1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5lug should I get 4pin or 7pin harness?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 05RedTaco, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Jun 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco [OP] Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    I have lifted 4x2 4cylinder, manual, regular cab, 5lug Taco

I will be getting hitch and towing harness soon. It happened few times over last few months that I needed to tow and I can only see it becoming more frequent as my business takes off...

Now last I towed was a 5x9 single axle trailer I rented from Uhaul. I had the trailer loaded up with heavy top of the line, fridge, stove, dishwasher and over oven microwave, the taco did just fine.

Now eventually I want to get my own 5x8 or 5x9 single axle trailer.

My dilemma is what towing harness to get? Should I get the 4pin harness or does it make sense to get 7pin harness? With 3500lbs towing capacity will my Taco be even able to tow a trailer which needs 7pin harness?

Let me know what you guys think!

2. Jun 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Get a 7 Pin.

It's easier to go from 7-4 than it is to go 4-7

3. Jun 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Depends on what you intend to tow. The harness does not necessarily dictate the trailer weight. There are small trailers with 7-pin harnesses. If you plan on buying a trailer with electronic brakes, wire the 7-pin. If you plan on buying one with no brakes or surge brakes, save some money and wire in a 4-pin. A lot of small utility trailers have no brakes at all. I only wired in a 4-pin and have yet to regret it but that's because it suits my needs. FWIW, I've got a 6 x 10 single axle trailer with no brakes and if I need something enclosed I rent a Uhaul with surge brakes.

One thing to keep in mind, you can always buy a plug in adapter to dumb down your wiring from a 7-pin to a 4-pin, you can't go the other way.

4. Jun 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    alot of trailers, even if they arent loaded up to 3500, still have brakes, so you will need a 7 pin. You can always step down a 7 pin to a 4, good luck going from a 4 to a 7

5. Jun 14, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    Only you can really decide if you ever will see the need to pull a 7 pin trailer. That said if you're asking the question you must think you might. Also for myself I'd rather have it and not use it than need it and not have it. What you could do is maybe put in a plug like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/HM40975.html

I put one in, it needs the matching harness with plug and pig tails. It's a nice plug though, no need for easily lost adapters, and the sealed doors keep the contacts nice and clean. You'd have lights and signals on the 4 pin and 7 pin, but understand that the 7 pin will side will not control any brakes until you add the extra wiring and a brake controller. In a pinch you could pull say a lightly loaded larger trailer on the 7 pin though. It's not ideal but it can be done. A bulky couch or mattress in a borrowed 12' enclosed trailer to keep it clean. No brake control but it will weigh less than a sturdy smaller open trailer with no brakes at all and a load of sod/top soil/gravel.

Sure it's not really ideal to have a 7 pin plug without all the wiring but really, a brand new off the lot Tacoma with tow package has 7 pin wiring and no brake control until you add a brake controller too.

Products Discussed in

To Top