1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Wiring: To Hoppy or not?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Caddmannq, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Sep 19, 2008 at 6:53 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq [OP] MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    On the subject of the Hoppy convertor: I know a few guys towing trailers with their motorcycles, and all use a Hoppy to run the lights.

I've towed with several Japanese cars, and years ago I just rewired both my trailers to have extra lights on them, just like all Jap cars. (My Canadian-made Pontiac Bonneville is wired like them as well.)

Basically I added one wire and two lights for a brake light circuit. I've done it that way for 27 years, since I bought my first Suburu in 1981. I can still tow with an American car just by using a little pigtail adaptor.

Isn't that cheaper and more fool-proof than a Hoppy?

I haven't made up a pigtail for my Tacoma yet, but I thought I'd ask in case there was some terrific reason to switch both trailers back and use a Hoppy.

Also, I have the Tacoma factory towing package with the round 7-contact plug. I haven't looked at the diagram, but it is the "Asian" system, right? Seperate brakes and turns?

Are there additional fuses to that isolate the factory towing wires under the dash somewhere?

2. Sep 20, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Did the extra light deal on a three rail trailer in the dirt bike days when I had my '89. That truck, trailer is long gone. This truck has the tow package and $10 for the adapter that fits in the 7-pt. to convert to my present trailers 4-pt. was cheap headache medicine. I also tow a trailer with my bike and with the computers and such these days I spent the bucks for a Plug-N-Play Electronic Relay Isolator package for that application as well.

This question would probably get more response posted in the towing section.

PM maverick 491 and get some good info.

3. Sep 20, 2008 at 1:38 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq [OP] MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Undercover toneau
    Thanks guys. Maybe I can get the admin to move this for me.

4. Sep 20, 2008 at 4:53 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Moved it for you.

5. Sep 21, 2008 at 4:34 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq [OP] MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Undercover toneau

Products Discussed in

To Top