1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing capabilities of Taco '07

Discussion in 'Towing' started by LovinMyTaco07, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Nov 8, 2006 at 1:29 PM
    LovinMyTaco07

LovinMyTaco07 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    We just purchased a beautiful 2007 Tacamo Prerunner Double Cap Long Bed (V6, 4X2). I remember the documentation saying that it's maximum towing capacity is 6,500# and a standard capacity of 3,500#.
    My wife is used to towing with her 3/4 ton Silverado that we traded in for the Tacoma or her boses F550 dualy goseneck truck.... She says she wouldn't be comfortable pulling more than 3,500# in the Tacoma because it is so much lighter... but from what I understand if the trailer has brakes we should be able to safely pull 6,500 lbs which is about what a 3 horse trailer with 3 horses in it would weigh...
    What do you guys say? Any recomendations for a tow hitch?
    :eek:
    Thanks!

2. Nov 8, 2006 at 5:06 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Dude, the maximum towing capacity for your truck is 5,000 pounds for the V6 4X2. The 6,500 capacity is an option. Unless you bought the option, you know the answer.

Re. tow hitch, you need a Class 3 or Class 4 hitch based on your capacity. The truck may appear lighter; it’s the torque that matters and you have 266 ft. pounds and the electric brakes will assist with the braking. Moreover, you have Electronic Brake-Force Distribution. Don’t fool around with this matter. If you have doubts, speak to the experts such as your dealer or trailer hitch manufacturers since they have scientific date to quantify their claim. If you follow their recommendations and things were to go horribly wrong, your liability will be somewhat limited. You may be risking innocent lives with this experiment including that of your horses. Do the right thing. ;) Eat Steak!

3. Nov 8, 2006 at 6:17 PM
    Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Themaster, I have a question for you. I just bought an LED light strip for my Tacoma. It has a 4 pin connector on it. I did'nt want to splice into my new truck if at all possible. When I bought my truck with the towing package, it says that it comes with a 7 pin connector with converter. Do you know what this converter is? Any suggestions on how to wire this light strip to the back of my truck. Thanks

4. Nov 9, 2006 at 5:33 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Jesse,
    Who do you think I am? Toyota Canada technical help desk? Come on dude, I milk cows all day, the traditional way.:eek: . I don’t even own a Tacoma to check. Someone at TW may have an answer for you. I will check with the guys at Toyota when I get some time. What is this light strip for? Can you post a few pictures of the adapters/connectors so we know what you are dealing with. Remember, sometimes you have to slice and sometimes you have to splice. :p Eat Steak

5. Nov 9, 2006 at 1:27 PM
    Truck champion

Truck champion Active Member

Member:
    The 4 pin conector that came in your glove box is for trailer brake control box instalation. Toyota sells a 7 to 4 pin adapter in their parts department that you can use.

6. Nov 9, 2006 at 4:47 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
  7. Jul 24, 2022 at 8:57 AM
    '55 Airlight

'55 Airlight Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Your wife shows great intuition. A 3500# trailer, plus all the load in your truck bed, plus you and your wife plus the hitch weight probably begins to approach maximum capacity. NOBODY smart
    wants to be at maximum capacity — that’s when stuff goes sideways, parts fail, things break.

8. Jul 24, 2022 at 9:01 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660

Nice. A replying to a member who hasn’t logged in for 13 years on a thread that is 16 years old. Out of curiosity, what sequence of events brought you to this old thread?

Chew and Bishop84 like this.
  9. Jul 24, 2022 at 11:13 AM
    '55 Airlight

'55 Airlight Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    I was prompted by an email from Tacomaworld directing me to the post to which I replied. Because I was on my couch, not at my desk, I responded on my phone. Even so, not being a frequent poster, I have not been in the habit of inspecting dates. I likely will in the future. Thanks for your inquiry.

Products Discussed in

To Top