Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

? for those that tow with the 2.7 4cyl...

Old 07-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
? for those that tow with the 2.7 4cyl...

I have a 2010 4cyl ac 5mt 4x4. I know its rated for 3500lbs. im looking into getting a small boat (17-18' bowrider or something like that). my gf is also looking into a small horse trailer so we dont have to use the one ton and gooseneck all the time. how do these trucks tow at the 3000-3500 lbs mark? i know it wont be like the v6 or a full size v8. im just asking if it is realistic to tow the max 3500 lbs. until now i thought the 2.7 was great (20 mpgs with 265's). now im concerned that if i really want a boat i will need to upgrade to a v6. i do have the rear tsb and i believe the brakes are the same on the 4 and 6 cyls, so stopping and handling 3500 lbs should be comparable, but will it be nightmare getting it going?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
anyone???
Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
welll... i wouldnt go over 3000lbs.
on my truck with stock tires this is what i tow and have some trouble.
1700-2000lb pop up camper loaded (no wind resistance)
2 dirtbikes (500lbs)
gear drinks gas food(150lbs???)
2 people (350lbs)

not much trouble on flat. but hills are a bitch... 2nd gear on the bigger ones.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
welll... i wouldnt go over 3000lbs.
on my truck with stock tires this is what i tow and have some trouble.
1700-2000lb pop up camper loaded (no wind resistance)
2 dirtbikes (500lbs)
gear drinks gas food(150lbs???)
2 people (350lbs)

not much trouble on flat. but hills are a bitch... 2nd gear on the bigger ones.
i was planning on keeping it around 3000 if possible. mostly nervous about smoking the clutch. back when i bought the truck i said oh, 3500lbs thats a small boat no problem, now starting to wonder if i should have sprung for a v6.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
champs s10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Travis
champs s10's Tacoma Gallery
Just the other day I scraped my parts car 68 chevelle without motor or trans and it alone weighted alittle over a ton and my car hauler is about 30 years old home made and it alone weights 2200 pounds plus tools and 150 pounds chains and me and my grandfather made it 50 miles round trip not much problem but I knew it was there
Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Towing to the max will require brake controller, trans cooler, towing clutch fan, wd hitch, sway controller, LT rated tires.

Edit: No trans cooler for you. Auto only.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Try it out first.

If you are not happy, then trade up.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
I've towed quite a bit with mine. Granted its a 1st gen but I've towed a 16' bumper pull livestock trailer with 5 full grown cows and a horse. You should be fine.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99taco27505 View Post
I've towed quite a bit with mine. Granted its a 1st gen but I've towed a 16' bumper pull livestock trailer with 5 full grown cows and a horse. You should be fine.
You were pulling around nearly 6k lbs in stock, and that's without the trailer weight? Poor truck
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
You were pulling around nearly 6k lbs in stock, and that's without the trailer weight? Poor truck
Yeah my poor truck keeps suprising me on what it can do. I really think 1st gens are meteor proof. I also have a photo of my truck towing a 500 gallon water tank on a trailer.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
towed a 17' starcraft boat from PA.to lake ontario. knew I had a small problem when I was on the tpk. and going up small grades doing 35 mph, flat to the floor,in 3rd gear. made it up and back, then got the trans. rebuilt because the brgs. were making noise. after that I bought a chevy truck just to tow the boat. 4-cyl. towed deep v 14' boat just fine,also small army trailer that we took to maine,but there's a limit as to what it will tow. this was the 2.4 22-RE ,not a 2.7. don't even want to try to tow the starcraft with my 2.7. I'll stick with the chevy for that.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 16' aluminum boat with mine. Don't think I'd want to tow much more. It gets the job done, but I'm working the truck.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 18ft bowrider (3.0 sterndrive)....its a struggle starting on hills, other than that she performs fine. Weight is around 2500 lbs. and i couldn't imagine trying to tow double that.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #14

The one thing that has been proven by many people, myself included, is that loading/towing over a vehicle's ratings is related, inversely proportional, to how long it lasts. To wit: the harder you push it, the quicker it will break or wear out.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
I would be very interested to see if anyone with the 4 cyl had a turbo installed and how much difference the performance would be. I am not interested in maxing out or exceeding the capability of the truck, rather better performance while towing/hauling. Last i checked the turbo package was around 3 grand. Any data could sway me in purchasing the turbo in the near future.