Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

trailer brake problem

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
taco1985 [OP] taco1985 is offline
Junior Member
taco1985 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Joined: Apr 2011, #54336
Location: North Arkansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
taco1985's Tacoma Gallery
trailer brake problem

I posted this in technical help before I saw this group. I have a 2008 tacoma double cab. I am installing trailer brakes on my truck and bought the harness from the toyota dealer. I thought it would be as simple as plugging into the plug-in port by the driver kick panel and hooking up the brake controller module. Problem is I don't have power to the plug-in port. I tried putting fuses in the slots labeled "towing" and "trailer lights". I also tried putting in a circuit breaker in the slot for a breaker labeled "trailer lights". I never got power to the plug-in port. Any ideas? I called the toyota dealer but didn't get an answer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
Jerry Bear has a spectacular aura aboutJerry Bear has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jerry
Joined: Feb 2011, #51743
Location: Mesquite, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 144
Jerry Bear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco1985 View Post
I posted this in technical help before I saw this group. I have a 2008 tacoma double cab. I am installing trailer brakes on my truck and bought the harness from the toyota dealer. I thought it would be as simple as plugging into the plug-in port by the driver kick panel and hooking up the brake controller module. Problem is I don't have power to the plug-in port. I tried putting fuses in the slots labeled "towing" and "trailer lights". I also tried putting in a circuit breaker in the slot for a breaker labeled "trailer lights". I never got power to the plug-in port. Any ideas? I called the toyota dealer but didn't get an answer.
You need to put a 30 Amp fuse in the TOWING BRK slot in the fusebox under the hood. That's all you need to do for the brake controller.

The other towing fuse and relay sockets are for the OEM trailer light wiring, which you must not have, or they would already be loaded.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
taco1985 [OP] taco1985 is offline
Junior Member
taco1985 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Joined: Apr 2011, #54336
Location: North Arkansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
taco1985's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bear View Post
You need to put a 30 Amp fuse in the TOWING BRK slot in the fusebox under the hood. That's all you need to do for the brake controller.

The other towing fuse and relay sockets are for the OEM trailer light wiring, which you must not have, or they would already be loaded.

I did this without any result. I noticed on another thread's sticky that I may not have the tow packaged equipped truck. According to that poster the non equipped trucks would have come with the plug in harness above the kick panel also. I think this is stupid on Toyota's part if you have to completly hard wire everything anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
Jerry Bear has a spectacular aura aboutJerry Bear has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jerry
Joined: Feb 2011, #51743
Location: Mesquite, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 144
Jerry Bear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco1985 View Post
I did this without any result. I noticed on another thread's sticky that I may not have the tow packaged equipped truck. According to that poster the non equipped trucks would have come with the plug in harness above the kick panel also. I think this is stupid on Toyota's part if you have to completly hard wire everything anyway.
I believe that you are right. They may not have fully wired the Towing Brake Converter plug since your truck doesn't have the towing package.

These are the pin numbers, wire colors, and uses for the Towing Brake Converter plug on a 2010:
1. Blue, Brake output to trailer
2. Black, Unswitched +12 Volts
3. White/Black, Ground
4. Blue, Brake input from truck
5. Green, Taillight input from truck

See what wires are there, and if they have the right signal on them.

Let us know what wires/signals are missing and we may be able to tell you the best place to tap into them.

What do you have at the rear of the truck for the trailer to plug into?

Sorry that it didn't work.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer wiring problem? toojayz 2nd Gen. Tacomas 4 05-22-2011 05:37 PM
trailer brake problem taco1985 Technical Chat 3 04-04-2011 07:34 PM
Boat trailer Problem moe1967 2nd Gen. Tacomas 3 12-20-2010 08:06 PM
Trailer Light problem rhion82 Towing 4 06-17-2010 04:35 PM
trailer brake harness POPEYE1955 2nd Gen. Tacomas 3 06-01-2010 07:09 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.