Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tow Package - Size of Hitch?

Old 10-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Tow Package - Size of Hitch?

I have a '06 Taco... bought it with the tow package... I am about to buy a receiver mount shackle... what size is the factory receiver box? (I'm at work and cannot get to my vehicle to measure).

Also, can anyone recommend a good (decently priced) rear hitch receiver with w/ shackle...?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
2" receiver i believe..
Old 10-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Who, Me?
JustHerbie is on a distinguished road
JustHerbie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
2" receiver i believe..
That is what mine is. It's an '09 but I can't think that it would have changed.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
definately 2" on 05+. i went northern tools and couldnt find a receiver shackle before the meet in april, so i just got one of their hooked receivers. works well.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
did anyone say 2" yet?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
WoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Warrant Officer
Name: Peter
WoadWunner's Tacoma Gallery
2" is industry standard
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoadWunner View Post
2" is industry standard
That is more or less correct.

A class 1 hitch is just a flat piece of metal, that has a small locking pin and is rated to only pull about 500 lbs. Think of a "K" car pulling a jet ski. These hitches were more or less phased out about the time the last "K" car rolled of the line as well.

A class 2 hitch is 1 1/4 inches square and is rated to roughly 1500 - 2000lbs. It is still availabe on many cars and smaller SUVs.

Class 3, 4 and 5 receivers are all 2 inch square, and have varrying weight ratings based on how beefy they are and the tow ratings of the vehicles they are attached to.

Just figured I'd pass on a little trivia since I was late in answering your actual question.