Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

How do you make your Tacoma better for towing???

Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
itsatacomathing18 has a spectacular aura aboutitsatacomathing18 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jordan
itsatacomathing18's Tacoma Gallery
How do you make your Tacoma better for towing???

I was going to sell my Tacoma and buy a Cummins for better towing capabilities, but in the mean time, I was wondering what I can do to it to make it better for towing long distances. I usually tow about 5 Stand up Jetskis for long distances. Would it help to get some add a leafs in the back, and maybe a braking system??? Any ideas??
Thanks,
Jordan
Old 03-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
An aal will help keep the bed from sagging and help with axle wrap. Electric brakes are a good idea. Also upgrading your rotors and pads as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
itsatacomathing18 has a spectacular aura aboutitsatacomathing18 has a spectacular aura about
What brakes do you suggest?? And what AAL just something from PRO COMP?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I personally like Powerslot rotors, Hawk pads, and get some SS brake lines while you're at it. That's a pretty solid setup.

I'm about to do a Bilstein 5100/AAL upgrade myself with the expectation of doing some towing soon.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you do a lot of towing go ahead and get the air bags. The AAL will eventually lose its strenght.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Metallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to behold
Metallikatz3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
If you do a lot of towing go ahead and get the air bags. The AAL will eventually lose its strenght.
This ^^ I've killed my AAL from towing/hauling and my rear end is about at stock height again
Old 03-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallikatz3 View Post
This ^^ I've killed my AAL from towing/hauling and my rear end is about at stock height again
I'm in the same boat as you, I put the AAL on to correct the non-TSb rear suspension from bottoming out. It worked great for about a year and now I'm bottoming out once again. I'm either going to get a new leaf pack or air bags so I dont have to worry about it again.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 16 ft travel trailer. When I tow the trailer I also have extra water, tools, generater and I also have a shell. To improve the handling I had the rear spring TSB installed and then added aribags. The difference was astounding. I now have 5100's all around so we'll see if it improves even more.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Your usual tow is 5 standup jets and you're considering buying a diesel for THAT? You're pulling 1500 pounds MAX, including the trailer! You can pull that with a corolla!

x2
Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
http://kawasaki.com/Products/product...?id=481&scid=0

400lbs x5 = 2000lbs. Trailer weights vary wildly, but might possibly be up to 1000lbs.

Still a 3K trailer package is well within the realm of a V6 tacoma. That would be stretching a 4 banger 5 cyl a bit.

So, if you're having trouble, I'm guessing you have a loading problem.

Pile all 5 of those on or in front of the trailer axle, get your tongue weight up around or over 1000lbs, and you'll be nose-high-to-the-sky, with ride, handling and control all shot to heck!!

Once the trailer is loaded properly, the other thing that helps big time is trailer brakes. One extra axle and two extra tires getting into the braking equation makes all the difference in the world. A loaded trailer compounds the natural weight-shift that happens under braking, shifting even more weight onto the front wheels. So it's pretty easy to put on the brakes hard and end up locking the fronts early, and sliding into whatever's most expensive.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

michaelg589's Tacoma Gallery
I have a dumb question...

If one does not have a brake controller, and the trailer does have brakes, will those brakes on the trailer ever be engaged? Does the seven pin connector carry a signal for braking at all without a controller?

I ask because a friend of mine had his brother tow his 68 mustang on a trailer about 100 miles. He did not have a controller and I told him he was foolish for doing so without the controller. He towed with a 2000 Cadillac Escalade. Small front discs and rear drums. The trailer is pretty beefy. All steel. Dual axle. Not enclosed though. Flat bead I guess. I would guess the combined weight of the car and trailer was around 4000+ lbs. He said the trailers brakes are contolled through the connector. But I didnt think so.

Whos right?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg589 View Post
I have a dumb question...

If one does not have a brake controller, and the trailer does have brakes, will those brakes on the trailer ever be engaged? Does the seven pin connector carry a signal for braking at all without a controller?

I ask because a friend of mine had his brother tow his 68 mustang on a trailer about 100 miles. He did not have a controller and I told him he was foolish for doing so without the controller. He towed with a 2000 Cadillac Escalade. Small front discs and rear drums. The trailer is pretty beefy. All steel. Dual axle. Not enclosed though. Flat bead I guess. I would guess the combined weight of the car and trailer was around 4000+ lbs. He said the trailers brakes are contolled through the connector. But I didnt think so.

Whos right?
As far as I know the only vehicle with a built in controller is the Ford Superduty.

If a trailer has hydraulic surge brakes, no controller needed. But if they are electric you need a controller to operate them.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Ok, maybe if he's pulling kawipigs.... SJ700 weighs only 306 pounds. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunn...9/0/specs.aspx

Still within the realm of corolla.
Splitting hairs... plus the 306 is dry weight so you're talking less than a 500 lb difference from what BJ Moose said. Still only 2,000 - 2,500 lbs depending on the trailer. I wouldn't think twice about towing that with a 4-cyl if it was closer to 2,500+ I'd want the V6 but regardless I certainly wouldn't be considering a diesel... That just seems excessive.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
I think its has to do with the loading. I will try re arranging the skis, and see if it tows better.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
If your trailer has brakes you either need a controller of it has surge brakes. If you have the tow package then you should have a pigtail that plugs in onder the dash and connects to you controller.