Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer

Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullen61918 View Post

we are taking this from Orange County, CA to Tampa, FL.
You might want to either put your mud flaps back on or makeshift some sort of rock/dirt guard for that nice, white BMW. Otherwise you're going to basically sand blast the front end for 2,000 miles.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
cullen61918 will become famous soon enough

cullen61918's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You might want to either put your mud flaps back on or makeshift some sort of rock/dirt guard for that nice, white BMW. Otherwise you're going to basically sand blast the front end for 2,000 miles.
Too late, just did the first 500 miles of the trip. Averaged 15mpg at around 62mph. The front gets beat up on the track anyways, im not sweating it. Thanks though.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #23
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Perfect thread for me to find today! Im trying to tow my 89 4runner which is about 3400lbs and from what im reading here it sounds like it will be ok and has been done?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
mac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud of

Name: Mathew
mac424205's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhed61 View Post
Perfect thread for me to find today! Im trying to tow my 89 4runner which is about 3400lbs and from what im reading here it sounds like it will be ok and has been done?
You will be fine towing it. You won't be able to rent a trailer from UHAUL though... You will have to find someone who has a trailer that you can borrow. Your runner might not weigh much but when UHAUL says no it's because of the combined weight of the vehicle. Also, they don't look at the hitch raiting. The computer looks at the weight of the vehicle. I work at the one here in Pelham, Alabama and we get this a lot. It's a safety thing that the company wants to keep themselves covered on. If the combined weight of the trailer and vehicle exceeds the weight of the truck, then you will not be able to get the trailer. Now I am not suppose to say this but you can always tell them you are putting a mini cooper or something really light on the trailer and put whatever you want. If you do that, don't get the "insurance". If you do get it and something happens then it is voided anyways! lol
Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #25
dewilmoth is on a distinguished road
Navy: Pilot
dewilmoth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac424205 View Post
You will be fine towing it. You won't be able to rent a trailer from UHAUL though... You will have to find someone who has a trailer that you can borrow. Your runner might not weigh much but when UHAUL says no it's because of the combined weight of the vehicle. Also, they don't look at the hitch raiting. The computer looks at the weight of the vehicle. I work at the one here in Pelham, Alabama and we get this a lot. It's a safety thing that the company wants to keep themselves covered on. If the combined weight of the trailer and vehicle exceeds the weight of the truck, then you will not be able to get the trailer. Now I am not suppose to say this but you can always tell them you are putting a mini cooper or something really light on the trailer and put whatever you want. If you do that, don't get the "insurance". If you do get it and something happens then it is voided anyways! lol
Just say you're putting something else on the trailer. Their computer said my Z06 and 360 wouldn't fit on the trailer and I towed both several times. I jut said I was towing a Honda Civic. If you tow a car that is really low, you have to back it on the trailer, but they tow like a champ.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #26
Techno Duck is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
Techno Duck's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for an old thread..

Had some concerns about towing my car yesterday but this thread helped ease my mind a little

Towed my track car to a local shop about 10 miles away yesterday,

The Taco handled it well with no issues. I am just really happy i had the TSB rear springs done! The car has no engine in it currently so it probably weighs a little under 2500lbs, the beast of a trailer is 2000lbs so probably in the area of 4500lbs total. It was my first time towing anything so i was a bit nervous.

It was actually more scary just towing the trailer around, roads here in NY suck and it was bouncing around all over the place even doing 30mph in a 40. Only problem i had was backing up the trailer into the spot at U-Haul when i returned it.. took me like 10 minutes to straighten it out, didnt help i was like boxed in by all the moving vans . Backup camera makes it alot easier though!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
A.T. is on a distinguished road

A.T.'s Tacoma Gallery
Hey

Good thread. It answered a couple questions. I didn't get the independent brakes thing at first. I'm just about to try towing my early 911. Only tricky thing there is having to back onto the trailer to keep the weight upfront. Anybody have advice on that?

Cheers

A.T.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #28
Shadowe30 is on a distinguished road
Name: Colin
Shadowe30's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Hey

Good thread. It answered a couple questions. I didn't get the independent brakes thing at first. I'm just about to try towing my early 911. Only tricky thing there is having to back onto the trailer to keep the weight upfront. Anybody have advice on that?

Cheers

A.T.
When you back the 911 on the trailer, you will not need to put it too far forward or you will have too much tongue weight on the hitch. I would tape up the exhaust tips too.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #29
A.T. is on a distinguished road

A.T.'s Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, Colin.