Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

4.88 Gears

Old 03-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
spaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to behold

Army: 3/8 CAV 1CD
Name: Sam
spaulding88's Tacoma Gallery
4.88 Gears

I have very little knowledge when it comes to gearing on our trucks. I have a 08 DC TRD off road that I use as my dd and wheel occasionally on the weekends, plus during the summer I haul a 18ft bass boat around. I'm currently running 285/75/16's. I feel like the truck struggles a little while hauling the boat down the freeway at 60mph and its very noticeable while climbing hills. Ive been looking around the threads to find what gears I should try to go with, 4.88's sound like they would do the trick but I'm not sure if that's going to run my rpm's to high and kill my gas mileage while cruising at 60mph

Any feed back would be very much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
myself I'm hoping to upgrade to 4.56's,I'm just a 4 banger so 4.88's on your truck should do the trick.

later tig1
Old 03-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
gtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to behold
gtrotter's Tacoma Gallery
With a V-6 I would stick with 4.56's. I've got 4.88's on my 4 cyl and it is almost overkill with that engine. You've got more than enough power, especially with the 4.56's. 4.88's would have you pulling some pretty high rpms.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
know it all
muddluvr is on a distinguished road
muddluvr's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely 4.56 gears..

I have 285s terra graplers on my 06 prerunner and I started towing a 22' 4500 lbs travel trailer with the stock gears (3.73). I towed it about three times before i upgraded to the 4.56...world of difference..
before it would struggle to get to 60 and merging onto the freeways was a nightmare.. with the 4.56s it made the truck feel like it has the original power that it had with the stock tires on it..it pulls so much nicer, accelerates faster and merging into traffic is no longer a white knuckle experience while towing the trailer. IMHO 4.88 would be great for towing but you would hate it on the freeways, rpms would be to high..
Old 03-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
spaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to behold

Army: 3/8 CAV 1CD
Name: Sam
spaulding88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddluvr View Post
Definitely 4.56 gears..

I have 285s terra graplers on my 06 prerunner and I started towing a 22' 4500 lbs travel trailer with the stock gears (3.73). I towed it about three times before i upgraded to the 4.56...world of difference..
before it would struggle to get to 60 and merging onto the freeways was a nightmare.. with the 4.56s it made the truck feel like it has the original power that it had with the stock tires on it..it pulls so much nicer, accelerates faster and merging into traffic is no longer a white knuckle experience while towing the trailer. IMHO 4.88 would be great for towing but you would hate it on the freeways, rpms would be to high..
What was the final cost of the gears plus getting them installed?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
know it all
muddluvr is on a distinguished road
muddluvr's Tacoma Gallery
the gears were 225 the master install kit was 231 and a local shop charged me 200 to install.....so around 700 like the man said in a earlier post...

best bang for the buck i have done to the truck...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
imprezzivesti is on a distinguished road
imprezzivesti's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 Tacoma 4wd on 37's what brand gears are the most reputable for price/performance i'm looking to get 4.88's in the front and rear. and where do I get larger carriers for the front to fit the 4.88's up there? Any links would be appreciated to recommendations.

Right now I'm on stock gears with the 6 speed manual v6 and while it moves i'd like the power back and to actually be able to use 6th gear on the highway
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezzivesti View Post
I have a 2011 Tacoma 4wd on 37's what brand gears are the most reputable for price/performance i'm looking to get 4.88's in the front and rear. and where do I get larger carriers for the front to fit the 4.88's up there? Any links would be appreciated to recommendations.

Right now I'm on stock gears with the 6 speed manual v6 and while it moves i'd like the power back and to actually be able to use 6th gear on the highway
Contact East Coast Gear Supply.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
Banned
knucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
knucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
You might consider 4.1 axle gearing.
Your tires are 7% larger circumference than stock, which makes it like gearing up by 7%. 4.88 gears is like gearing down 30%, 4.56 like 23%, 4.1 like 11%. Even with the 4.1's, you will effectively be at a ratio lower than stock.

The alternative, is to leave the gears where they are. You mention struggling at 60 mph, but not getting to 60. Perhaps it would be sufficient to leave it in 4th gear while towing? 4th gear is 28% lower ratio than 5th on your A750 transmission. Leaving it in 4th would be close to running 4.88 axle.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezzivesti View Post

4.88s would be perfect for your application. I have a 4 cyl so I didn't need to worry about a larger carrier - so I can't help you there. Do not consider 4.10s as mentioned below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
You might consider 4.1 axle gearing.
Your tires are 7% larger circumference than stock, which makes it like gearing up by 7%. 4.88 gears is like gearing down 30%, 4.56 like 23%, 4.1 like 11%. Even with the 4.1's, you will effectively be at a ratio lower than stock.

The alternative, is to leave the gears where they are. You mention struggling at 60 mph, but not getting to 60. Perhaps it would be sufficient to leave it in 4th gear while towing? 4th gear is 28% lower ratio than 5th on your A750 transmission. Leaving it in 4th would be close to running 4.88 axle.
This sounds all bad. First, please show me how 37" tires are only 7% larger than stock. 4.10s are barely going to make a difference pushing those 37s - you are going to need 4.88s to really get your power back. And with that large of a tire, your RPMs on the highway will still be decent so dont worry about that.

It is not a good idea to just leave it in a lower gear, you need to MAKE all of your gears lower. Think about first gear - this can be the most important at times and the only way to lower this (in your situation) is to regear the diffs. Simply put: your truck has 6 speeds, it will perform much better when you regear so you can actually use those 6 speeds. Trust me, I know from experience, and I'm a doctor ; seriously

edit: i think knucklehead's response was to the original post over a year ago, not to the most recent post question. So excuse me for treating you like you dont know what the hell you're talking about
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Banned
knucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
knucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
Eh, my bad. Why imprezzivesti bring back year old thread?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #13
imprezzivesti is on a distinguished road
imprezzivesti's Tacoma Gallery
Cause i search instead of asking things that have topics on the forum already? Why start new threads for no reason??
Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #14
NADFUMAUI is on a distinguished road
NADFUMAUI's Tacoma Gallery
WHAT KIND GEARS SHOULD I RUN

I HAVE A 2004 TACOMA AND IS LOOKING TO UPGRADE MY GEARS.I HAVE A 3.4 AND CURRENTLY RUNNING 33'S IN 20X12, I BOUGHT THE TRUCK BUILD WITH ALL STOCK PARTS ON ENGINE AND GETTING HEADERS,EXHAUST,AIR INTAKE INSTALLED BUT I LOVE TO BURN OUT AND WAS WONDERING WHAT GEARS SHOULD I GET ?,I WILL BE RE-LIFTING MY TRUCK AND PUTTING 4LINK IN REAR AND 3LINK IN FRONT WITH THE WORKS OF FOX SHOCKS ALL AROUND AND A FEW COIL OVERS,TRYING TO STICK WITH 33'S NOT 35'S WRAPPED ON 15X16 REALS.HAWAII WE RUN UM WIDE!JUST WANT SOME FEED BACK ON THE GEARING BECAUSE I AM GETTING ALL KINDS OF DIFFERENT OPINION'S FROM A FEW PEOPLE SO IM HERE ASKING THE TACOMA ENTHUSIASTS.WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ?