Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Do I need sway control or any other additions for a popup?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
szembek is on a distinguished road
szembek's Tacoma Gallery
Do I need sway control or any other additions for a popup?

Looking at a popup that weighs 2600 empty. I have an 03 tacoma xtracab with the V6. According to the color on my fan clutch it's rated to tow 3500lbs. I'll need to get a trailer brake controller installed. Other than that is there anything I should plan on needing or possibly needing? I read about sway control hitches and weight dstributing hitches and stuff, but am unsure if that is necessary for a low profile unit like I'm looking at. I've towed 2500lbs with no issue in the past, but that was not on the highway with big rigs zipping by. I was going to have the local trailer place install the brake controller. Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by szembek View Post
Looking at a popup that weighs 2600 empty. I have an 03 tacoma xtracab with the V6. According to the color on my fan clutch it's rated to tow 3500lbs. I'll need to get a trailer brake controller installed. Other than that is there anything I should plan on needing or possibly needing? I read about sway control hitches and weight dstributing hitches and stuff, but am unsure if that is necessary for a low profile unit like I'm looking at. I've towed 2500lbs with no issue in the past, but that was not on the highway with big rigs zipping by. I was going to have the local trailer place install the brake controller. Thanks for any advice.
I wouldn't buy a weight distributing hitch or swap control for a pop-up. You should be fine with just the brake controller although, are you sure the pop-up even has brakes? The last 2 pop-ups I've had did not have brakes.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
honestly, i would look into something thats about 2000lbs empty, 2600 empty may be pushing it with your engine.

but, i dont think sway controll is needed, but it wouldnt be a bad thing to have
Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
honestly, i would look into something thats about 2000lbs empty, 2600 empty may be pushing it with your engine.

but, i dont think sway controll is needed, but it wouldnt be a bad thing to have
The pop-ups are low and don't wag like the travel trailers. As long as it's properly loaded, sway control isn't needed on a pop-up. Kinda like why you never see sway control on a landscape trailer, they're low and don't catch a lot of wind. You're right that it couldn't hurt, but I don't think they're be a lot of benefit to having it.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The pop-ups are low and don't wag like the travel trailers. As long as it's properly loaded, sway control isn't needed on a pop-up. Kinda like why you never see sway control on a landscape trailer, they're low and don't catch a lot of wind. You're right that it couldn't hurt, but I don't think they're be a lot of benefit to having it.

i agree, i have a pop up and have no problems. but it is only 1600 lbs dry haha. i only have 4 gerbals under the hood
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
szembek's Tacoma Gallery
It's a trailmanor popup, so it has hard sides and roof that 'pop' instead of tent like material. That's why it weighs more for those wondering. What exactly does the different colored fan clutch do to provide the extra 1500lbs in rated capacity? I really like this style camper. I guess I could camp close to home first to see how it works for me.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
szembek's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know what the different color on the fan clutch does to give an extra 1500lbs of capacity?

Amount of tongue weight listed in the manual also changes. My tacoma when new said it came with a towing package and had a hitch and trailer wiring factory installed. So what is different with these tacomas that have a different color on the fan clutch?

I also have a manual transmission, not sure if that's better or worse.