Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Which hitch is tucked up the farthest?

Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Which hitch is tucked up the farthest?

I have a 2011 Tacoma prerunner (2.7) and didn't come with a towing package. I want to order one that tucks up the furthest under the truck. This will help with looks from the side.

Preferably one that is lightweight, (have only small 4x8 trailer).

Drawtight - open side bar, question is, can you see this from the side once installed?

Hidden hitch - open side bar, question same as above about seeing the inside of the bar once mounted? I believe these draw tight/hidden hitch are the same hitch.

Curt - looks like this weighs about 8 more pounds and has steel side plates covering the inner tube, this looks better. Have heard their is some light drilling to open the holes to get it to line up. I wonder if the flat sides (concealed side plates prevents corrosion from inner tube), also wonder if it prevents drag. I know I have been watching to much NASCAR when aerodynamics of a trailer hitch come to mind

Valley/U-haul - I hear many good things about these, but prefer the receiver portion of the hitch to be under the cross bar (ie; crossbar over the top, welded to receiver tube) to allow for zero visibility of the main tube from back of vehicle.

I'm not sure if anyone was thinking these things before picking one. My concerns are not ease of installation or having to tweak or drill to get it installed. Moreso light and out of site. Don't want to add more lbs than needed (to keep mpg high).

Any pointers or insight would help allot, would like to order from etrailer this weekend.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Are Hidden Hitch and Drawtight really the same???

On etrailer it shows Hiddenhitch at 43 lbs and Drawtight at 39 lbs (shipping weight)?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
here is a pick of a uhaul hitch installed on my tacoma

from behind you can only see the receiver looks very discreet

If its a really light trailer you can tow 3500lbs by just putting a ball through your bumper
Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorola View Post
If its a really light trailer you can tow 3500lbs by just putting a ball through your bumper
Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorola View Post
here is a pick of a uhaul hitch installed on my tacoma

from behind you can only see the receiver looks very discreet

How much did the uhaul hitch run you?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
if you just have a lil trailer why not tow it off the bumper ball?

The only reason i ever got a hitch on my old truck was for towing my dads jeep ... had no problem towing a uhaul 5x8 before that
Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

I just bought a Kawasaki Teryx I don't know the actual weight but it seems pretty heavy to be towing off of the bumper. I towed it with my wife's Grand Cherokee and it squated it pretty good.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i say ove you go over 1200lbs you get a tow hitch. i know first hand. (bumper bent down)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Buy my stock one, its for sale
Old 07-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Hidden hitch tucks up pretty tight because the receiver box itself is welded onto the bottom of the cross member. You don't see much of the hitch when looking at the truck from the back.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
fauskar is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
fauskar's Tacoma Gallery
I'll second that, Hidden hitch class IV. Only the receiver (box) is visiblewhen standing behind the vehicle.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #13

I just ordered a Uhaul hitch. I did some research and they are tucked up pretty far.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
This one:

Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
You and your fancy bumper

OP, I think thats it ^^
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
You and your fancy bumper

OP, I think thats it ^^

Heh, I ain't the only one with this thing by any shot. I just like to pimp an awesome product and company when I can.

Awesome bumper number 2 is due in a matter of weeks
Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Heh, I ain't the only one with this thing by any shot. I just like to pimp an awesome product and company when I can.

Awesome bumper number 2 is due in a matter of weeks
Just givin ya a hard time, I wish he made one that style for a 1st gen.