1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing setup with high clearance rear bumper

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 85yote09taco, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    Just curious to see if anyone had pics out there of their tacoma towing with a high clearance rear bumper. I'm so excited to get one but have some concerns on how I'm going to make it work with towing my 18foot travel trailer. I guess i'll have to get a huge drop hitch but do they make them with sway bars? I'm new to towing especially with a trailer with brakes, any advice would be great! Thanks

2. Jul 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
  3. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
    Dang I should have snapped a picture last time I was towing a trailor. I dont have a drop hitch and the trailor just looked stupid and was almost scraping in the back. I would defenintly recomend getting a drop hitch, but I wouldnt get one with to much drop as the structural integrity is probably weakened with to much drop.

4. Jul 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Mike330R

Mike330R Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    How tall is your lift?
    There are plenty of drop hitches that are very strong.

How heavy is your trailer? Seems like an 18' trailer towed by a V6 would be excessive?

5. Jul 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    I have the Equilizer Hitch and it will only drop 2" from where it's adjusted for stock. Does the manufacturer rate the class # of the hitch receiver? Unless they are willing to give it at least a class 3 rating I would be concerned for the size trailer you're talking about. Sway bars will put alot more pressure on the the receiver. For this size trailer I'll stick with the stock class 4 hitch.

[​IMG]

6. Jul 24, 2011 at 3:52 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
  7. Jul 28, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    the new reciever is not and can not be rated, but I'm sure its plenty as I dont intend on hauling heavy trailers. My travel trailer is actually a 16' and to be honest I towed it a few times with my current reciever(not far) and my truck handled it very well. I think the trailer is labeled 3k lbs but I'm not sure that it is. It is a pretty light trailer, I just bought a brake box for my truck and have a meeting with a guy who should be able to hook me up as he has an RV shop. I'll take pictures and start a new thread when done.

Products Discussed in

To Top