Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

hauling a bike with uhal motorcycle trailer

Old 07-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
I'm different, in a different way
franzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
franzcars's Tacoma Gallery
hauling a bike with uhal motorcycle trailer

we'll im thinking of getting a ninja 250 when i turn 15 1/2 which is when i can get my motorcycle permit. but i would not want to try and ride it home cause i'd proly not have it when i'd buy the bike. so i was thinking i'd rent a u haul motorcycle trailer and hooking it to the ball i have on bumper. i measured the height and its right around 21" to the top of the ball, which would lower a bit cause i dont have the tsb leafs and its a 2wd 4 banger. any ideas?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
So what will be the weight of the trailer, with the bike on it? That's the question.
I'd say chances are you are ok. What is the height of that Uhaul trailer hitch? Most of us probably don't know that either (just like the weight).
Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Not exactly sure what you are asking for... That bike is only about 425 lbs and the trailer won't weight that much, so you'd have no trouble with weight at all if that is what you are worried about.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
People count halfs for age?

Pow it. You will be fine.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Is your truck wired for a trailer? If not, that's something uhaul can do for you if you want, but you'll need it done before renting the trailer. Either way, once you're wired up you shouldn't have any problem with the ninja, just make sure you have good tie downs.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
franzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i was mainly concerned with the ball ion the bumper, i know i can tow the weight i just dont know if u guys think it is to high. i think thats the high on most hitches . basicly is the ball so high that it will b up at a high angle?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Call me crazy, but why not just put the bike in the bed of the truck?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Call me crazy...but how are you going to drive it home with the truck legally @ 15.5 years old?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, I get what you are saying...
You want the front tire to have good contact with the front of the trailer to help keep it from moving side to side. A steep angle might make that difficult.
Have you seen the trailer? Does it have a chock of any sort that secures the front wheel?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it on their web site; It does have a notch in the front for the wheel.
Just make sure the straps are nice and tight so it won't creep backward, and maybe run extra straps from the passenger peg brackets to the side rails and you should be alright.
Honestly I doubt it will have that much of an angle for you to worry about.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
the boss man
trek is on a distinguished road
trek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Call me crazy...but how are you going to drive it home with the truck legally @ 15.5 years old?
X2
Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx View Post
i was mainly concerned with the ball ion the bumper, i know i can tow the weight i just dont know if u guys think it is to high. i think thats the high on most hitches . basicly is the ball so high that it will b up at a high angle?
You'll definitely be fine height wise, I hooked up one of those uhaul trailers and put my honda cx on it, which weighs about 550lbs, and my truck's a 4x4 and the angle was fine, no issues at all.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #12

i have my permit, so ill have a parent with me? also with the bed, it'd b had and i wouldnt want to ride it into the bed cause i'd b woried it fall off the ramp
Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
toysrgood is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Paul
toysrgood's Tacoma Gallery
Why not walk it up the ramp?

True though, it was tricky the first few times I loaded my 600rr up, but with practice it was easier. Walking it up in gear seemed easiest for me.

Don't do this :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmaVlJmHgGc
Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #14

yeah i'd ratehr not risk that when i'd hav JUST gotten the bike. im not saying i'd rent a trailer everytime but i'd rather make it easy. that would b the first time i've been on a full sized bike. we'd hav my cousin test ride it for us then we'd take it home and i'd take the corse and have fun
Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #15
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
just an FYI. as long as you DON’T think about crashing loading it you wont. now when you are thing about crashing is when you crash. i have loaded atvs and dirt bikes in to the tundra on 6” ramps. tundra+6’ ramps= kinda steep. and every time i was doing it and thinking/ worried about crashing is when i crashed. now when i just set the ramps up and drove up it did fine. and straps the ramps to the truck. you can do it to the bumper they don’t need to be tight just SNUG a nuff they they wont slide back. and don’t stop mid way up.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Just wheelie up the tailgate. The cab will stop you.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #17

i know it can b done, but having never ridden a motorcycle b4 it'd b so much easier to use a trailer. thanks for the help guys
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #18
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of bike is it? Me and my buddy lifted his gsxr600 in the bad of my dakota no problem and didnt strap it in. Why not do that?

edit: ninja 250 get 2 decent size guys and lift that bitch in the bed end of story.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #19
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
buy two ramps, use one to walk up and use the other the get the bike up, just be gently on the throttle and youll be fine
Old 07-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx View Post
yeah i'd ratehr not risk that when i'd hav JUST gotten the bike. im not saying i'd rent a trailer everytime but i'd rather make it easy. that would b the first time i've been on a full sized bike. we'd hav my cousin test ride it for us then we'd take it home and i'd take the corse and have fun
Whether it's going into the bed or onto a trailer, you're still going to have to push it up a ramp. A 2wd non-prerunner isn't gonna be much higher than a trailer, if at all.