Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Moving across country and thinking of towing my wife's car

Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
kristonex is on a distinguished road

kristonex's Tacoma Gallery
Moving across country and thinking of towing my wife's car

Never owned a truck before and I'm thinking of renting one of those tow dollies from u-haul or somewhere to tow with. I'll be going from Washington DC to Boulder colorado roughly 1800 miles. I have a 2010 Access cab v6 4x4 tow package with the transmission cooler upgrade. She has a 2009 Honda Accord v6 That I'm thinking of pulling.
I'm just concerned I might kill the truck. I have never really towed anything so this would definitely be something new for me and on one hell of a drive to boot. I guess I just want to know if it can do it safely without burning up the transmission or the motor. And would i have to drive in regular D versus overdrive the whole time.
Any input, suggestions,or advice would be appreciated
Would like to know what the best type of tow dolly or trailer would work best for this.

This isn't my only option I just thought it would be cool to do instead of having the car shipped.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine.

Take it a little slower than usual. use "D" on the uphills. The brake-assist will be good going down hill, but you still have to watch the speeed.

If you feel the trailer starting to see-saw, DON"T hit the brakes! My ex-gf did that on a Cali to Missouri trip and ended up spinning us about 1 1/2 times into the median, about 6 hours from the end of our destination. Apparently easing up on the gas or actually accelerating a little to "pull it straight" is the right answer.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #3

Brake assist?? Not sure if I got that.

Yea gassing it quick most of the time is the answer to a squirrely trailer. I have been in a truck with one of my best friends when that happened He was driving. We where towing a couple jetskis down a 2 lane road and that thing started swinging just about all the way across the opposite lane then in the dirt on the other side. Scary as hell!! But he's is very experienced with towing and got it under control. I've learned the little bit I do know from him.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
Stickers and new floormats arent Mods
weiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JK
weiser5150's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^Under Mods and Tutorials,there is a Tacoma Towing Guide.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine towing it. I just got back from an 8 hour trip with my boat/gear in tow. I'm sure my boat was a little heavier than your wifes Accord and my truck did fine. I left it in 4 the whole time unless there was a long downhill section or the highway was flat. Just take you time and realize you have a lot of weight behind you.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Kristonex look into a car carrier company, less stress and wear on you new truck. My friend had 3 cars transported from Jersey to California with no problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
tommyc is on a distinguished road
Name: tommy
tommyc's Tacoma Gallery
Yo Dude I spent some time in Colorado nice place, If I was you, and didn't have any towing time under my belt, I might stray away from towing a car for my first time. but do what you want.

03coma that guy DHK is an asshole. don't waste your time explaining you message. If he didn't like what you wrote he could have said something smart to Kristonex to help him out, but he had to put a JK response to you.

He's one to talk he has a 4 banger,(cheap ass) this is a 6 cylinder discussion, and don't give me crap about the gas prices and how much you save. bla.. bla.. bla.. get a real engine in your truck. What the hell are you going to do with a 4 banger. douche...

dhk I have an 11 sr5 4x4 6 cyl. BRING IT ! Put your money where you big mouth is.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to check what it would cost to have it shipped. Your gas mileage is going to suck. The shipping cost may be cheaper than the gas you will burn. You may get at best 12mpg towing. Do the math & figure what it will cost in the gas difference plus the uhaul rental. Then check with car haul companies.

If you opt for towing yourself. Spend the extra money & get the full uhaul trailer. Not a front wheel dolly.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
I say go for it. First time I towed a vehicle was 17 years ago moving from Great Falls, Montana to San Antonio, Texas. I just took my time and pissed off other drivers by being slow and cautious. My biggest learning curve was greater BRAKING DISTANCE with a trailer!!! Brake early and often... Learn it, live it, love it... and all should be well.

Educate yourself about your route of travel, potential hazards/construction, and by God, avoid heavily congested areas (cities) around high-peak driving times (rush hour). That alone will stress you out big time.

