Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

How to improve mpg while towing

Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
FL Grown is on a distinguished road

FL Grown's Tacoma Gallery
How to improve mpg while towing

I have a 2010 double cab TRD. I just purchased a new 28' travel trailer at 4400 lbs (dry weight). Typically, I get 18-19 mpg, but on our 150 mile excursion with the new camper, we got only 8.5 mpg. We did drive a little slower on the return trip, which helped, but not significantly. Ant suggestions???????

BTW, the truck towed the trailer, beautifully......only problem was mpg!
Attached Thumbnails
How to improve mpg while towing-2.jpg  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Get use to it. MPG's will not get better with anything aftermarket. We tow a 18ft TT 3900lb dw and get around 10-12 mpg. I'm happy with that. TT are bulky with lots of wind resistance.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There is really nothing you can do.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I flat towed a Jeep Wrangler, probably around 3500 with 400 or so in the bed, I got 12,11,10,and 8.5. Doing 75 for the last 2 tanks. Drove from SD, CA to Flagstaff, AZ on the 15 and 40. The 40 is mountainous.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
TacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AL
TacoAL's Tacoma Gallery
Try not filling it with supplys till you get near your location?? Not that it will make much of a difference but it might get you a mpg.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
the ghost
hedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of light

hedman's Tacoma Gallery
The only way to improve gas mileage when towing is to get a supercharger but after all is said and done i think its just 2-3 mpg improvement and only when towing.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
I find a noticeable difference in MPG between 55 and 70 mph when towing. I've some posts from people who actually have the supercharger and they report better mileage. But then if that's the only reason you're getting it you have to tow a lot and save a ton of gas to break even on a $4000 SC and only then would you start saving money.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated (truck and trailer) and your air cleaner is clean and the truck is generally running properly.

Other than that there's not much you can do short of getting a different truck.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Drive slow. there is a big difference in mpg when traveling 55 as oppose to 70 mph
Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Driving slowly is pretty much all you can do. A V6 towing that much weight isn't gonna get great mileage.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Under 60mph is best, keeping your tire pressure right, make it as aerodynamic as possible. If the trailer is taller than the truck(with a cap on it, put a wing on the back.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't towed with the Tacoma yet, but the Ridgeline was 9-11 depending whether my wife or I was driving, me 9 her 11. My worst was 8, bad headwind and best was 13, in Oregon 55mph limit. My 2007 Chevy with the Duramax averages 2 mph better, but if you drive that at 70 it goes down as well. The Chevy gets 15 towing a heavier horse trailer, but that has less wind resistance. Trailmanor claims "one extra gallon of gas to tow a folding TrailManor 100 miles" but you lose the convenience pulling off anywhere and making lunch or using the loo.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Drive slow. there is a big difference in mpg when traveling 55 as oppose to 70 mph
X2
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
chich2000 is on a distinguished road
chich2000's Tacoma Gallery
Not much you can do, but slow down and keep all tanks empty (water,gray,black) when traveling. Got any pics?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #16
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I just got finished coming back from Mesa, AZ with a 4100 lb Toy hauler and at best when on the highway was riding the coattail of big rigs for a while. Of course I let them know on the cb that I was trailing them and they were ok with it. Once riding those coattails I would average about 11-12 @ 65mph and not riding behind it would go down to about 8-9mph. Oh, it was 1200 miles from Mesa, AZ to Katy, TX.

This is what I was pulling
Old 04-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #17

I posted a pic on my original post, but I don't know how to make it bigger . The tanks were empty and we typically don't stock up on drinking water until we get to the campground. Luckily, we have no hills in south Florida, unless you count the bridges. We did keep it in 4th, as the owner's manual suggests it and placing the truck in overdrive definitely bogged it down.

We only do a few trips per year, so it doesn't warrant a bigger truck (plus I really like my Taco!!). Thanks, guys I really appreciate the feedback!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #18

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Grown View Post
I posted a pic on my original post, but I don't know how to make it bigger . The tanks were empty and we typically don't stock up on drinking water until we get to the campground. Luckily, we have no hills in south Florida, unless you count the bridges. We did keep it in 4th, as the owner's manual suggests it and placing the truck in overdrive definitely bogged it down.

We only do a few trips per year, so it doesn't warrant a bigger truck (plus I really like my Taco!!). Thanks, guys I really appreciate the feedback!
Nice looking setup!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Weight Distribution

Nice Rig! Few questions, as I'm looking to get something very similar to what you have there in the near future.

I assume you have a Weight Distribution hitch, but do you have sway bars too? Also, it looks like your back end is sagging a bit, do you have any airbags to help level out?

Also, do you bottom out on rough bumps?

Anyways, thanks for the MPG info so far, that's about on par to what I'm mentally preparing to expect I find a get a bit better MPG when running higher than 87 octane, but it's a bit of a subjective issue, even though I'm running a scangauge to try to help get some real life numbers.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
Nice Rig! Few questions, as I'm looking to get something very similar to what you have there in the near future.

I assume you have a Weight Distribution hitch, but do you have sway bars too? Also, it looks like your back end is sagging a bit, do you have any airbags to help level out?

Also, do you bottom out on rough bumps?

Anyways, thanks for the MPG info so far, that's about on par to what I'm mentally preparing to expect I find a get a bit better MPG when running higher than 87 octane, but it's a bit of a subjective issue, even though I'm running a scangauge to try to help get some real life numbers.
Yes, we bought a weight distribution hitch from Tractor Supply. It was half the price($299) of all the other places I called ($620)! We did not put a sway bar on, because the weight distribution hitch seemed to alleviate some sway. The back better not look like it's sagging, as it wasn't even hooked up! I took the picture right after I unhooked everything!! I'm old school....I have a 35mm, so when I get my camera pics developed, I'll post another one. We did not have any problems going over bumps or potholes. It really towed nicely!