Notices

Gen 1 Brake Controler

Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
BBJ285 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Volunteer
Name: John
BBJ285's Tacoma Gallery
Gen 1 Brake Controler

Has anyone installed one...or have any pics?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
anvilmanco is on a distinguished road
anvilmanco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if this fits here, or not, but I just figured out how to wire up my older PRODIGY Brake controller to my 2007 Tacoma TRD Sport, using the Toyota supplied Pigtail and the Pigtail from the PRODIGY. I wrote to Tekonsha and this is what they said:

Today, I heard back from their Technical Service Coordinator and he finalized what I had come to believe.The Green is not needed.

Here's what they said:

TOYOTA HARNESS****************PRODIGY HARNESS ********FUNCTION
Black w/ Red Tracer --------------------- BLACK ------------------------ 12 Volt
Green ---------------------------------------------N/A ----------------------------Illumination ( wonder if I could use this lead for some LED's somewhere hmmmmmmmm )
Green w/ White Tracer ----------------------RED ---------------------------Stoplight
BROWN ----------------------------------------White ----------------------------Ground
RED ----------------------------------------------Blue --------------------------Trailer Brakes

So, that's the way I'll do it, and I've seen plenty of ideas of where to install it. I'm going to use the Pocket Bracket that came with the controller so I can remove it when not towing. It was difficult to remove the way it was installed using the permanent bracket on the Tahoe.

Hope this helps someone.

EKW / TRDBIRD
Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

BBJ285's Tacoma Gallery
The 2007 is a Gen 2(2005-current), the Gen 1(95 1/2-2004) does NOT have a pig tail...that's why I would like to know if anyone has done one.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
chopperbbt is on a distinguished road
chopperbbt's Tacoma Gallery
I know i am no help but i have a 2003 and have all supplies but i have been UNABLE to locate the wire coming from the brake to use..... This is about to get the best of me. If you have taken care of yours i will love to hear some pointers.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #5

BBJ285's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't done this yet. I did find this link on etrailer that give what harness to order...
http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2003_Toyota_Tacoma.htm

I will probably get this and take it to a RV dealer, or let the guys here at the dealership do it.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
anvilmanco is on a distinguished road
anvilmanco's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I can't help with your Gen 1 problem, but I did want to follow up on my installation. I finally took the door sill cover off (got my fingers under it and it popped up), then the Emergency Brake foot rest (same way), then removed the one Knob holding the Kick Panel in place, then pulled the Kick panel out and off it's pop in points.
Then, after a lot of "feeling around in there", I finally found the Pigtail. From there on, it was a piece of cake. Plugged the Toyota Pigtail in (I had connected the wires as above, by soldering, heat shrinking over) then mounted the Prodigy to the Dash right under the Cubby on the left. I used the Pocket bracket that came with the Prodigy.
I've only banged into it a few times but I liked the placement anyway. Everything works great and I've towed the Trailer all the way to San Diego without a problem.

Everything I took off went back just fine so everything looks brand new.

Thanks for all your help.

EKW
Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i would also like to know what i need to do to get a brake controller installed on my 2000 tacoma. no pig-tail from the factory so it has to be manually wired in. i've been reading all about it for the past week and i'm still confused. i really do not want to spend $350 on installation though if at all possible.

any love for the first gen's??