Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

putting a tow ball on rear bumper mount

Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
I'm different, in a different way
franzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
franzcars's Tacoma Gallery
putting a tow ball on rear bumper mount

ok, so i was thinking about getting one just to have. we dont really tow anything but it'd be nice to have just in case. i dont have the tow package and its a reg cab soooo..... also is it illegal to tow if the lights on the trailer wouldnt work cuz i dont have the harness? sorry if this has been asked.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
it takes literaly 15 dollars and 15 minutes to wire in a 4pt connecting harness to the tail lights.

The 4pt harness is used on lighter trailers, which is what you would tow with a bumper ball and a std cab 5 lugger. They dont provide trailer brakes, but they will light up the break light, turn signals, reverse lights on a trailer with a 4pt recieving, which is what you should get so you dont get a ticket, or get into an accident.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Towing with the bumper is a bad idea. It sits up too high to be useful and has a VERY limited capacity. Hitches are $100ish and can be done in 20min with two people, 45min by yourself with some cussing
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
franzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i wasnt really looking to spend much because i dont think im going to tow much. but i wanted to b ready in case.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #6

i think the 2 holes on the side of the mount is for chains. is this a good thing or should i just splice?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #8

i've used that b4. ill look at the wireing this weekend. thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx View Post
i think the 2 holes on the side of the mount is for chains. is this a good thing or should i just splice?
These things are about as quick and easy as it gets! I've got one for my truck. All you have to do is pull the tail lights, T-in and you're set.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #10

i looked under my bumper and couldnt find the plug. ill prolly go up to advanced auto and get some stuff
Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Possibly for chains, but I've also read that the other 2 holes are actually for off-centered towing. This is for large farm equipment that wouldn't fit inside the lane of a road, so you can offset the load so that it partially hangs off the side of the road to ensure it clears the oncoming lane.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #12

oh. i read somewhere on the fourm to but i hooks or something like those and bolt the chain down. that good?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Buy that one it installs in 10-15 minutes, very easy. Don't do the splicing, a pain in the ass. I have installed several of those over the years. You will be glad you git that instead of splicing.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
ok, so i was thinking about getting one just to have. we dont really tow anything but it'd be nice to have just in case. i dont have the tow package and its a reg cab soooo..... also is it illegal to tow if the lights on the trailer wouldnt work cuz i dont have the harness? sorry if this has been asked.
YES! You will get a ticket & possible worse if towing without a harness. If you are ever pulled over because the trailer lights aren't working. Act suprised & get out to check, then appoligize & say you will take care of it immediately. Most of the time this keeps you from getting a ticket.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #15

ill do the good old splice job and if i get more serious towing, ill get a biiger taco with tow pkg :P

is this the wireing diagram?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
I think that diagram is for the pre-existing harness provided with the stock towing package option...I assume you don't have the wiring harness already since you're thinking of splicing, so you'll have to splice off the tail light wires because the harness in your diagram does not exist on your vehicle.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
In other words... at least have a fake wire hooked up there somewhere and electric taped to some other bunch of wires. Make it *look* like its wired for a trailer.

Best option is, of course, to simply install the proper trailer wiring.

My choices in order from best to worst;

1) OEM trailer wiring harness.
2) Aftermarket T-connector wiring harness.
3) Aftermarket splice-connect brake light converter.
4) Random bunch of wires that almost work... i.e. tail+brake or tail+left+right(nobrake).
5) Totally fake.

The OEM harness costs about $90. The brains of it go up in the cab, a relay in the relay/fuse panel under the hood, a couple of fuses, and a wire that runs from the front to the back. The OEM harness has a few advantages; it provides considerably more current for trailer lights, it isolates the trailer lights from the truck lights (so an overload/short on the trailer won't take out your truck lights), and the important parts are sheltered from the elements.

I would *highly* recommend going with the OEM trailer wiring harness.
If the same cop pulls you over a 2nd time. A ticket you will get. Best not to fake it. At least try & get it to work.

The OEM harness isn't any better than the aftermarket one. I would buy the aftermarket one around $50. Then replace the lightbulbs in the trailer. A cheap fix & that may be all the trailer needs. Trailer bulbs $1.50.

Splicing can have issues later on. I'm not a fan of splicing if you don't have too.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #18

how would i know what to splice off? should i pull my tail lights off and look?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
Jerry Bear has a spectacular aura aboutJerry Bear has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jerry
Jerry Bear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how would i know what to splice off? should i pull my tail lights off and look?
For a 2007:
Red/White: Backup (Red on 2010)
Green: Tail
Blue: Brake
Blue/Black: Left Turn (Yellow on 2010)
Blue/Yellow: Right Turn (Blue/White on 2010)
White/Black: Ground
Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 AM   #20

thanks for the info. ill take a look and c what i hav.