Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tacoma tow package electrical connector question

Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Diggerdawg is on a distinguished road
Diggerdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma tow package electrical connector question

Well I finally took my brand new red double cab TRD Sport home last week and am loving it! It has the tow package, as I believe all the TRDs do.

Had a quick question. Is the electrical connector that is by the hitch the standard connector that most camping trailers will plug into? Specifically, I'm going to look at a 2004 Starcraft CK19 trailer and wondered if it would plug right in?

My step son thinks it didn't look like it would but he's used to smaller flat bed type trailers which I think use a 4 pin connector rather than the 7 pin?

Also, does $6,200 sound like a reasonable price for this trailer if its in great condition? Seemed good to me based on what I've seen. FYI I'm in NY in the Metro NYC suburban area.

Some of the guys on RV net thought it was not necessarily a great price.

Thanks,

David
Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
d10k6 is on a distinguished road
d10k6's Tacoma Gallery
For your wiring questions: Yes, it is the standard connector travel trailers use. The 4-pins is for the lights, 2 turn signals and ground. The 7-pin provides the same plus brakes, a 12V connection and reverse lights.

You can pick up a 4-pin to 7-pin converter cheaply so you can easily plug in the 4-pin connectors into your 7-pin
Old 05-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
Without seeing the Travel trailer, and just by going with what you've said in your post, I'd have to say the price is about average. Wouldn't call it great, but it's fair. The biggest question is: What condition is the trailer in? A 2 year old Travel trailer might be trashed with poor maintenance, or be in mint condition and a much better buy than paying new.

Either way, for 6000 it's a **Relatively** inexpensive endeavor should it turn out to just be ok.

And like the other guy said, the 7-pin factory tow is exactly what you'll need on any travel trailer with brakes.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
My truck had the Tow Package which included the 7 pin adapter and wires for hooking up trailer brakes...you might check with your dealership. Both items were in the glove box when I purchased.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
The wiring is DOT. standard so every thing should work if it doesn't the trailer is wired wrong. Every thing is there battery charging wiring, all the signals, trailer break wiring (you should have a Toyota harness for the breaks in a plastic bag) and reverse lights. I just bought a 90 Sunline T1700 (17'10") dual axle trailer for $2500 so it sounds like a good price for the trailer.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Diggerdawg is on a distinguished road
Diggerdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all for the advice. Going to check it out tomorrow and if we like it, will hopefully tow it home!

It sounds like its been very well maintained - I know all the stuff to look for having just sold an old 1988 Class C RV, so will check it out carefully.

Will post pix if we get it.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Most trailers will use either the 4 pin flat connector with round pins in it or the larger 7 pin round connector with flat pins in it. There's others like round connector round pin in I think 6 or 7 pin but that's more for farm stuff and maybe semi trailers.

4 pin is just the lights, 7 pin is for lights, trailer brakes and charging for the trailer battery.