Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing gone wrong

Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #43
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a big load. Sounds like a job for a Tundra or another 1/2 ton. Most 2nd gen owners think this truck is invincible just because it can move their trailer 10 feet. Not the attitude you should have. It's not made for heavy hauling or cross country trailering. Theres a reason the Tundra is made, and alot of 2nd gen Taco owners should have considered buying those instead.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #44
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
THAT is intriguing....

Has anyone actually put one on and can give a review?

How much does one cost? Where to get?
I bought mine through Summit Racing, $350
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...uspension.html
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #45
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
If you are going to commit to using the tacoma:
Weight distribution hitch.
Brake controller.
Aux trans cooler and towing clutch fan.
Sway controlller.
LT rated tires.
Timbrens, air bags or OME springs(heavy)

I have towed to the max with the timbrens, LT tires, u-haul(with surge brakes). I couldn't go over 55 without some nasty sway. I would recommend new springs and the other gear I listed. The timbrens make for a rougher ride.
ding ding ding.

we have a winner!

That trailer better have brakes!!!

Better yet, get a Tundra or a Sequoia with the I-Force. You won't even notice it back there.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #46
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
THAT is intriguing....

Has anyone actually put one on and can give a review?

How much does one cost? Where to get?
I have the Roadmaster on my truck. I've had it for a few years now. Can't remember how much I paid to have it installed and stuff though. Wasn't very expensive in my opinion. Definitely felt a difference on the ride the moment I pulled it out of the shop. I have an early model 05 that does NOT have the TSB or the newer 3 leaf pack installed. It works as advertised and definitely helps or eliminates axle wrap entirely. As for towing I have to say that I'm very happy with the ride and the fact that I don't have to drop as many links on my WD hitch to prevent sag. I've also carried a pretty heavy load in the bed when not towing and the ride is definitely smoother and I don't "lean" on the curves as much. I would have to say that for me it was a worthwhile investment especially since I think air bags on a truck this size is overkill and not needed. That all said though the only negative I have to say is that when you have them installed make sure they put a generous amount of water proof greese on the curved part that hooks over the rear leaf bracket. My truck squeeks like a mother F!! and it drives me nuts. I've already done the leaf spring TSB myself and replaced the squeek pads with no luck. I just need to find the time to life up the truck and get some greese in there. Took about a year before the squeeking started though.

Check http://www.activesuspension.com/ for more information and dealers that might be in your area to install it.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #47
F-125Racer is on a distinguished road

F-125Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke83 View Post
Ok guys. This is my problem. I just purchased a enclosed trailer. It's 6 by 12. It weighs 3100 lbs, when loaded about 4400lbs. Now everyone tells me that my truck can pull it with no problems. I made sure that 60% of weight is in front of the trailers axle. 07 trd quad cab. Sure it's got plenty of power to pull this thing. But when I drive it, the rear spring bottom out at every little bump on the road. It throws my truck around and I feel unsafe driving over 65mph. Considering I'm gonna drive around with this thing behind me 1200 miles a month I have concerns. Would bulkier rear springs help? Does the trd off road package come with a tranny cooler? And if I got less than 500lbs on my hitch why does my truck act that way? Give me some input guys before this taco is wrecked.
I have to disagree with some of the posts here, sure a bigger truck would make towing this rig easier, but the Taco will handle it just fine. You MUST get either the TSB done, or some kind of heavier springs first.
I tow virtually the same trailer (but a bit heavier sometimes) no problem. Yes, the trailer does have brakes. Check it out under the thread "6 cylinder towing review" here on the towing forum. I don't know how to post a link, but I'll bump it.