Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Trailer Wiring: To Hoppy or not?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Caddmannq's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer Wiring: To Hoppy or not?

On the subject of the Hoppy convertor: I know a few guys towing trailers with their motorcycles, and all use a Hoppy to run the lights.

I've towed with several Japanese cars, and years ago I just rewired both my trailers to have extra lights on them, just like all Jap cars. (My Canadian-made Pontiac Bonneville is wired like them as well.)

Basically I added one wire and two lights for a brake light circuit. I've done it that way for 27 years, since I bought my first Suburu in 1981. I can still tow with an American car just by using a little pigtail adaptor.

Isn't that cheaper and more fool-proof than a Hoppy?

I haven't made up a pigtail for my Tacoma yet, but I thought I'd ask in case there was some terrific reason to switch both trailers back and use a Hoppy.

Also, I have the Tacoma factory towing package with the round 7-contact plug. I haven't looked at the diagram, but it is the "Asian" system, right? Seperate brakes and turns?

Are there additional fuses to that isolate the factory towing wires under the dash somewhere?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddmannq View Post
On the subject of the Hoppy convertor: I know a few guys towing trailers with their motorcycles, and all use a Hoppy to run the lights.

I've towed with several Japanese cars, and years ago I just rewired both my trailers to have extra lights on them, just like all Jap cars. (My Canadian-made Pontiac Bonneville is wired like them as well.)

Basically I added one wire and two lights for a brake light circuit. I've done it that way for 27 years, since I bought my first Suburu in 1981. I can still tow with an American car just by using a little pigtail adaptor.

Isn't that cheaper and more fool-proof than a Hoppy?

I haven't made up a pigtail for my Tacoma yet, but I thought I'd ask in case there was some terrific reason to switch both trailers back and use a Hoppy.

Also, I have the Tacoma factory towing package with the round 7-contact plug. I haven't looked at the diagram, but it is the "Asian" system, right? Seperate brakes and turns?

Are there additional fuses to that isolate the factory towing wires under the dash somewhere?
Did the extra light deal on a three rail trailer in the dirt bike days when I had my '89. That truck, trailer is long gone. This truck has the tow package and $10 for the adapter that fits in the 7-pt. to convert to my present trailers 4-pt. was cheap headache medicine. I also tow a trailer with my bike and with the computers and such these days I spent the bucks for a Plug-N-Play Electronic Relay Isolator package for that application as well.

This question would probably get more response posted in the towing section.

PM maverick 491 and get some good info.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Thanks guys. Maybe I can get the admin to move this for me.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddmannq View Post
Thanks guys. Maybe I can get the admin to move this for me.
Moved it for you.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
MotoNerd

Thanks