Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

How much can I put in my tacomas bed?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How much can I put in my tacomas bed?

I guess I should say did I put to much in my tacomas bed. I was helping a buddy out and made six trips each with a 1 and 1/2 tons of mulch in the back of the truck according to the scale at the landscaping supplier. Is that too much? My truck didn't seem to sit hardly at all into the suspension, but it did make squeaking noises. I would look at the manual but I dont understand any of the weight ratings they give.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the max payload was around 1400.
I think toyota overbuilds so you should be fine but I imagine you wouldn't want to load up a ton and a half and leave it in there all the time.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Was your exhaust pipe draggin'?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
1 1/2 tons in a 1/3 ton truck is a lot
x2, that's a little much... How did you even fit that much in the bed, 3,000 lbs of mulch is usually pretty large volume-wise.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2, that's a little much... How did you even fit that much in the bed, 3,000 lbs of mulch is usually pretty large volume-wise.
well it was piled above the beadsides and it was a bit wet from rain but it was piled about as high as the cab in the center of the bed and rounded out to the side height pretty much completely filling the bed. And the suspension wasn't hardly compressed at all. In fact it made it about level....
Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
well it was piled above the beadsides and it was a bit wet from rain but it was piled about as high as the cab in the center of the bed and rounded out to the side height pretty much completely filling the bed. And the suspension wasn't hardly compressed at all. In fact it made it about level....
was it planted on the bump stops?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Do a Ctrl+F on this page... the info is in there. It's Wikipedia, so consider the source, but it looks right.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
thats way to much for a tacoma
Old 06-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
im guessing its 1 and 1/2 yard of mulch. not tons.
This.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
im guessing its 1 and 1/2 yard of mulch. not tons.
Was thinking the same thing until he mentioned he was weighed at the supply house's scale. It probably did sit level, once your on the bump stops, you're not going to squat any further.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldn't worry about it, between the 4 tacomas i've owned i've overloaded every one of them way over factory specs with either gravel, mulch, wood or dirt at one time or another. The main thing is don't let it sit in the bed too long becasue it can warp your springs
Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Dakars would help drastically!!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
loaded with 30 bags of mulch, however many yards that would come out to...lol

Old 06-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #17

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
How heavy are those bags? If 50lbs each, that's just 1,500lbs total, which means it's HALF what the OP put in his.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
How heavy are those bags? If 50lbs each, that's just 1,500lbs total, which means it's HALF what the OP put in his.
Probably 40-50lbs or so. I don't know how the OP could fit more than that in his truck with his DCSB.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
Dan05 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Zipper-suited Sun God
Name: Dan
Dan05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
Probably 40-50lbs or so. I don't know how the OP could fit more than that in his truck with his DCSB.

Challenge accepted.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #20

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan05 View Post

Challenge accepted.