Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing with the 4cyl 5 speed

Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Ive got tiger blood
0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
0BlackTaco6's Tacoma Gallery
Towing with the 4cyl 5 speed

I got a friend at work the other day that asked about towing with his 07 AC 4cyl 5speed. I dont know anything about towing so im coming here. I know ratings are there for a reason but with this specific situation is this an absolute no go or could this work? He has a trailer hitch on the back and he just bought a new boat and trailer. I know the towing capacity is 3500lbs. I guess his new set up is 5000lbs. But he is wondering if he can still tow it being that he is only going to transport it less than 5 miles down the road from his house to a boat launch. It is completely flat coastal road. His tailer hitch is rated for that weight or more but he is just curious what would happen to the truck. I didnt really know, if with this specific situation it would be "alright" or not, so fire away.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Ive got tiger blood
0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold

^
Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i think it would be ALRIGHT if its not far... just drive slow... like under 35. is it a really busy street?

he will probably burn his clutch too, might want to think about air bags
Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
If it were me, I would do it... slowly and carefully.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl, 5 speed, 4x4 here. I tow a 16' boat, I'm sure it weighs a lot less than your buddies - I work the clutch everytime I pull the boat out of the water. I know I've taken some miles off of the clutch. Just something to think about.

Mike
Old 04-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4cyl 5spd 4x4 and agree that the clutch is going to feel it. I towed about 4,000lbs last week and it was not the most fun. Granted I am not in a coastal flat area. Once you get it rolling it's ok, and stops fine.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Kravchenko is on a distinguished road
Kravchenko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
4cyl, 5 speed, 4x4 here. I tow a 16' boat, I'm sure it weighs a lot less than your buddies - I work the clutch everytime I pull the boat out of the water. I know I've taken some miles off of the clutch. Just something to think about.

Mike
How much do you think your boat weighs? Is it fiberglass, aluminum, fishing boat, fish 'n ski or what? Outboard, inboard, horse power?

Just wanting to know because I am gathering some info for myself. I figured that I wouldn't be hurting the clutch any more than being stuck in stop and go traffic on an incline... do you pull it out in 4 wheel low? Most boat launches around here are pretty easy.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Kravchenko,

It's an aluminum boat, 35hp outboard. Wood floors/decks, dual batteries, livewell - a nicely set up fishing boat. I'm not sure of the weight, never really knew it was there when towing it with a full size V-8, but it gives the 4cyl a workout. I'm sure if I had the 6 it wouldn't be an issue. I'm going to give 4-lo a try this year, steep launches are where I run into issues.

The truck will tow the boat at highway speeds (acceleration is slow), but you will lose speed on the hills. I generally downshift when I approach hills to keep the rpm's up and not bog it down.

I also tow a Hyde driftboat - that rig probably only weighs around 1000lbs. No issues there.

Mike
Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Ive got tiger blood

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll pass the stories along.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
Ive got tiger blood

So just to update anyone that was curious. My buddy successfully towed his boat gear and trailer with no issues at all. Like was stated before he had an AC 4cyl 4x4 5 speed. Total with boat, trailer, gear, with gas the weight was coming in roughly around 5500lbs. Towed to the gas station (about 2 miles) then to the boat launch (another 2 miles) and then back home again. Towed it out at dead low tide on a steep ramp that was covered in sea growth because of low tide. Put it in 4 low. Chalked the wheels so he wouldnt have to catch it rolling back and pulled rite up the ramp with no issue at all and no burning out the clutch. Just figured id pass the info along in case anyone was wondering what can be done. Below is a pic of the boat being towed. 21' parker
Old 05-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
One of the very important things to think about in the tow ratings on these trucks is that even the V6's have a 3500 pound printed hauling capacity, UNLESS they are specifically equipped *FROM THE FACTORY* with the towing package, which raises the limit to 6500 pounds. Note that the towing package includes nothing more than a factory hitch, factory trailer wiring with 7 pin plug, and a larger alternator (for charging trailer brakes). The necessity of the larger alternator is debatable, and only applies if the trailer has ELECTRIC brakes since SURGE brakes don't need any extra electric.
You forgot about the engine oil cooler for all and AUX tranny cooler for the autos. I also think they have a stronger clutch for the fan. Check out toyota.com if you have any questions.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Fan clutch is the same.
Oil coolers only apply, as you noted, to AT, which is not applicable to this thread. All vehicles under discussion are MT.
But the engine oil cooler applies to both transmissions.

The V6 has nothing to do with this thread but you brought it up so..........yeah. I'm a V6 guy providing any needed info.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
It does in that it is the closest vehicle that *IS* available with a rating that exceeds the requirements.

Edit: engine oil cooling requirements change based on the engine itself. There is also no telling whether the additional cooling is a matter of need or a matter of "nice to have". For example, the bigger alternator isn't necessarily required (as I've noted above).

Oh if you say so.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Banned
Quote:
I sincerely hope that you aren't trying to start something again....
I never was. Just trying to clear up some wrong info.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Launching a boat that is nearly or heavier than your truck and you have the opportunity to follow it into the water, especially is you don't have trailer brakes, or the ramp is wet and/or slimy.
Taker 'er slow, and have a person on the ready to let the boat off of the trailer in a hurry.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
No you weren't, you were just being a prick.
Nope. Just trying the stop the spread of misinformation. If you have questions about the tow package check out http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/
Old 05-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Ive got tiger blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Launching a boat that is nearly or heavier than your truck and you have the opportunity to follow it into the water, especially is you don't have trailer brakes, or the ramp is wet and/or slimy.
Taker 'er slow, and have a person on the ready to let the boat off of the trailer in a hurry.
Dont worry man. Definetly noted. Thats what the thread was about. He was kinda worried about the set up. So everything was taken with extreme caution because he doesnt want anything happening to his truck or boat. It was all taken very slow and he would have not attempted it if he knew it was a huge risk to his truck, boat, or anyone around.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
not so much towing as hauling but my truck was able to carry this, i'm sure its about boat weight.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmonkey View Post
not so much towing as hauling but my truck was able to carry this, i'm sure its about boat weight.

I was like damn at first but yeah that's a chop.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #20
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I was like damn at first but yeah that's a chop.
nothings chopped sir ;p notice how high the front end is, the back is sitting on stock bumps, my tires are low pros so it doesnt look like its on bumps