Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tongue Weight question

Old 08-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Tongue Weight question

I just posted this in the regular forum, and then realized the towing section migh be better, so here it is again:

If I remember correctly, my Tacoma with the tow package is rated at a max towing capacity of 6,500lbs with a max tongue weight of 650lbs.
Now the question is this: most trucks have two different tongue weight ratings: on weight bearing, one with weight distribution. I am assuming that the 650lbs is weight bearing, correct? But I can't find a number with weight distribution (should be significantly higher).
Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
http://mrtruck.net/wdh.htm

About the fifth paragraph down.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Thanks, but I am not sure how that article would give me the weight distributed tongue rating of our Tacomas. It refers me back to my owners manual, that's where I started.

I have that very same Equalizer hitch from your link, btw, the 600/6000 lbs version. Got it for $430 incl. shipping at RVW, that's $160 less than in your link:
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...0-00-0600.html
Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
With the Tacoma there is no seperate number. In order to reach the maximum tow rating you MUST use a weight distribution hitch. Personally I wouldn't do it any other way anyway. If you're pushing the 650# as it is and are looking to get more by adding a WD hitch then forget it with the Tacoma. You will over stress the truck and be very close to your payload rating. As it is 650# is 1/2 your payload rating anyway not including anything besides yourself that you may carry. My trailer has about a 500# tongue rating and I use a WD hitch. I don't think I would be personally comfortable with pushing the max.

Ps. All Toyota's require the use of a WD hitch including the newer Tundra's.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
j4x4, have you ever measured your REAL tongue weight?
It may be substantially higher. What the manufacturer specs is without any options, and does not include batteries and propane on the tongue, and nothing in the trailer. Everything forward of the axles will add to the tongue weight, everything behind will subtract.
Most trailes as towed will be in the 15% plus category. I think your trailer is north of 5,000lbs if I remember correctly?
BTW, my trailer measured at 3,600lbs on our last trip (axles only, excludes tongue), but I still think my tongue weight is close ...
I have the Equalizer 6,000 / 600 hitch.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
j4x4, I measured my tongue weight (bathroom scale & 2x4 method).
I am at >600lbs. The trailer rating is 440lbs tongue, 3,630lbs total.

And that's not 100% ready for camping, just as it sits in the driveway. I need to make sure to load stuff behind the axles.

Are you sure you are below 650lbs, considering the WDH weights probably 80lbs by itself. 15% tongue weight would be normal, and 15% of 5,000lbs is 750lbs. Do you load a lot of stuff in the rear of the trailer?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
j4x4, I measured my tongue weight (bathroom scale & 2x4 method).
I am at >600lbs. The trailer rating is 440lbs tongue, 3,630lbs total.

And that's not 100% ready for camping, just as it sits in the driveway. I need to make sure to load stuff behind the axles.

Are you sure you are below 650lbs, considering the WDH weights probably 80lbs by itself. 15% tongue weight would be normal, and 15% of 5,000lbs is 750lbs. Do you load a lot of stuff in the rear of the trailer?

Make sure you don't load your trailer "tail heavy". I forget the percentages, but the front should always be loaded heavier than the rear, or it will be unstable.
Keep an eye on your combined weight restriction. It's easy to overlook.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Make sure you don't load your trailer "tail heavy". I forget the percentages, but the front should always be loaded heavier than the rear, or it will be unstable.
Keep an eye on your combined weight restriction. It's easy to overlook.
True. The recommendation you are talking about is 10-15%, and I am at 15%. I am 1,660lbs below GCWR when loaded for camping with everybody and everything inside.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
j4x4, have you ever measured your REAL tongue weight?
It may be substantially higher. What the manufacturer specs is without any options, and does not include batteries and propane on the tongue, and nothing in the trailer. Everything forward of the axles will add to the tongue weight, everything behind will subtract.
Most trailes as towed will be in the 15% plus category. I think your trailer is north of 5,000lbs if I remember correctly?
BTW, my trailer measured at 3,600lbs on our last trip (axles only, excludes tongue), but I still think my tongue weight is close ...
I have the Equalizer 6,000 / 600 hitch.
Yes I've weighed it and obviously it varries from trip to trip. Never pushed over 550# though. I do purposely carry at least 1/2 tank of fresh water as my tank is at the rear of my trailer behind the axles. Been towing for 6 years with my setup with no issues but I'm very very particular about how much I load in the bed (if anything) since the payload capacity on the Tacoma is quickly eaten up by the tongue weight. I'm sure I'm closer to the 10% side of the 10%-15% recomendation but I've never had any handling problems and I'm just using a basic friction sway and 800# weight bars. Defintely would like a Tundra though especially after passing through New Mexico on my last trip with the 70mph speed limits. Didn't feel comfortable doing more than 60mph nor did I want to keep the RPM's up that high for the duration of the distance I needed to travel since it was already 100+ outside.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4x4ar3 View Post
Yes I've weighed it and obviously it varries from trip to trip. Never pushed over 550# though. I do purposely carry at least 1/2 tank of fresh water as my tank is at the rear of my trailer behind the axles. Been towing for 6 years with my setup with no issues but I'm very very particular about how much I load in the bed (if anything) since the payload capacity on the Tacoma is quickly eaten up by the tongue weight. I'm sure I'm closer to the 10% side of the 10%-15% recomendation but I've never had any handling problems and I'm just using a basic friction sway and 800# weight bars. Defintely would like a Tundra though especially after passing through New Mexico on my last trip with the 70mph speed limits. Didn't feel comfortable doing more than 60mph nor did I want to keep the RPM's up that high for the duration of the distance I needed to travel since it was already 100+ outside.
Yeah, I hear you. The Tundra only gives you about 200# extra in payload, not much. Towing a TT with a Tacoma requires careful planning, much more than most think.They hear 5,000#: no problem! It may not be so, especially if the tongue is in the 15% range.
I have two 6V batteries on the tongue, each 63#.
I think the GVWR is the most limiting factor, but not only with the Tacoma. Even most F150's have only 200-300# more payload, unless you get the heavy duty payload package which raises it to over 2,000#.
I like your water idea. For me, the fresh water tank sits forward of the axles, but I always tow empty. The black water tank sits behind. Maybe I make it a requirement that everybody takes a dump before pulling out of the driveway from now on.
Do you own one of those tongue weight scales?