Only one other piece of advice... don't load her car down with a bunch of shit in the cab or trunk or your towing weight will skyrocket and the balance of the vehicle will be unpredictable (stuff shifts!). Not too mention, it will be easy picking for a theif when you stay at a hotel/motel. Good luck!

I SHOULD ADD (EDIT): I would not recommend a dolly but a trailer--much more stable, good brakes (RECOMMEND HIGHLY!) and you won't damage your wife's fender's if should need to make tight turns (Fenders from dolly rubbing your wife's fenders if the steering wheel doesn't lock properly--seen this happen before).
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
EDIT: MY 100TH POST! Where is my frickin' cookie?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
tommyc is on a distinguished road
Name: tommy
tommyc's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry Dude I ate them.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
OP,

Price shop the dollies and get the best ,not the cheapest.....then go for it.....
I pulled my Dads boat;26' with a twin axle trailer from West Bath Maine to Ft Myers Florida with his Honda Pilot...over drive was off some of the time only.....V-6s will surprise you...just plan ahead for braking and hills

Towed my wifes Camry to Florida and back on Ryder car dollies......no problems and they seemed sturdier than the orange & white ones....

Moving trips can be great adventures and unless you get a "kick-a$$" deal...shipping with an insured carrier might be same price....if not more.....

Now if any of you young'ns want to tell an Old Man how to "tow"; step up....I drive around all day weighing 36 ton BUT am willing to learn something NEW everyday ....
Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #13

Thanks for all the input. If I decide to do it I will be getting the nicest dolly or trailer I can get my hands for sure. I can definitely understand how that could make the whole trip suck. Kinda looking forward to the ride.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
You won't hurt the truck by doing it. It's more than capable. That's a long tow, but potentially an awesome adventure

Prepare the wallet for the gas bill, but keeping the speed down to 55 - 60 will help a good bit on that.

I'd do it just to say I did it, gotta make that truck earn it's wings
Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
You won't hurt the truck by doing it. It's more than capable. That's a long tow, but potentially an awesome adventure

Prepare the wallet for the gas bill, but keeping the speed down to 55 - 60 will help a good bit on that.

Yea from what everybody is saying it seems like it won't be a problem for the truck. One of the biggest reasons I'm even considering the drive is to make an adventure out of it. I have not been to too many places that would be on that route. I'm plan on finding some cool stuff along the way to check out and make it fun. And definitely bring a bag full of cash to fill the gas tank with, I'm sure that's gonna hurt a bit but oh well.

Thanks for all the input!!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
What the fuck is this? Newb Fight Club? How about everyone settle the fuck down and quite being dicks to each other.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #17
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
DC to boulder, shouldn't even run across any significant hills.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #18
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
DC to boulder, shouldn't even run across any significant hills.
Just the Appalachians through VA & WVA.

KY, IL, MO, KS, and CO are all just rolling hills.

You should be fine.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #19
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post

x2 ... you'll be fine with the right equipment and the adventure will be worth it.

Plan plenty of time so you aren't rushed and can enjoy the trip. Keep your speed down and keep extra space between you and other vehicles for maneuvering and braking. Avoiding the big cities around rush hour is golden advice...if your coming up on a big city during morning or afternoon rush hour...that's a good time for breakfast or dinner on the outskirts of town.

Good luck to you...it'd be nice to see some pics of your trip as a follow up on this thread.

BTW...I chose to disregard the BS name calling, etc.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #20
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
I've pulled several cars with my truck long and short distances. I wouldn't bother getting the dolly though, I would recommend the U-Haul car trailer for like $ 60-70 one day rentals. The advantage is that those trailers come with surge brakes on them and work great. I did run into a problem while renting one because i was going to pull a '63 Studebaker and the rental place said that was out of my towing class, so i just told them i was pulling a sentra or accord instead so they would rent the trailer to me. Your truck will do fine.