Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Trailer brake lights don't work but turn signals do.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
cmf21 is on a distinguished road
cmf21's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer brake lights don't work but turn signals do.

Borrowing a trailer again with a 7 way plug. Trailer has leds, no bulbs. I have a 4 way plug. In the past, I've been opening up the trailer plug and connecting a spare 4 way wire plug so i can hook it up to the plug on my truck.

Everything works like usual except the brake lights don't work. I can't figure out the problem. I've done this at least 20 times with the brake lights working.

I have the ground wire white/white connected, yellow wire for the left turn signal, green wire for the right turn signal, and the brown for the tail lights.

Brake lights don't work. What could the problem be?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf21 View Post
Borrowing a trailer again with a 7 way plug. Trailer has leds, no bulbs. I have a 4 way plug. In the past, I've been opening up the trailer plug and connecting a spare 4 way wire plug so i can hook it up to the plug on my truck.

Everything works like usual except the brake lights don't work. I can't figure out the problem. I've done this at least 20 times with the brake lights working.

I have the ground wire white/white connected, yellow wire for the left turn signal, green wire for the right turn signal, and the brown for the tail lights.

Brake lights don't work. What could the problem be?
Do you have a light converter installed?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how the Tacoma fuse box is configured for the tow package, but you may have a blown fuse on the truck. Since the trailer appears to be juice to the turn signals, and since its an LED setup, most likely it is an issue with the truck.

If you have a test light you can determine if the truck is the issue quickly. Hook up the ground on the test light and have someone hit the brakes in the truck, the yellow and green wires should have solid power to them when the brakes of the truck are on