Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

hauling a bike with uhal motorcycle trailer

Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #21
I'm different, in a different way
franzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
franzcars's Tacoma Gallery
withe the trailer it's much lower than the bed, aka easy to push up the ramp.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #22
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quit being a puss and put it on your roof like real men do.

lol j/k
Old 07-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx View Post
withe the trailer it's much lower than the bed, aka easy to push up the ramp.
Back the truck up to a curb or ditch. If you plan it right, you can make it so the bike actually goes downhill onto the bed of the truck. Renting a trailer to tow a 250 is ridiculous, 2 people can lift it onto the truck, it's not a heavy bike. Save youself some money and get to it!

Also, you don't push a motorcycle up a ramp, you walk next to it and let the bike's engine do the work. Put the bike in first and feather the clutch so it drives itself up the ramp. 2 people can very easily steady a bike on a ramp. Get 2 ramps, one to walk on, one for the bike.

Look at the 3rd picture in this thread to see what I mean about backing up to a ditch so you're pushing the bike up a steep ramp.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...dcsb-pics.html
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #24
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Let's think about this for a moment. Guy who's just leaning how to drive wants to tow a trailer. This is where a parent usually steps in and says, "Let's not put the cart before the horse!" Towing is difficult enough without being anexperienced driver. One error in making a corner can send your trailer out of control, and turn your nice toys into twisted metal.
I'm all for learning new skills, but one thing at a time.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #25
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
you have three options in my book...and i have done all of them.

1) stop being a puss and ride the damn thing home. your never gonna learn till u hop and go (did this)...07 gsxr 600

2) get a atv/motorcycle ramp and place it on the tailgate...use the straps to secure it, and three able bodied bros...one on each side and one in the back...guid it up the ramp w/o the motor on. VERY EASY

3) Get a few guys and just lift the thing up. and then to get it down back up to a hill and plop it down.

either 3 are all easy. Id go with number one cas i know when i got my bike i couldnt sleep for 3 days before picking it up and knew id learn as i went along with it...as long as u know the basics...clutch, hand brake, foot brake you be fine.

good luck
Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #26
franzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

my friends parents shop does u-haul so i could prolly rent it for free. also my dad'd prolly drive the truck not me. any body know of some fairly cheap ramps? i'll prolly get mine from Home depot
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #27
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
my friends parents shop does u-haul so i could prolly rent it for free. also my dad'd prolly drive the truck not me. any body know of some fairly cheap ramps? i'll prolly get mine from Home depot
2 decent length 2x10's (I think mine are 8') and they make bolt on ends. Cheap, decent ramps and you should be able to find the end kit I'm referring to at Home Depot or Lowes. The only bad part is transporting them because they don't fold in half. If you want those, Ohio Steel makes great folding aluminum ramps that aren't crazy expensive. If you google Ohio Steel Ramps, you'll find online retailers for them.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #28
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
just push it up a ramp! you’r in a 5 lug! that should be easy as cutting a pice of cake! me and dad pulled the tundra down the drive way. so the ramp was not as steep. and pushed a 418 pound atv up in it. the tail gate was till higher than you’r will be.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #29
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Don't feel bad about not putting it in the bed.
Loading a bike up a ramp isn't a big deal once you get used to it, but until you've done it a bit it can feel precarious.
Especially since you are just getting your first bike and haven't ridden or learned the feel of the bike yet. Better safe than sorry.
And contrary to what some others have said, it's not that light compared to bigger sportbikes.... 10 years ago it was the case, but over the last several years the bigger bikes have gone on diets big time to get to the 400lb range, which is about the same as that 250.
And I commend your bike choice. Lots of people call them "Ninjettes" or "Baby Ninjas" or say it's a girl's bike, but it's good to start with a smaller bike while you learn.
I've had a dozen or so bikes, and my first 2 were 250 Ninjas (then a 400cc before jumping to 1000+cc). Now my wife has a 250 Ninja.
>>Off the soap box<<
Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions, or find a good 250 Ninja forum. They have a cult following so there is tons of good info out there.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by horwitzs View Post
Don't feel bad about not putting it in the bed.
Loading a bike up a ramp isn't a big deal once you get used to it, but until you've done it a bit it can feel precarious.
Especially since you are just getting your first bike and haven't ridden or learned the feel of the bike yet. Better safe than sorry.
And contrary to what some others have said, it's not that light compared to bigger sportbikes.... 10 years ago it was the case, but over the last several years the bigger bikes have gone on diets big time to get to the 400lb range, which is about the same as that 250.
And I commend your bike choice. Lots of people call them "Ninjettes" or "Baby Ninjas" or say it's a girl's bike, but it's good to start with a smaller bike while you learn.
I've had a dozen or so bikes, and my first 2 were 250 Ninjas (then a 400cc before jumping to 1000+cc). Now my wife has a 250 Ninja.
>>Off the soap box<<
Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions, or find a good 250 Ninja forum. They have a cult following so there is tons of good info out there.

