i found that broke ground wire, i hooked my dads chevy up to it just to see and now his truck wont work either. so i blew something in his i guess. just wierd to me that my truck and his truck wont work. but my old truck will work. i had a blown fuse but that didnt solve it. sems like the lights would blink if i had a short. i dont know, im stumped
Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
check the wiring on the trailer? look for shorts
Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

weird. And you can just get a test light instead since it will be cheaper. Must be something with that 5th wire. Does the trailer have brakes?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
im just going to throw this out there. but are you using an converter/adapter to go from 5 pin round to the 4 straight? if so maybe be something with the adapter. happen to a guy my dad works with. on he had a chevy.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
no trailer brakes. and it was working fine, heck they were working tuesday night and not working last night. and when i hook it up to the old truck with the 4 pin they work perfectly, so i cant imagine it being in the trailer. i dont know, hopefully i can figure out something without having to re wire the thing,or take it to the shop. weathers pretty and im off work next week, i need to be on the river not under a new truck. its an 07 but i just bought it 3 months ago with 16k miles. i dont need problems already
Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
braaap

definitely check over the trailer wiring since it messed up your dads truck too.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
ok i have a confession to make. this is embarassing but i just went out there with a flashlight to look at it one more time. i was looking at the fuse diagram and noticed one for towing i didnt see earlier. well of course it was blown and now the lights work again. im sorry to everyone that just helped me out. it makes me feel good that i joined this forum less than an hour ago and i got strangers instantly trying to help. i appreciate it greatly. ill try to get some pics posted of the trucks next week and let you guys give me some ideas on mods. thanks again everyone
Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
anytime! and welcome! glad you found out what it was.