Notices

Will I be able to tow?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Tacoma Lover
tablesalt is on a distinguished road

tablesalt's Tacoma Gallery
Will I be able to tow?

Hello everyone,

I have a 04 V6 off-road package with no towing package. Will I be able to haul three humans with motorcycle gear, two motorcycles in my truck bed, one motorcycle trailer (from U-Haul) w/ motorcycle in it and some other miscelleanous things?

For those who live or have been to California, I will be heading up the Grapevine on I-5.

Thanks

tablesalt
Old 04-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Are you up for it? The truck doesn't care, it's ready for anything.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Are you up for it? The truck doesn't care, it's ready for anything.
x2.. the truck can handle the weight.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd put 2 (or 3 if you can fit them) in the trailer rather than the bed of the truck and keep the lighter gear in the bed. It might mean a slightly heavier trailer but it'll handle much better if you have a real hitch, not the bumper ball. What are you hauling for bikes, I'm assuming sport bikes if you're putting 2 in the bed but if they're Harley Road Kings, they're freakin heavy! Also, what are you thinking for a Uhaul trailer, some of the bigger ones are hefty unloaded (you mentioned the Uhaul motorcycle trailer but I've never been able to get ahold of one up here). Just some things to think about...

In short, you'll be fine as long as they're not 800+ lb cruisers.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you plan on doing this more frequently, I would get a hitch receiver installed. You can get a class IV for <$150.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Tacoma Lover

i apologize. i wasnt clear. what i meant to say was that the
truck didnt come with a tow package, but i got a tow hitch instal from uhaull. i am taking sport bikes. iam thinking now of renting a 4x7 trailer. sorry about that.

thanks
tablesalt
Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablesalt View Post
i apologize. i wasnt clear. what i meant to say was that the
truck didnt come with a tow package, but i got a tow hitch instal from uhaull. i am taking sport bikes. iam thinking now of renting a 4x7 trailer. sorry about that.

thanks
tablesalt
You will be in good shape then. Like someone else said, I would tow all the bikes on a trailer and leave your bed for storage of more gear. You will probably only be towing 1200-1500lbs worth of bikes plus whatever the trailer weighs.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Tacoma Lover

cool. then i wil go with the 5x8 trailer so we can fit all three bikes.

thanks

tablesalt
Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I would look into a transmission cooler.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
X2
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
X2
X3 on the trans cooler. Cheap insurance.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
X3 on the trans cooler. Cheap insurance.
More necessary than insurance I would suggest .
Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Definitely invest into a trans cooler. Even tho that much weight up the grapevine isn't that bad it's a good investment.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #14
Tacoma Lover

I will look into it most definitely after I tow these bikes. I usually just load two bikes on my bed. Any good deals on Transmission coolers?

Thanks
tablesalt
Old 04-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
No, I wouldn't go that far unless the trailer is a closed box (high wind resistance).
So ruin your tranny, stop giving crappy info.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
Any links to a good trans cooler? Still need one for a manual shift?

you can pick one up at most auto parts stores...its pretty much just a tiny radiator and some tubing. Not really needed for a manual transmission.

Automatic transmissions use fluid to transfer energy (torque converter). The fluid in manual transmissions is strictly there for lubrication and cooling. It does not get as hot as an automatic would.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #18

Quote:
So ruin your tranny, stop giving crappy info.
I highly doubt he's going to ruin his tranny towing 3 motorcyles. The OP isn't going to be towing a whole lot of weight..maybe 2000-2500 lbs. Especially this time of year when it's not super hot yet. In the heat of summer towing in the mountains...maybe.

Is a tranny cooler a good idea with an automatic transmission? Absolutely.

Is it absolutely necessary? Depends on the conditions.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #19
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
cool. then i wil go with the 5x8 trailer so we can fit all three bikes
You will thank yourself for this later. It will make a much more pleasant tow having all the bikes in the trailer. Adding just 1000 lbs to the bed really alters your stability, but 1000 lbs behind the trailer just hits the gas mileage. I'd go for the trailer and improved stability / ride anyday.

If you have a manual transmission you don't need a cooler. If you're doing it sans cooler with an auto, just keep it in 4 and when you feel the truck shifting alot to keep up your speed drop it to 3 and take it easy on the speed. The cooler will keep the tranny temps down if you're shifting alot.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #20
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
When was the last time you serviced transmission and rear diff? Cheap to do on a manual.