thanks for the info. i know ill load it in the bed eventualy but not now
Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #31
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
I guess maybe my post got overlooked.... just lift that bitch. It isnt heavy. Strap it in and you are good. We rode 1 mile with a bike unstrapped in the back of my truck with just my buddy holding it and nothing bad happened... a ninja 250 weights under 350lbs so you could easily lift that with 2 guys. Dont bother with the ramp.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #32
Internet Winner
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
I guess maybe my post got overlooked.... just lift that bitch. It isnt heavy. Strap it in and you are good. We rode 1 mile with a bike unstrapped in the back of my truck with just my buddy holding it and nothing bad happened... a ninja 250 weights under 350lbs so you could easily lift that with 2 guys. Dont bother with the ramp.
it probably got over looked for a reason. 400lbs in the weight room is one thing, a ton of weight, 400lbs in the real world is hole different thing....an ass fucking ton of weight. like mentioned above ninjas are almost 400lbs, quit trying to prove your strong, no one cares.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
it probably got over looked for a reason. 400lbs in the weight room is one thing, a ton of weight, 400lbs in the real world is hole different thing....an ass fucking ton of weight. like mentioned above ninjas are almost 400lbs, quit trying to prove your strong, no one cares.
... I'm not trying to prove I am strong... I am saying me and my buddy picked up his gsxr600 no issue. 400lbs divided by two isnt much weight. Why waste money on ramps he might only use once?

oh but now I see he can use the uhaul for free so why not?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #34
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah i'd ratehr not risk that when i'd hav JUST gotten the bike. im not saying i'd rent a trailer everytime but i'd rather make it easy. that would b the first time i've been on a full sized bike. we'd hav my cousin test ride it for us then we'd take it home and i'd take the corse and have fun
You won't have any problem putting it back of the truck but I see why you'd want to use a trailer. If you have the towing package, you should only need the 4-pin adapter, if anything.

One thing you'll need is a set of good quality tie downs. For the Ninja, you might also want a Canyon Dancer--this spans the bars and keeps the tie-downs off the plastics (the tie downs attach to it and it slips over the bar ends). A second set of tie downs would help you keep the back of the bike from hoping around--just use the passenger as your tie points.

Good luck with your MSF class and enjoy your new motorcycle.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #35
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Just thinking about it...screw driving it up on ramps.

Build a ramp and jump the bike into the bed. Much cooler this way and the ladies love that kind of awesomeness.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #36

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Just thinking about it...screw driving it up on ramps.

Build a ramp and jump the bike into the bed. Much cooler this way and the ladies love that kind of awesomeness.
http://youtu.be/E5Ht2CkX13E
Old 07-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #37
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
what a moron
doesn't look like they broke anything, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysrgood View Post
Why not walk it up the ramp?

True though, it was tricky the first few times I loaded my 600rr up, but with practice it was easier. Walking it up in gear seemed easiest for me.

Don't do this :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmaVlJmHgGc
Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #38
tam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tam
tam's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, it's a 250, back up to the curb and lift it in to the back of your truck. That's what 6 inches? I used to use my truck to "chase" my friends on their bikes until they lost me in the twisties in case anything happened. One time we had an R6 fail and it took 3 of us to lift it into the back of the truck but the fact is we did it. Just make sure you have ratcheting straps to tie it down.

Why bother getting a trailer getting the truck set up for towing, borrowing the trailer, returning the trailer? Hell, you said your cousin is going to test ride it for you, why can't he ride it home for you?