yumacpl's Tacoma Gallery
horse power boost

here is my question
I have a 07 Taco, TRD 4x4 auto trans
I just bought a 22 TT, weight dry 4090 lbs
what can I do to increase my HP with out going to a super charger
Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not really unless you get intake, exhaust, URD MAF, headers and exhaust all at once and even the end result of 20 or so horsepower isn't that much considering how much you spent.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Get a tundra or 4runner with a v-8. Without a supercharger Tacomas are kind of already as powerful as they are gonna get.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Ez2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud of

Navy: Aviation Structural Mechanic (Structures and Hydraulics) VFA-25
Ez2typethis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumacpl View Post
here is my question

Save money to get a supercharger... but even then, supercharging does not increase max towing capacity, just makes it easier to tow the max cap. So if your wet and ready to camp weight is over 6500 (if you have the towing package) i wouldnt advise towing it...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumacpl View Post
here is my question
Your Toco should pull that just fine. If you want more power get a bigger truck with a bigger engine. THere is no replacement for displacement....

Paul
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
You could turbo it

Intake, header, catback is about all you can do. If it wasn't a truck but rather say a car with good/great aftermarket support maybe you could do cams, higher compression pistons and some valve work. Maybe a stroker kit.

Intake a full exhaust won't do much though. It'll sound good but you really won't pick up much power. The engines in new vehicles are pretty optimized already, it's not like the old days where a stock V8 engine was really inefficient and you could about double the hp with some good aftermarket parts and improve fuel economy to boot.

The supercharger will be the best bet for bang for your buck if you keep the Taco. It'll just give more power for the hills though, it'll still be the same size and weight and have the same brakes and suspension though. You might be better off with a new truck if you need to tow a bigger load than the Taco can comfortably handle.

Haven't really looked into the other brands but the new Ford half-tons can pull up to 11,300lbs. That's huge to a Taco's 6500 lbs.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Save your money. Buy a WDH, a brake control, and mirrors. Your truck will tow it fine, just take it easy. Tow in "4", 60-65 mph @ about 9-10 mpg. That's about all you can do until you get a bigger truck.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
yumacpl is on a distinguished road
yumacpl's Tacoma Gallery
thanks all,, I do have a WDH , brake control, sway control ,
bought some mirror extenders here in town from a RV parts store, but they are terrible to much vibration, I would get sea sick driving with them.
I will be ordering the one's that are mentioned in the tread " towing bible"
they are sold thru Camping World, alot more money, but if they work it will be worth it

it also has been mentioned here about Oil, would you recommend going to Synthetic Oil,,what brand, we live in the desert south west (Yuma)
so heat is a big concern, I have about 60K on the engine
Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I think my mirrors are Cipa's. They have a dial to tighten. I'll be selling them soon if you're interested and can wait a week ($25 + shipping). I use Napa filters and Valvoline 5w-30 synthetic. I worked there many years ago, so I trust their products.