Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tires

Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
flyguy51 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
flyguy51's Tacoma Gallery
Tires

I've got a question about tire pressure. I will be towing my boat from Arizona to BC in September. The boat trailer has new tires on it and the recommended cold PSI is 65. The spare that I have has a 50 PSI cold rating. If for some reason I do need to use the spare will it cause problems having tires with different pressures? It might be possible that I'd need to tow for a fairly long way until I could get a repair. Thanks for all your help.

Flyguy
Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
What are the weight ratings on the two different tires? What does the loaded trailer weigh? The ones with the higher weight rating than your spare likely have a different construction with more plies or something. I wouldn't exceed the max pressure on the spare but then I wouldn't want to run the regular tires too low and risk overheating them.
Personally, I carry a tire plug kit and an air compressor and have had great luck with my tire plugs lasting for many thousands of miles or at least until the tire is worn out. I would probably put the spare on at 50 psi. Just make sure that the tire has enough weight rating for the trailer.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
2011toy is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
2011toy's Tacoma Gallery
Air the tires to their repective max rating and you should be OK even if one is 65 psi and the other is 50 psi. As posted above be sure not to exceed the tires max load capacity.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Tires

I just want to say thanks to both people who responded. I want you to know that I've never been led astray with the suggestions from the members on this site. The folks at Discount Tires couldn't really give me a straight answer about this and they were the ones who sold me the tires. Thanks again.

Flyguy
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
going fishing

OZ-T you hit it on the head, I'm getting ready for a fishing trip to BC just after labor day. Never towed my boat this far so I want to make sure that I've got my ducks in order. I'm sure that there won't be any problems but you know how it is when you are doing something for the first time.

Flyguy
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy51 View Post
OZ-T you hit it on the head, I'm getting ready for a fishing trip to BC just after labor day. Never towed my boat this far so I want to make sure that I've got my ducks in order. I'm sure that there won't be any problems but you know how it is when you are doing something for the first time.

Flyguy
Where you headed in BC ?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
my contribution - flyguy you'll be fine, sounds like you have it all together.

my derailing - flyguy, your profile says your truck is a 6.0ltr?!!!

also to oz and OP, whats the best kind of fishing to do up there?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
my contribution - flyguy you'll be fine, sounds like you have it all together.

my derailing - flyguy, your profile says your truck is a 6.0ltr?!!!

also to oz and OP, whats the best kind of fishing to do up there?
Salmon