Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Can a Tacoma tow a 28' travel trailer comfortably

Old 09-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #41
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Well, one is like this...

And the other is like this...

The 5th wheel is very stable, but so is the Tacoma the way I have it set up. Just came back from a 800 mile trip to the Tetons. On the highway I went through a construction area that had a couple bad bumps over bridges a the weight of the trailer kind of kicks you as it comes out of dips and the ride on old concrete highway is kind of rough. I'm considering air bags. I get about 4" drop from hitch weight (dry hitch weight is 1290lbs.)

The difference between the two; The Tacoma could use more power to pull that 19' trailer but weight wise for handlling it's very good. If I continued towing with the Tacoma I would get the Supercharger. The Chevy has loads of power, yes it's a diesel. I had no trouble maintaining speed limit on mountain passes. If I replace this truck I would get a 1 ton dually though but for vacation use it does the job just fine. In '96 I pulled a 22' tt with a 1 ton (non dually) on a 3200 mile trip. That truck had a de-tuned 350 (courtesy the EPA regs at the time) which didn't have any more power than the Tacoma and it was about the same feel as the Tacoma pulling the 19' power wise. But I didn't have a WD hitch. Drove that rig on a really nasty highway in Illinois which just bounced the crap out us. Saw a motor home towing a small car that had broken the hitch off the RV on that road.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #42
bdemick is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: DC2
bdemick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab, short bed, 4x4 TRD with tow package. I tow a 2012 Keystone Passport 2650BH, empty weight 4960 lbs, tow weight about 5700 lbs and it tows it nicely and at no time does it feel unsafe. The Passport has a spread axel design where the front axel is 10" further forward then most other trailers to better distribute weight and control sway. I use a 4 point Equal-i-zer brand sway control hitch and a Prodigy P2 brake controler. The Tacoma works moderatly hard towing this much, I cruise in 4th gear turning 2500 rpm @ 60 mph. I just towed up 4000 + ft Stevens Pass and it did just fine. At one point the pass gets quite steep and I slowed to 45 mph, but I didn't want to push it. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size & weight, but it does ok. Don't push it and take your time. By the way mileage will take a hit. Been averageing 10.5 to 11.75 mpg climbing moderate grades with winding, twisting roads. Straight freeway should be somewhat better.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #43
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemick View Post
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab, short bed, 4x4 TRD with tow package. I tow a 2012 Keystone Passport 2650BH, empty weight 4960 lbs, tow weight about 5700 lbs and it tows it nicely and at no time does it feel unsafe. The Passport has a spread axel design where the front axel is 10" further forward then most other trailers to better distribute weight and control sway. I use a 4 point Equal-i-zer brand sway control hitch and a Prodigy P2 brake controler. The Tacoma works moderatly hard towing this much, I cruise in 4th gear turning 2500 rpm @ 60 mph. I just towed up 4000 + ft Stevens Pass and it did just fine. At one point the pass gets quite steep and I slowed to 45 mph, but I didn't want to push it. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size & weight, but it does ok. Don't push it and take your time. By the way mileage will take a hit. Been averageing 10.5 to 11.75 mpg climbing moderate grades with winding, twisting roads. Straight freeway should be somewhat better.
For the steepest part of the hill, did you ever use 3rd gear? If so how long (time wise)?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #44

bdemick's Tacoma Gallery
Even on moderate grades I go into 3rd gear and usually hold between 55 & 60 mph, turning 3200 to 3500 rpm. On the steepest grade that I climbed (and I can't imagine a steeper one on a major highway) I went into 2nd gear and held 45mph, turning about 4200 - 4300 rpm, still way below the 5500 rpm redline for this engine. This was only for a short while, spending most of the time in 3rd. As you can imagine, that trip was where I got my worst gas mileage of 10.5 mpg. I still had plenty of throttle left, but I didn't want to push too hard. I love the Tacoma for everyday work & travel and would hate to move up to a full size pickup just to tow the trailer 6 or 7 times a year. I would not sacrifice safety, but so far I'm pleased the way the Tacoma hauls this trailer. It's a beast!! Great truck!!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #45
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
bdemick, have you taken your rig to the scales, ready for camping? I think you'd be surprised.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #46

bdemick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equal-I-zer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3000 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 11.75 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!
Attached Thumbnails

