1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I need sway control or any other additions for a popup?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by szembek, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jul 25, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    szembek

szembek [OP] Member

Member:
    Looking at a popup that weighs 2600 empty. I have an 03 tacoma xtracab with the V6. According to the color on my fan clutch it's rated to tow 3500lbs. I'll need to get a trailer brake controller installed. Other than that is there anything I should plan on needing or possibly needing? I read about sway control hitches and weight dstributing hitches and stuff, but am unsure if that is necessary for a low profile unit like I'm looking at. I've towed 2500lbs with no issue in the past, but that was not on the highway with big rigs zipping by. I was going to have the local trailer place install the brake controller. Thanks for any advice.

2. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I wouldn't buy a weight distributing hitch or swap control for a pop-up. You should be fine with just the brake controller although, are you sure the pop-up even has brakes? The last 2 pop-ups I've had did not have brakes.

3. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    honestly, i would look into something thats about 2000lbs empty, 2600 empty may be pushing it with your engine.

but, i dont think sway controll is needed, but it wouldnt be a bad thing to have

4. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The pop-ups are low and don't wag like the travel trailers. As long as it's properly loaded, sway control isn't needed on a pop-up. Kinda like why you never see sway control on a landscape trailer, they're low and don't catch a lot of wind. You're right that it couldn't hurt, but I don't think they're be a lot of benefit to having it.

5. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

i agree, i have a pop up and have no problems. but it is only 1600 lbs dry haha. i only have 4 gerbals under the hood

6. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    szembek

szembek [OP] Member

Member:
    It's a trailmanor popup, so it has hard sides and roof that 'pop' instead of tent like material. That's why it weighs more for those wondering. What exactly does the different colored fan clutch do to provide the extra 1500lbs in rated capacity? I really like this style camper. I guess I could camp close to home first to see how it works for me.

7. Jul 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    szembek

szembek [OP] Member

Member:
    Anyone know what the different color on the fan clutch does to give an extra 1500lbs of capacity?

Amount of tongue weight listed in the manual also changes. My tacoma when new said it came with a towing package and had a hitch and trailer wiring factory installed. So what is different with these tacomas that have a different color on the fan clutch?

I also have a manual transmission, not sure if that's better or worse.

Products Discussed in

To Top