Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

how does a tow bumper work

Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
ilovemytaco is on a distinguished road
ilovemytaco's Tacoma Gallery
how does a tow bumper work

ok so i have a 08 tacoma 4 door with these holes in the bumper i think i can hook up a tow package to it or something, im new to towing so i dont know but i was wondering are those for towing and if yes where do i get the part from an how much
thanx guys
Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Read the manual or look on the bumper itself. It should be labeled somewhere of how much it can actually tow - which isn't much.

Honestly? I wouldn't tow anything with the bumper. Get a hitch and be on the safe side.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Recommend going to the tow discussion under the tacoma garage:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...ing-bible.html

Also for around $200 you can order a frame hitch from etrailer with a hoppy harness (No splice plug & play harness mates with your tail light wiring. Or if you don't care to mount it yourself, go to uhaul, drive in/drive out.

At a minimum, you need that hoppy harness for lights.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
not sure on the actual rating of just the bumper.. but when I replaced mine the bumper itself weighs MAYBE 15 pounds.. nothing to it. Its a thin steel shell basically. I don't see how it could tow anything. Get the hitch.
x2...different years...but i could easily carry both my front and rear bumpers with one hand...and toss them in the bed of the truck
Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with everybody else... get a hitch that bolts to the frame. I wouldn't trust the bumper to tow anything, regardless of what it said in the manual or on the bumper itself.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
The bumper is fine up to the load limit in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah one would think its crazy to do but it can be done for certain applications. One of the .toyota towing brochures (pdf's) phantom posted in the tow garage even show the tacoma bumper as a hitch point.

On my 95 Toyota truck (pre gen1) I towed my enclosed two place snowmobile trailer all the time off the bumper & this was before Toyota even offered a factory tow package. The chrome bumper was not much different than what's on my 06, three holes, one for the hitch ball & the other two you could rig up eye hooks. A lot of folks did it that way. Granted dinging your bumper was much easier & no way would it tow what our trucks are capable of now especially with the factory tow pak.

Personally I chose to get a frame mounted hitch because I swap out different drawbars 2" or 1 7/8'. On the bumper, that is a pain in the butt. Plus the drop works well with my trailer height & weight towed.

So I guess the question for the OP is whatcha towing??