Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Can a Tacoma tow a 28' travel trailer comfortably

Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #22
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Tow small 18 footer to the hunt camp and up to GA. TIME YOU LOAD FOOD, WATER AND OTHER THINGS for the time there 3k to 3 1/2k Thats all I want to pull. Don't get to high on the 6k lb. tow package from what I've seen its, Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #23
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibby84 View Post
I have firestone air bags on the truck and use a weight distribution hitch with a friction sway control and the truck pulls fine. One trip I had the fresh water tank filled and it did slow me down but that was through hilly and winding roads. Regular trips with a two full propane tanks half a bed full of firewood and a 120quart cooler full of beer and ice plus all the other camping goodies in the camper and it tows nicely. I have to utilize the powerband of the engine depending on the grade of the road but I haven't been on a hill yet where I couldn't match a gear and rpm to pull the hill. A stock truck would even pull better than mine since I run 265/75r16 and loose some pull out power to spin the taller rubber. 25ft with the proper hitch at a little over 4000 dry weight seems to present no issues for me and stops even in emergency conditions with the trailers electric brakes.
Ouch. I hope you never have to deal with a lawyer or insurance who claims gross negligence on your part for being significantly overloaded. It does happen ....
Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #24
standonit is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Greg
standonit's Tacoma Gallery
Dont skimp on the weight distro hitch and a good brake controller. Have the tranny refilled by Toyota, brake checks. If you keep the trailer weight to around 5k you should be fine. I pull a Shadow Cruiser 26 footer with no problems at all. Remember to not run it in O/D. Fuel consumption will be 10-12 MPG on the flat stuff, around 8-9 MPG towing in the hills (My experience in the Allgenys Mtns Pa). I have a few thousand miles under my belt with this setup towing through places like NYC, DC, Baltimore, Boston, White Mtns NH and northern Maine and Canada. It works very well for me. Any questions drop me a line.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Can a Tacoma tow a 28' travel trailer comfortably-100_0301.jpg   Can a Tacoma tow a 28' travel trailer comfortably-100_0304.jpg   Can a Tacoma tow a 28' travel trailer comfortably-100_0555.jpg  
Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #25
joelong0004 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Flight Medic
Name: Joe
joelong0004's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 26' J-Flight at 4500 lbs dry weight up narrow two lane roads to Yosemite. The only challenge I have is 180 miles per tank of gas. The truck works a bit uphill. I have to floor it at times, but it works.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #26
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by standonit View Post
Dont skimp on the weight distro hitch and a good brake controller. Have the tranny refilled by Toyota, brake checks. If you keep the trailer weight to around 5k you should be fine. I pull a Shadow Cruiser 26 footer with no problems at all. Remember to not run it in O/D. Fuel consumption will be 10-12 MPG on the flat stuff, around 8-9 MPG towing in the hills (My experience in the Allgenys Mtns Pa). I have a few thousand miles under my belt with this setup towing through places like NYC, DC, Baltimore, Boston, White Mtns NH and northern Maine and Canada. It works very well for me. Any questions drop me a line.

Greg
Man you took that up in the White Mtns? Like 302, rt 3 or rt 2?
Crawford/Franconia Notch, Twinbrooks, Kannamagus?
If so, I would need er a change of pants
Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #27
Harley1969 is on a distinguished road
Harley1969's Tacoma Gallery
We have a Sunset Trail ST31KS (5900 Dry)and absolutely love it. My TV is a 2008 tacoma and I have no issues pulling it. That being said, I don't do to much more than 500 miles a year, biggest trip would be a 200 mile run. So I just take my time and slow down to 50mph. Our trailer is parked 80% of the time at our local RV park for our weekend getaway with our two young kids. If/When we are ready to tow it for longer trip I'll either buy a new TV or prob better solution would be to rent a bigger truck. But I have to say that my Tacoma has no issues pulling this trailer, and yes I am over the limit. BTW, my truck is set up with a 4.0L with a dual-cam distribution weight with the sway bar controller. I do have a P3 controller and also installed firestone air bags set at 45psi. Tires on the truck are 10 ply so no issues there. Guys, stop babying your work horse(trucks)
Old 09-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1969 View Post
We have a Sunset Trail ST31KS (5900 Dry)and absolutely love it. My TV is a 2008 tacoma and I have no issues pulling it. That being said, I don't do to much more than 500 miles a year, biggest trip would be a 200 mile run. So I just take my time and slow down to 50mph. Our trailer is parked 80% of the time at our local RV park for our weekend getaway with our two young kids. If/When we are ready to tow it for longer trip I'll either buy a new TV or prob better solution would be to rent a bigger truck. But I have to say that my Tacoma has no issues pulling this trailer, and yes I am over the limit. BTW, my truck is set up with a 4.0L with a dual-cam distribution weight with the sway bar controller. I do have a P3 controller and also installed firestone air bags set at 45psi. Tires on the truck are 10 ply so no issues there. Guys, stop babying your work horse(trucks)
Wow. I hope nothing bad happens, for your safety and that of those around you on the road.
At least you are not within your 200/500 mile radius to where I live and drive, LOL.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #29
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Sechsgang, show us what you tow.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #30
Goober, a 20ft TT, < 4,500 lbs (see pic). And I am over the limit. The payload is the limiting factor, for most of us. I just got that trailer, towed it on three trips and finally went to the scales with it.
I plan on upgrading to a half ton for the next season.
Realistically, a 28+ ft travel trailer pushes the limits of most half ton truck if you want to be safe. I am sure Harley knows he is way over, because he says he won't tow over 200 miles and over 50 mph.

