Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Whats the heaviest your taco has towed???

Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #141
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
I towed a 1992 F-150 Ext Cab LB 4x4 on an 18ft steel trailer up a 12% grade for 3.5-4 miles. Only did 35 in 3rd gear to accomplish this. I didn't want anything to break. Nothing ever got hot though. The total trip was about 42 miles. Went from 450ft above sea level up to the high desert at 2800ft above sea level.
The rear end of the Tacoma picked up off the ground when I was loading/unloading the Ford off the trailer. I would think the total weight was right at 6500lbs.
okay, I have faith in these toyotas and my brakes and heating up is a concern. I drove the truck closer to home, but it's still about 60-65 miles I have to tow it. Ive flat towed, but with the added weight of the trailer, stopping may not be that fun. I'll be on the belt road going around the island, so there's turns and hills. I'd be keeping it around 50-55 in the straight aways.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #142
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure I understand what the quote was for. I'm sure you will be fine. Drive carefully.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #143
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
Not sure I understand what the quote was for. I'm sure you will be fine. Drive carefully.
I bought a 92 ford f250 single cab long bed but im not getting popped tryna drive it home, so I want to tow it with either my bronco or tacoma. My Tacoma would be my first choice. I asked if anyone did anything similar since I never towed anything as heavy as that for that distance. Ive seen 4.3 chevy vans pull a back hoe...but this is a tacoma and I bet most people would say its "too much to handle". If someone did similar, i'd believe em and its good to hear how you did. I will drive carefully and be as safe as possible.

I posted couple pics of other things ive towed...not a biggie, wish I had my f350 going.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #144
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Got ya. It should fine. Careful loading the truck on a trailer if thats how you are doing it. It will lift the back of the tacoma up off the ground i bet. when that happens the whole rig will roll forward.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #145
Stone is on a distinguished road
Stone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
okay, I have faith in these toyotas and my brakes and heating up is a concern. I drove the truck closer to home, but it's still about 60-65 miles I have to tow it. Ive flat towed, but with the added weight of the trailer, stopping may not be that fun. I'll be on the belt road going around the island, so there's turns and hills. I'd be keeping it around 50-55 in the straight aways.

If your setupcis right your taco will do fine. I haul vehicles
For the toyota dealership in my town, with my tacoma. I just hauled
A quad cab tundra on my 21 ft gooseneck trailer from dallas to
Bastrop. About 225 miles one way. I do this all the time. But my setup
Is proper. I wouldn't do it with a bumper pull or std hitch. I have
A goseneck setup and my trailer has very good brakes. The tacoma
V6 will pull a lot weight if done correctly. Three weeks ago I
Hauled 10k lbs of stone 750 miles to kansas. No problems. 65-70
Mph the whole way. I'm getting ready to build a custom 2 car trailer
For my taco so I can haul more efficiently for the dealership. Its my source of
Income right now.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #146
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
If your setupcis right your taco will do fine. I haul vehicles
For the toyota dealership in my town, with my tacoma. I just hauled
A quad cab tundra on my 21 ft gooseneck trailer from dallas to
Bastrop. About 225 miles one way. I do this all the time. But my setup
Is proper. I wouldn't do it with a bumper pull or std hitch. I have
A goseneck setup and my trailer has very good brakes. The tacoma
V6 will pull a lot weight if done correctly. Three weeks ago I
Hauled 10k lbs of stone 750 miles to kansas. No problems. 65-70
Mph the whole way. I'm getting ready to build a custom 2 car trailer
For my taco so I can haul more efficiently for the dealership. Its my source of
Income right now.
Shit man, any other mods on your truck? I've got a AP rear with a receiver and im sure it can handle. I think it's like 225 miles around this whole island...lol.

You ever thought about getting a cheap diesel? If doing it all the time(several times a week), i'd consider getting myself another cheap diesel. Ive felt my truck rocking just pulling a few ATVs at 70mph. It'd help the taco last longer and can always resell a diesel.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #147
Stone is on a distinguished road
Stone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
Shit man, any other mods on your truck? I've got a AP rear with a receiver and im sure it can handle. I think it's like 225 miles around this whole island...lol.

You ever thought about getting a cheap diesel? If doing it all the time(several times a week), i'd consider getting myself another cheap diesel. Ive felt my truck rocking just pulling a few ATVs at 70mph. It'd help the taco last longer and can always resell a diesel.
Just have a trans cooler and rear air bag suspension . Yeah I'm considering getting a diesel just because I haul a lot now. The taco is amazing. But I am pulling some hefty loads
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #149
White4x4Taco is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Josh
White4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I towed my 20CC fishing boat with a dual axle gavanized trailer. Was probably pushing 6k with all the fuel and fishing equipment. My trucked lagged, especially when going up a grade. Towing anything heavy is for V8's and Diesels. I rarely have to tow so my Tacoma still works for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #151
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery

Little over 6k 24ft Sea Ray Sundancer, plus the my campers.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #152
trailertrashman is on a distinguished road
trailertrashman's Tacoma Gallery

Can tow 7500 pounds with Reg cab 4x4 5 speed. It does take 4.88 gears, Firestone air bags, max-brake controller and hankook all terrian tires at 80 psi. One twenty foot box trailer 8.5 x 20 (3500) and 79 Camaro hot rod (4000). Need to get hitch reinforced. Takes a while to get to speed, stopping is easy. Not doing this on regular basis, that's the diesels job. Just wanted to see if it would
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #153
BillyG is on a distinguished road
BillyG's Tacoma Gallery
my slide in camper

my slide in camper is a lite 900lbs add gear maybe 1100lbs on my back. i some how bent an axel. i got everything repaired and im ready for another try. the payload is 1600ish so i should have been well within my load limit. the gas mileage loaded droped to 9mpg. i needed to use mid grade fuel to give it a little extra pep. has anyone else run into this kind of problem? billyg
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #154
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
My old 05 towed fantastic. I towed 2 fox chassis cars on this heavy steel trailer no problem and my 3 series with no issues.

About 12 years ago this was me towing my FJ40 home from the outskirts of Philly to NH with my wife's long since departed 98. That didn't work out so good. We made it no problem but with the bed of the truck full of parts, and the FJ40 full of parts it was HEAVY. Just the 40 and trailer were about 6k. On any kind of incline I had to use lo range to get it going. And the headlights were useless.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #155
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post

Great looking 4-Eye! Need to see some more pics of that thing. Is that 93 Cobra wheels I see on there?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #156
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've pulled a 4,000lb+ trailer from Phoenix to Chicago and back which is a 4,000+ mile round trip. The truck did an awesome job on the several steep grades that are between Phoenix and Flagstaff. The only thing that I noticed was the gas mileage which was 12-14mpg. Other than that, no complaints.

I've also had 600lbs+ of weight in the bed and it held up well.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #157
bdemick is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: DC2
bdemick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equal-i-zer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3000 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 11.75 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #158
Toyoda
VA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shedVA7FQT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
VA7FQT's Tacoma Gallery
This guy, after he hydro locked and got stuck in a mud pit. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Whats the heaviest your taco has towed???-image.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #159
bdemick is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: DC2
bdemick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equal-I-zer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3000 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 11.75 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!
Attached Thumbnails