Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

U-Haul 5X8: What size drop hitch do I need?

Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
U-Haul 5X8: What size drop hitch do I need?

As the subject line states, I'll be towing a Uhaul 5X8 trailer about 600 miles, mostly down I95. Obviously I'd like as few problems as possible so I'm trying to figure out what size drop I'll need. I have the (crappy) 3 leaf springs and a 1.5" AAL. Walmart has a package deal http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towp...r-Kit/16349667 I'm considering but I'm not sure if it will be enough of a drop.

What say you?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
is one of the sharper tools in the shed
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
truckboattruck's Tacoma Gallery
which ever keeps the trailer level
Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
which ever keeps the trailer level
X2..get out your tape measure. Make sure the components are rated for the weight you'll be towing and get the right ball size. I get mine from a trailer supply outlet and let them torque the nut on the ball. 12" wrench won't do it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Wilson the one in the link is a lot of drop.
I tow an enclosed trailer & have rented the Uhaul same size you are talking with 2" drop ~ 3/4" rise from WalMart. We both have same truck minus the tsb.
Etrailer sells them cheaper but then there is shipping cost.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i would say a 2-3 inch drop.

edit: go to a place that has u hauls, back up to one and just see how far a ball would need to be down so its level
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Beating Anorexia since 1976
OmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OmahaStylee's Tacoma Gallery
More than likely, U-Haul will have what you need on hand & could sell you one.

I've been pulling the 5x8 for the last couple years when I go on vacation.
Works great for hauling my motorcycle to the mountains.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got that same kit and have a similar set-up in the rear (1.5" AAL but mine's on the TSB leaf pack w/ overload still installed) and that drop worked well for me when towing the Uhaul 5x8. The trailer seemed pretty level when loaded. I used the same drop when I hauled a 6x12 before the AAL and it worked also but the trailer was tilted forward slightly.