1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I do it?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by coldsmoke, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Jul 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    coldsmoke

coldsmoke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Just wanted some feedback on a towing job/trip. I have an 05 Doublecab 4x4 short box with a 6 speed. It has the engine oil cooler and the factory towing hitch. Just gave it a big tune up (plugs, filters, new oil in engine, tranny and rear diff). Electric brake controller installed.

I need to tow a 28' / 4100 lbs about 2500 miles and I want to make sure I'm not going to kill the truck. I've towed a fair bit with 3/4 and 1 tons with heavy loads, but I really don't want to damage the Taco. I went for a short spin and I could definitely feel it back there. The one issue I did have was mirrors, couldn't see the trailer wwwaaaayyyy back there.

Whaddya think? Doable or not-able?

2. Jul 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    That sounds like a pretty big trailer.:cool:

3. Jul 11, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Just finished a 2300 mile trip from California to Texas with my 26' travel trailer weighing in at at least 5200# and had two Honda EU2000i generators, 10 gallons of gas, 10# propane tank and 4 bikes in the bed of my truck. I was driving alone (wife was following with the two kids). I know for this trip I was pushing it for weight but it was a one time thing since I was relocating and didn't have much of a choice. I was very very pleasantly surprised and extremely happy with my 05 Tacoma with over 115,000 miles on it. Pulled across the heat of the New Mexico desert and up into the 8000+ mountain ranges of Durango, CO and never once had a problem. Worse "issue" I would say was the fact that the Taco has only a 21 gallon tank and with some of the head winds I was hitting I was getting about 6mph. I will add though that I don't tow above 60mph unless I have to as trailer tires are not rated for more than about that for long durations due to the amount of heat they build up. Speed limits on some of the roads were 75!! and there's no way even if I wanted to that I could have maintained that.. nor would I have done so with that much weigh on a pseudo 1/2 ton truck.

You definitely won't kill the truck but you will have to get used to 3rd gear at times and 4000rpm which is the most I ever hit in any gear.

4. Aug 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    coldsmoke

coldsmoke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Gave 'r a tune up, changed the juice in the engine, tranny and rear pumpkin and 3k miles later she's running great (that, and I added an "add a leaf" for an extra 1500lbs). A little squarely getting passed by semi's if I wasn't paying attention. All in all - impressive!

IMG_0005.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top