Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

M101 Military Trailer

Old 05-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
M101 Military Trailer

I'm thinking about picking up a M101 3/4 ton military trailer and am wondering if anyone here has experience pulling one with their Tacoma. Anyone?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Audacia77 is on a distinguished road
Army: Veteran
Name: Ben
Location: They forgot to tell me we're not in Iraq anymore... Basrah.
Audacia77's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping for interest. Hoping for some good input.... Sorry I don't have anything to add though.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacia77 View Post
Bumping for interest. Hoping for some good input.... Sorry I don't have anything to add though.

Thanks, Ben. I noticed a couple of people listed military trailers in the "Show us what you tow" thread. I hope they'll chime in here.
M101:

M100:

M416:

The 3/4 ton M101 (A1, A2 or A3) is very versatile, but maybe a bit big for a Tacoma. That's one of my questions for TW users. The 1/4 ton M100s and M416s are a bit small, in my opinion, at least for what I do with a trailer, and more suited for the old military Jeep. Lots of off-roaders use the M100s though. Other questions I have are about the hitch.

I'm very interested in how people make up the hitch, since the M101 uses a lunette to pintle connection. In my review, I've seen some convert to the standard ball coupler at the trailer or to a high articulation coupler. I also wonder how connection to the trailer is carried off without a lift, since the height to the trailer's lunette is about 22"

Here's a link to a mid-west 4x4 forum where a very talented guy modified and updated his M101 for general use, much as I would use one for: http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=189516

Here's a general reference link to info & photos of many military trailers:http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_veh...d_trailers.php

Enjoy! And chime in....
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
I am also considering the M101 trailer. I know it has to be converted from 24v to 12v. I am wondering what needs to be done for it to be good for highway use as well as off road use.

I have heard of people swapping axels, but I am not sure why.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY is on a distinguished road

Navy: CHIEF PETTY OFFICER
Name: Darryl
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Just pick up one of these and the mounting bracket to put it on and pull it away...http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...ady/63014.html
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOISTACOMAGUY View Post
Just pick up one of these and the mounting bracket to put it on and pull it away...http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...ady/63014.html
haha, good idea!
What is the GVWR of that trailer? I doubt you'd have a problem towing one, but have not done it, so that's just a guess ...
Edit: looking at the pic above, it looks like the GVW of the trailer is around 3,600lbs with 2,200 lbs cargo. Should work fine I'd say. Sounds like a good utility trailer!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
I use mine all the time to pull M101a1,a2,and,a3's. The a3 is the best pull. It tows so easy do to the dropped and wider axles.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
haha, good idea!
What is the GVWR of that trailer? I doubt you'd have a problem towing one, but have not done it, so that's just a guess ...
Edit: looking at the pic above, it looks like the GVW of the trailer is around 3,600lbs with 2,200 lbs cargo. Should work fine I'd say. Sounds like a good utility trailer!
Empty the trialer weights 1,200 lbs. You can put a load up to 3,600 lbs on the axle of a M101A1. A3's have a heavier axle so one could place more of a load on them.