Goober, how about you? What's behind your Tacoma?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #31
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Get the 3/4 ton, my experience a 1/2 ton is just too limited.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
If you want to go 28ft trailer or more, you are probably right. But we won't, not for the next 6-8 years at least. I think a half ton will be fine.
What's your take, assuming our current trailer is what's towed?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #33
BTW, goober, I towed a (very big) popup camper before the TT for 6 years. I was pretty much at the GVWR and rear axle rating with that thing. But it was a much better match.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #34
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
3/4 ton is overkill for the TT Sechsgang has. It's not huge by any means, a 1/2 ton will handle that just fine. I'd only get the 3/4 ton if you want it to tow like it's not even there.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
3/4 ton is overkill for the TT Sechsgang has. It's not huge by any means, a 1/2 ton will handle that just fine. I'd only get the 3/4 ton if you want it to tow like it's not even there.
You know what's funny? There is a sticker on my trailers tongue that says never to tow it with a truck rated over one ton. Not that I'd get a one ton truck for it, LOL, but anyway, interesting, isn't it? I guess there can be such a thing as "too much truck", LOL.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #36
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
You know what's funny? There is a sticker on my trailers tongue that says never to tow it with a truck rated over one ton. Not that I'd get a one ton truck for it, LOL, but anyway, interesting, isn't it? I guess there can be such a thing as "too much truck", LOL.
Interesting... I wonder what the reasoning is for that? I can't think of a good reason having an oversized tow rig would be a bad thing (as far as towing is concerned, I wouldn't want to buy a huge rig for a small trailer).
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Interesting... I wonder what the reasoning is for that? I can't think of a good reason having an oversized tow rig would be a bad thing (as far as towing is concerned, I wouldn't want to buy a huge rig for a small trailer).
Don't know for sure, but I believe it is the overly stiff suspension of those trucks with a light weight trailer. Basically, the concern is that you are shaking everything up, including the trailer frame & construction.
I have read a few reports where people went to 1 ton duallies, arrived at the campground on their first trip and everything inside the TT was all over the place - basically stuff came out of the cupboards and so on.
Maybe they fear frame damage?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #38

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I wasn't saying get a 3/4 just to tow your 20ft trailer, I've just found full size 1/2 tons are too limited for other uses. They tend to overload very quickly when hauling pavers, load of gravel etc. At least get the HD model of whatever you choose.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #39

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Goober, a 20ft TT, < 4,500 lbs (see pic). And I am over the limit. The payload is the limiting factor, for most of us. I just got that trailer, towed it on three trips and finally went to the scales with it.
I plan on upgrading to a half ton for the next season.
Realistically, a 28+ ft travel trailer pushes the limits of most half ton truck if you want to be safe. I am sure Harley knows he is way over, because he says he won't tow over 200 miles and over 50 mph.

Goober, how about you? What's behind your Tacoma?
I Don't see your pic?

I just traded up and won't be towing a tt behind the Tacoma any more.
What I was towing...10mpg

What I'm towing now. 12mpg.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #40
Quote:
I Don't see your pic?

I just traded up and won't be towing a tt behind the Tacoma any more.
What I was towing...10mpg

What I'm towing now. 12mpg.
Holy smokes! Very nice!
I am assuming that's a Diesel, going by those mpg numbers?
I have never towed a fifth wheel. How different is it? I'd like to hear your opinion. It's supposed to feel very stable, right?
Nice rig!
Oh, and here is the picture: