Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Boat towing, loading.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Spark Chaser
Dirtbag is on a distinguished road
Dirtbag's Tacoma Gallery
Boat towing, loading.

I have 2wd double cab with 4.0 does anyone with this setup regularly tow a large boat? The manual says its rated to 6500 lbs with towing package ( which i have). The boats that i am looking at on the trailer will be between 5500-6500 lbs. I am pretty sure towing will not be a problem but i am worried about getting it out on the ramp since it is 2wd.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Depeding on the ramp it might be a pain.

PS - Someone might come on here and say boats don't weigh anything when they are in water.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
You should be fine as long as the ramp isn't wet, then you might get a little slippage. Is yours a TRD offroad or sport? You could always use the locker if you start spinning however I would only use it going in a straight line (turn it off once you get to the top of the ramp)

The only boat I tow is a 16' Aluminum john boat which doesn't weigh much.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 20.5 Ft Four Winns Cuddy. Its about 5k unloaded. I dont typically have a problem in 2wd on the boat ramp. The weight of the boat on the tongue gives me enough traction. But I have been to a few ramps I dont use that often and they have a little bit of gravel or are slippery from the water going down. In this case my truck usually wont move and I have to put it in 4wd. It really just depends on the boat ramp conditions but overall I think you should be ok. If you do have problems you can always get a bunch of people to sit in the bed for extra weight/traction. What kind of boat you looking at?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
your info says TRD...is it a sport or an OR?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Spark Chaser
Dirtbag is on a distinguished road
Dirtbag's Tacoma Gallery
Macgyver.... off road.

Looking at 20-24 foot deck or cuddy.

The ramp is my worry as they are not all equal the one i would use most is always slick and the trailer is in sand.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
then you've got the locker to give you traction to exit the ramp. better than open open.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
Macgyver.... off road.

Looking at 20-24 foot deck or cuddy.

The ramp is my worry as they are not all equal the one i would use most is always slick and the trailer is in sand.
Those are pretty heavy boats. IMHO I probably wouldn't want to tow anything bigger than a 20-21 ft long distances b/c of the weight. I've had to upgrade my rear suspension to handle the weight or my boat. I usually only have to tow it 10 miles round trip to the ramp but a couple of weeks ago towed it 8 hours south. I would have felt more comfortable in a bigger truck. These are great trucks dont get me wrong but towing a boat over 22ft might be to much. GL with finding a boat!