Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Rusted hitch still safe?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Kraut is on a distinguished road
Kraut's Tacoma Gallery
Rusted hitch still safe?

An aftermarket hitch came with my 2003 V6 Tacoma but it looks pretty weathered. I took it off today to get a better look. Most of the paint has separated and it is covered in varying degrees of rust. I'm wondering if I could just sandblast it and keep using it or if I should just buy a new one. I'm about to move my girlfriend with a 6x12 Uhaul trailer. Anyone have advice to offer? Thanks

Inside mounting bracket:

Heres what it looked like after I went at it with a wire brush:
Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
looks fine to me. Just get that rust off and treat it with some kind of paint over rust product to prevent it from getting worse.

I want to see the frame on your truck
Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
looks fine to me. Just get that rust off and treat it with some kind of paint over rust product to prevent it from getting worse.

I want to see the frame on your truck
x2, the rust seems to be more on the surface rather than pitting in and rusting through.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Pick up a wire wheel and throw it in a drill. A lot faster than a brush.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Sheesh, I would sandblast that. As long as the welds and thickness are good, should be OK.

Oh, that reminds me, I still need to repaint and install the one I bought...
Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Kraut's Tacoma Gallery
I did use a drill to blast off what I could. I'm thinking of going the sandblasting route. As for the frame, its seen better days for sure but its not nearly as bad as the hitch. Right before I bought it the truck went to the dealership for the rust issue that affects 1st gens. It passed their inspection and they put a fresh coat of undercoating on. Over 160k miles so far and no signs of slowing down.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
An aftermarket hitch came with my 2003 V6 Tacoma but it looks pretty weathered. I took it off today to get a better look. Most of the paint has separated and it is covered in varying degrees of rust. I'm wondering if I could just sandblast it and keep using it or if I should just buy a new one. I'm about to move my girlfriend with a 6x12 Uhaul trailer. Anyone have advice to offer? Thanks

Inside mounting bracket:

Heres what it looked like after I went at it with a wire brush:

dam how big is she?

just kidding haha

x2 on picking up a wire wheel!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Kraut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
dam how big is she?
She's small but she's REALLY fiesty
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
el dudarino is on a distinguished road

el dudarino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
dam how big is she?

just kidding haha

x2 on picking up a wire wheel!

lol

We have a local place that does headstones and they sand blast whatever you bring them. Usually $40 for stuff that will keep them busy for about 1/2 an hour. Always much easier especially with the inside corners.