Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer

Old 06-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
cullen61918 will become famous soon enough

cullen61918's Tacoma Gallery
U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer

Im new to the forum and also new to owning, driving, and towing with a truck. Ive read through a lot of the threads on this forum about towing but would still like to reasure myself before I do something.

I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma T|X Pro, Double Cab, V6, Auto, Shortbed. I believe the max tow rating is around 6,500lbs. I want to tow a 2006 BMW M3 weighted between 3200-3500lbs depending on fuel, extra tool etc to the race track.

I can rent a trailer from U-Haul for no more than $50.00, the trailer is a heavy 2200lbs. So a total of 5400-5700lbs all together w/ vehicle. The U-Haul website asks for the towing vehicle and the vehicle being towed. It computes its math but tells me that it is not compatible.

I believe it can work with everything I have researched so far and read. I believe the only thing I need to buy is a hitch ball, the electrical harness came with the truck, and possibly a break controller? The trailer comes with atomatic hydraulic surge brakes? I believe I need to buy something to operate that.

Any reasurance and help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
U-haul will only rent a car trailer to a person towing it with a full-size truck. Tacomas are considered mid-size or compact regardless of their tow rating.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You do not need anything to operate surge brakes (no extra wiring or brake controller). You need to buy the ball mount and ball and will also need an electrical connector to convert your 7-pole outlet to a 4-pole outlet. Most u-haul places have them for under $10.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
U-haul will only rent a car trailer to a person towing it with a full-size truck. Tacomas are considered mid-size or compact regardless of their tow rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You do not need anything to operate surge brakes (no extra wiring or brake controller). You need to buy the ball mount and ball and will also need an electrical connector to convert your 7-pole outlet to a 4-pole outlet. Most u-haul places have them for under $10.
Thanks for the information, I will see how it turns out. I'll post some pictures when the time comes.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
You should not exceed the weight ratings in your owners manual. GCWR-weight of the loaded truck, trailer, and trailers cargo. Overload your axle or drivetrain and you are asking for trouble. You can overheat, not be able to stop, or break something.
Rent a tow vehicle from uhaul if you are over your truck's limits.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
You should not exceed the weight ratings in your owners manual. GCWR-weight of the loaded truck, trailer, and trailers cargo. Overload your axle or drivetrain and you are asking for trouble. You can overheat, not be able to stop, or break something.
Rent a tow vehicle from uhaul if you are over your truck's limits.
Got it, thanks, Im going to the track on July 9th. I'll post how it goes.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard people having success with saying that they are towing a small VW bug or Mini Cooper. Any other car, even though less than 6500 lbs, and U-Haul will not allow you to rent the auto trailer
Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
I've heard people having success with saying that they are towing a small VW bug or Mini Cooper. Any other car, even though less than 6500 lbs, and U-Haul will not allow you to rent the auto trailer
Im going to try and give it a shot, I have a back up trailer from a friend if it wont work out.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most u-haul places have them for under $10.
They are about double that at U-Haul. If you have time hit the auto parts store. Last time I rented a 6x12 enclosed trailer I had to buy one from them because I left mine on my trailer at home. Now I have one for my trailer and one to keep inside my truck.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you sure? I put in all the fields for my truck and they had recommendations for it.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Just an FYI, the 2010 Tacoma is approved for Uhaul's largest trailer. I went online and I called them today.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
They are about double that at U-Haul. If you have time hit the auto parts store. Last time I rented a 6x12 enclosed trailer I had to buy one from them because I left mine on my trailer at home. Now I have one for my trailer and one to keep inside my truck.
What size hitch ball would you need for the u-haul car trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
just paid 70 last night for a uhaul, u need a trailer and not a dolly with a rwd m3. 12- was insurance so figure 58-

just towed my s2k last night

i've also towed this car (previously around 3000lb) on a roughly 3500lb dump trailer and it towed it fine
looking good, this makes me feel a lot better about doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performula View Post
Are you sure? I put in all the fields for my truck and they had recommendations for it.
Quote:
Just an FYI, the 2010 Tacoma is approved for Uhaul's largest trailer. I went online and I called them today.
Perfect, hope I don't come across any complications.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice that they've updated that systems! They wouldn't let me haul a car with my Tacoma last time I tried.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullen61918 View Post
What size hitch ball would you need for the u-haul car trailer?
Their trailers are adjustable and accept various sizes. I believe I've got a 2" ball on my truck and am able to hook up to Uhaul's trailers.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #16
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Nice that they've updated that systems! They wouldn't let me haul a car with my Tacoma last time I tried.
They also just called and confirmed that I have a "2010 Tacoma." If I roll up there and they reject me, I will be pissed! Hahaha

I'm surprised they rejected you. They seem to be pretty good about safety. You can't rent a trailer without a hard top (Jeep and I assume Hummer H1/H2 variations). Kinda makes sense if the trailer shakes loose, it's too heavy in the rear of the trailer, driver hits brakes in fear, and the trailer nose is a Joust and kills everyone.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #17

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They also just called and confirmed that I have a "2010 Tacoma." If I roll up there and they reject me, I will be pissed! Hahaha

I'm surprised they rejected you. They seem to be pretty good about safety. You can't rent a trailer without a hard top (Jeep and I assume Hummer H1/H2 variations). Kinda makes sense if the trailer shakes loose, it's too heavy in the rear of the trailer, driver hits brakes in fear, and the trailer nose is a Joust and kills everyone.
It was early 2006 when the new Tacomas were only out for a short time. I don't blame them for being cautious considering the towing capabilities of the Gen 1 trucks.

I've been towing with my own car hauler since then. No hassles from the man that way.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #18
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

I just bought a 95 Jeep Wrangler ($825 toy) and had dismissed the transport for the car dolley instead because I thought the combined weight and braking would be an issue. Are you saying the transport has it's own brakes? Will a Jeep be too heavy? My taco has a factory tow package, fwfw
Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
I just bought a 95 Jeep Wrangler ($825 toy) and had dismissed the transport for the car dolley instead because I thought the combined weight and braking would be an issue. Are you saying the transport has it's own brakes? Will a Jeep be too heavy? My taco has a factory tow package, fwfw
The flatbed auto transport trailers from Uhaul have their own self-contained brakes. You only need a flat 4 connection since the brake cylinder is contained within the trailer's tongue.

Read up on Uhaul's criteria (might be best to not tell them what you're towing)...
http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT

The trailer alone weighs about 2,200 lbs, not sure what your new toy weighs.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #20

we are taking this from Orange County, CA to Tampa, FL.