1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Enclosed trailer for ATVs

Discussion in 'Towing' started by bigmooze, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mar 31, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I posted this thread over in the ATV section, but I think it might make more sense to move it here. Can the mods move it, please and thank you?

2. Apr 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I looked into two options:

1. 7x14 tandem axle trailer with GWR of 7000lb

2. 6x14 single axle (3500lb) with GWR of 2990lb.

Ontario Highway Traffice Act states that I require annual inspection on the truck when the combined rated gross weights of the truck and trailer are 9900lb or more.

The GVWR of the truck is 2426 kg (5337 lb). Add that to the 7000 lb rating of the trailer and I'm into requiring inspections. I want to avoid that.

With the smaller trailer (gross weight of about 2990 lb), I'm at about 3800 kg (8360 lb) for combined gross weight.

I would still order the 6x14 single axle unit with electric brakes.

My current ATV (Honda Rancher AT) has about 650 lb of weight, fully loaded with fluids.

Dry weight of 6x14 trailer is about 1550 lb. That gives a payload of 1440 lb. Even with the weight of my bike and one slightly larger I am inside of the gross weight rating of the trailer. Let's assume I have safety gear in the bed of the truck.

What does everyone think about the 6x14? For the most part, only my bike will be towed inside it, otherwise there will be another bike of the same type.

Products Discussed in

To Top