Surprised how? More weight? Less weight? The empty trailer weight should be close to accurate because there are no options to add to this trailer. Everythings standard and, while not completely accurate, I do keep a close eye on what we put into it for camping. I only tow it with about 15 gallons of water in it and fill up when I arrive or hookup to water. Going to a scale might be a good idea, but I know the Tacoma, with two adults & one large cat, hauls this much load without too much stress. Accelerates nicely and brakes with ease. No sway or bounce. Again, not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size & weight, but it really does tow it ok.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #47
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, you are probably okay with two adults.
What I mean with surprise is the payload, mainly. Sticker said 1,200 lbs for my Taco, but I had under 1,100 lbs really available (after add-on's I did, and "stuff")
The Tacoma (and most half tons) are payload limited, most of the time. With two people, it would depend on what else you put in the bed, but you are probably fine.

With my Tacoma, and under 1,100 lbs of payload I was pretty much at / over the limit once I hooked up the trailer (600 lbs tongue weight) and got the 4 of us in the truck with no cargo, bikes, gear, firewood, etc. It was no fun, and I could feel that I was over.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #48
CAMPAIGN4LIBERTY is on a distinguished road
Name: CAMPAIGN FOR LIBERTY
CAMPAIGN4LIBERTY's Tacoma Gallery
Ya'll are the most whimpy minded people. I have pulled 11,000# net until the frame broke on an 85' diesel. Now have a 2012 DC 4x4 LB V6 and pulling a 33' 3 axel Holiday
Rambler with a weight distr hitch and two trailer sway controls. If you can not drive please do not attempt this.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPAIGN4LIBERTY View Post
Ya'll are the most whimpy minded people. I have pulled 11,000# net until the frame broke on an 85' diesel. Now have a 2012 DC 4x4 LB V6 and pulling a 33' 3 axel Holiday
Rambler with a weight distr hitch and two trailer sway controls. If you can not drive please do not attempt this.
Good post on a year old thread
Old 05-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #50
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When you hit and kill someone, you will be living in a cardboard box when their families lawyers get done with you.. Your the reason auto ins. Rates are the way they are. GTFO.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #51
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like the fucktards have been out full force all weekend...
Old 05-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #52
Mike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud of

Mike330R's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pure genius!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #53
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutheastTaco View Post
When you hit and kill someone, you will be living in a cardboard box when their families lawyers get done with you.. Your the reason auto ins. Rates are the way they are. GTFO.

Rate suckers from Progressive. Use the snapshot. This was a dumb ass thread to post something else stupid in.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #54

bdemick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equal-I-zer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3000 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 11.75 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #55
PPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of light

Firefighter: IAFF 1664
Name: Perry
PPower05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reastiebeagle View Post
It's not the length you should be concerned about but the fully loaded weight of the trailer. I'm towing a 26' trailer right now with a Chevy 3500 and have issues: overheating pulling grades in the heat, serious brake fade with long downgrades if I have to use the truck brakes as well as a small drop in the rear suspension. These issues arrise not because of the length but because of the fully loaded weight of the trailer; usually around 10,000 pounds give or take.

My biggest concern would be the braking system of the tow vehicle; do you think the Tacoma could stop a 5000+ lb trailer on a downgrade if the trailer brakes went out?

Just my .01 cent...

Disagree, it is the length you should be worried about..... Tacomas have, by their design, very short wheel bases.... Something that huge will lead to trailer sway, instablity, etc.... Weight is important too, but very few people who are new to RV's look at length factors.... In short, probably too much trailer. Next thing to look at is the all important weight factor.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #56
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't even attempt towing something like that with a Tacoma, if you are set on that trailer maybe hunt for an old suburban as a tow vehicle.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #57
03stepsidetaco is on a distinguished road
Name: David
03stepsidetaco's Tacoma Gallery
For my 03 4X4 excab V-6 my 19.5 wildwood is plenty. maybe I should have gone with a 20' dubble axle? wights not bad at all but sway from wind,passing big rigs, it does push a bit. better with air bags but I'll not be going over 21' MAX with a toy no matter what. I had and towed with an 83 chev one ton crewcab dully. so I know what it's like to use both kinds of vehs. I'd draw the line at 21' with a toy. thats for me not mean to be seen as telling anyone anything more than what I'd do for me.

Products Discussed in this Thread