Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Let's see those brake controllers!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Daniel
08TRDOFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Let's see those brake controllers!!!

Hey all,

I searched to see if there was a thread like this already, but didn't come up with anything. I am in the process of installing a Prodigy P3 in my truck. I can't decide on where to mount it. So, I thought I would let you guys help me decide. Let's see where you have mounted your brake controllers! Pictures would be appreciated!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
good idea, Im going to be installing an old drawtite one in my truck soon.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Interest as well. I mounted mine under the little pocket thing next to the ignition
Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is mounted in the pocket infront of the shifter. It was installed about 2 months after I got to Afghanistan, I didn't think I would like the location, but it seemed to work perfectly when I went on R&R. Didn't have to worry about knocking my knee on it, and it left the space under my ignition open for my 1911 to sit. Don't use that cubby hole for anything anyways so it works well.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same one.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
I have the same one.

Thanks MJonAgs32!!!! Did you use the supplied screws to mount it to the cubby, or did you use velcro or something less permanent? That is where I have been thinking I will probably mount it!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TRDOFFROAD View Post
Thanks MJonAgs32!!!! Did you use the supplied screws to mount it to the cubby, or did you use velcro or something less permanent? That is where I have been thinking I will probably mount it!
I used screws, but I just used my own since I got the unit used off of Craigslist.

When I don't tow, I take the controller out, and leave the wiring harness in the holding bracket. I use the same velcrow that you use to wrap your computer wires to hold the wiring harness in there.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
BillyBeamon is on a distinguished road
BillyBeamon's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the spot still have my leg room
Old 07-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
No picture but I stressed out for a week over where to mount it. I like to keep things looking as factory as possible inside. I ended up putting it directly under the steering column, beside the TPMS button. You don't even notice it's there, yet it is in a very handy spot to reach and adjust. Because I can't actually see it while driving I am not tempted to take my eyes off the road when adjusting. At first I thought it my be a problem hitting my knee on it when getting in/out of the truck but that has never happened (i'm 5'11") Now if someone would invent one that uses a steering wheel paddle or steering wheel controls, I'd be all over that!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
asphinctersayswhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBeamon View Post
the M/T don't have that convenient little cubby
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBeamon View Post
That is the same controller I picked up...I looked at that spot but wasn't sure I could figure out a way to get it level. Did you use the short screws that came with the controller?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
BillyBeamon is on a distinguished road
BillyBeamon's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy installed it i beleive what he did was offset the controller in the mount one peg higher than the other
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my Prodigy P2 install

Connect wires, truly Plug and play White wire is ground

All systems Go!!!

Tuck in the extra wire

Mount bracket. I still have the use of the coin tray

Mount unit. to bracket

I like the location, It is out of the way when I don't need it and it is easy to reach when I need to adjust it. You may think I would kick it all the time but that is not the case. I hit it with my foot very rarely.

THe watch dog watched everything I did and he had no complaints about the work done

That is my controller mount

Paul
Old 07-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #14
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
I put mine in the right side cubby in front of the ignition keyhole. I actually pulled the cubby out tho and put a bracket in it's place. I wanted to put both the brake controller and the satellite radio in there but there wasn't enough room. I like it there, I can see the screen thru the wheel spokes and it's up out of the way. As mentioned too, manual transmission trucks have the E-brake there.

Every other spot I thought either took up a useful storage spot or hung too low. I was concerned about banging my knees getting in and out, or not being able to change positions on a long drive without hitting it. I was also somewhat concerned with having a knee impact into the controller in a front end accident situation. In a lot of vehicles that panel below the steering wheel is padded and some even have an airbag there for knee protection.

I'll take a pic this weekend if I remember and have a chance. I want to detail the truck and get a picture of the leather seats/console/armrests for the Katzkins GB thread too.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Pics:

It's a Hayes G2, works real good. Sooo much better than the timer style I used to use.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #16

Well, I installed my brake controller after much debate on the location. I went the easiest route, I mounted mine down on the left side by the parking brake pedal. I am not a huge fan of drilling holes so I used some velcro my father in law brought home from his work to mount the controller. It is called "earthquake" or something like that...it is some good stuff (even tho it looks like it is peeling off the dash panel, I assure you it isn't). Now I can just unplug the controller and take it out of the truck when I am not using it.

Installed

Controller removed and the plug tucked behind the dash panel.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #17
asphinctersayswhat?

^ I just hope the velcro holds up and it doesn't fall (heat might weaken the adhesive)

If I didn't have a clutch, I woulda put it under the coin tray also
Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
^ I just hope the velcro holds up and it doesn't fall (heat might weaken the adhesive)

If I didn't have a clutch, I woulda put it under the coin tray also
It seems to do okay when the cab is at "operating temp" (not so bloody hot), I just threw it on for the pictures when the truck was hot inside. If the velcro doesn't work out I will just end up screwing it to the dash right there.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #19
Buroak is on a distinguished road
Name: Terry
Buroak's Tacoma Gallery
Kicking myself for missing this string. Like others, I debated the above spots, and then decided that I could level it (P3) easier in the straight compartment in front of the cup holders. Fine unless there are two cups there. It hangs from a plywood frame supported on both sides with ply. The plug and play reached with only a little play. Will send a picture if I can figure out how.