Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing concerns

Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Danceman is on a distinguished road
Danceman's Tacoma Gallery
Towing concerns

I have a 2008 Tacoma Double-cab V-6, 4 x 4, long bed with the factory trailer tow package, and I was wondering if I should install a transmission temperature guage on my truck. I pull a small travel trailer empty weight about 4500 lbs and with added gear of approximately 1000 lbs for a total of 5500 lbs. It appears to pull fine, usaully at 60 - 65 mph, the engine temperature guage is find, but I get concerned about the strain on the transmission. I hate to depend on a idiot light. I get lots of comments from other campers that can't believe my truck pull that much weight. By all the books I'm well below the tow rating of 6500 lbs. It makes me wonder if Toyota is over rating the Tacoma at 6500 lbs. Any thoughts from Tacoma owners about this rating or installing a transmission temperature guage?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danceman View Post
I have a 2008 Tacoma Double-cab V-6, 4 x 4, long bed with the factory trailer tow package, and I was wondering if I should install a transmission temperature guage on my truck. I pull a small travel trailer empty weight about 4500 lbs and with added gear of approximately 1000 lbs for a total of 5500 lbs. It appears to pull fine, usaully at 60 - 65 mph, the engine temperature guage is find, but I get concerned about the strain on the transmission. I hate to depend on a idiot light. I get lots of comments from other campers that can't believe my truck pull that much weight. By all the books I'm well below the tow rating of 6500 lbs. It makes me wonder if Toyota is over rating the Tacoma at 6500 lbs. Any thoughts from Tacoma owners about this rating or installing a transmission temperature guage?
welcome to tw!!! good to have you here.

honestly, i dont really think a tranny temp gauge is needed, but for peace of mind, it wouldnt be bad to have. these tacomas tow ratings are pretty accurate, and they can tow 6500 lbs pretty easily if the trailer is equipped right.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Its up to you if it would make you feel better. I tow heavy loads from time to time, sometimes upwards of 10,000 pounds. I dont have a gauge to look at . Look at my picture gallery.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The factory tranny cooler is a very small cooler. It wouldnt hurt to have a larger one installed if you are regularly pulling heavy loads.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
A temp guage is un-necessary, However, if you were inclined to put a larger tranny cooler in that would be fine as realistically the transmission can never really bee too cool. As for toyota fasly stating the tow rating of the truck, that is not the case, as there is no way the bragging rights of a mid-size truck with a 6500 lb tow rating would be worth the lawsuits and potential liability they'd incurr if it couldn't live up to it.

You're good to go, enjoy the ride and keep the rubber side down.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

mvega1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to mvega1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danceman View Post
I do have also a "towing setup" as yours, plus a LEER camp on mine, I have a Fleetwood Evolution 3 with 3,000 lbs dry and when traveling almost 1,300 lbs on gear and passengers no concerns on 65-70MPH when wind is not against you, but I have not installed any transmission temperature gauge (still waiting for Scangauge II to include it).

Regards.