Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

2.7L towing add on needs

Old 07-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
2.7L towing add on needs

Currently I have a frame mounted hitch and a 4 pin plug installed. Also, the TSB rear leaf spring has been done. I want to tow an 1800 lb (dry) travel trailer (no trailer brakes). Fully loaded, lets say we are at 2500 lbs. Should I upgrade the Battery and Alternator, or is this necessary if I do not have a true 7 pin connection? Is there anything I should do to be set up better for towing this trailer? Since I have a manual, no tranny cooler is available correct? Please share your words of wisdom, and or advice to set up the truck to tow this trailer without issues.
Thanks...
Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Its funny, I just sold a great tow vehicle, a 7.3 Diesel Excursion 4x4, and bought this Truck thinking my tow needs have changed, and I only have my 16 ft boat to tug around these days. I never thought I would consider towing anything else again. Then, I was introduced to the trailer below, which is light enough I believe to be towed by my new truck. And, since I sold our 26 ft travel trailer, my wife has missed it, and since the kids are on their own, we thought it may be fun to consider the smaller 13 ft trailer for us to do a few trips together, no kids. I am not a novice to trailering, but towing with a 2.7L Toyota is new to me. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Check out the link below...

http://livinlite.com/camplite-gallery.php
Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you are at 2500 then you are 1000 below the limit. Tranny coolers are only for autos. I don't think you will need the higher amp alternator. I'm not sure about your state but anything over 1500 lbs in CA needs trailer brakes.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Prerunners Work

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If you are at 2500 then you are 1000 below the limit. Tranny coolers are only for autos. I don't think you will need the higher amp alternator. I'm not sure about your state but anything over 1500 lbs in CA needs trailer brakes.
Born & raised in SD (a fighting Aztec), but currently residing in FL. So, your saying if I bought this trailer in CA, the manufacturer would have to supply brakes for any trailer they sold over 1500 lbs, or?