Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing gone wrong

Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
luke83 is on a distinguished road
luke83's Tacoma Gallery
Towing gone wrong

Ok guys. This is my problem. I just purchased a enclosed trailer. It's 6 by 12. It weighs 3100 lbs, when loaded about 4400lbs. Now everyone tells me that my truck can pull it with no problems. I made sure that 60% of weight is in front of the trailers axle. 07 trd quad cab. Sure it's got plenty of power to pull this thing. But when I drive it, the rear spring bottom out at every little bump on the road. It throws my truck around and I feel unsafe driving over 65mph. Considering I'm gonna drive around with this thing behind me 1200 miles a month I have concerns. Would bulkier rear springs help? Does the trd off road package come with a tranny cooler? And if I got less than 500lbs on my hitch why does my truck act that way? Give me some input guys before this taco is wrecked.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
As said I would look into the spring tsb. A trailer stabalizing bar would help some too. Also you shouldn't be going over 65 with a trailer 1200 miles or not. At those speeds a decent sized trailer like yours will throw your truck around.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
What is the tongue weight?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
luke83 is on a distinguished road
luke83's Tacoma Gallery
So what does tab stand for?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke83 View Post
So what does tab stand for?
Technical Service Bulletin. You have a 2007 so you most likely won't be covered. A lot of us were having problems with the truck bottoming out under a load so there's a service bulletin out that diagnoses the problem and the fix is a replacement leaf pack with an extra leaf in it. It's covered under your 3 yr 36k mile warranty. I think you're SOL for that but you could look into air bags, an add-a-leaf or a replacement leaf pack.

If it still acts up, you might want to consider sway control. If I were towing that heavy that frequently, you should have at least gotten the tow package and probably a full sized truck. The tow package for the Tacoma is an option and does not just come on the TRD Off Road. It includes a class 4 receiver, tranny cooler, wiring for the trailer and a heavier alternator (might have a supplimental engine cooler also, I don't remember, Toyota.com would tell you).
Old 08-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
Phones Ringin Dude
SplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to behold

Name: Haywood Jablowme
SplitDecision's Tacoma Gallery
My trailer weighs 2710 and SP4012 stump grinder weighs 1550 so weight is similar as well as the problem. Firestone ride rite airbags solved the problem for me and I highly recommend them. I'm sorry, but the TSB for the spring pack is pretty much worthless. All that allowed me to do was haul 4 people in the truck and not hit the bump stops . For doing any real towing or hauling a complete aftermarket spring pack like the Dakar or airbags is the only way to go. I went with the bags so I don't have a rough ride when I'm not towing or hauling.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #8
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
As much as I love Toyota Trucks, if I was towing 4500 lbs often, I would not use a Tacoma as a tow vehicle. I know its rated for 6500 lbs, The TSB may have helped, as well as other things you could add but its not my first choice for a tow vehicle unless its a lighter load. I was with a buddy who had the same truck and trailer, and with a couple of bikes and gear the gas mileage sucked, about 10-11 mpg. on a flat road trip.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
SoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really nice

Air Force: Tactical Aircraft Maintainer
Name: Justin
SoftShellTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My two cents, I say you should look into a sway bar set up and an aftermarket replacement leaf pack with higher spring rate. The sway bar would be your first upgrade that should keep your trailer more stable making your truck more stable. If it is still an issue I say go with the after market leaf pack. I also might would run a helper for your factory leaf maybe an AAL or an active suspesion setup.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
As much as I love Toyota Trucks, if I was towing 4500 lbs often, I would not use a Tacoma as a tow vehicle. I know its rated for 6500 lbs, The TSB may have helped, as well as other things you could add but its not my first choice for a tow vehicle unless its a lighter load. I was with a buddy who had the same truck and trailer, and with a couple of bikes and gear the gas mileage sucked, about 10-11 mpg. on a flat road trip.
Sounds like the OP doesn't have a tow package equipped Tacoma so it's not even rated that high...
Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
You want around 10% of trailer weight on tongue. Add Timbrens to rear. Maybe a cheap swaybar and you'll be fine.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As much as I love Toyota Trucks, if I was towing 4500 lbs often, I would not use a Tacoma as a tow vehicle
+1

Unfortunately, I would be looking for a new tow vehicle. If not then get some airbags.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
+1

Unfortunately, I would be looking for a new tow vehicle. If not then get some airbags.

Agreed... Love Tacoma's, but I dont tow that often. If I were towing 1200 miles a month, it would be in a Tundra or a Silverado.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
I've had Toyotas for over a decade and have 2 now. Last summer I towed a m/c trailer with 2 harleys on it, from WA to CO, with the FJCruiser. Just over 2,000 lbs total. Basically the same V6 engine as the Tacoma.

I would never do it again unless I had to. Simply not enough towing power to make it enjoyable. Given a choice I would always pull with a V8. Mileage won't be much different either. With the FJ, I was getting around 10-12 when pulling at freeway speeds.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
As said I would look into the spring tsb. A trailer stabalizing bar would help some too. Also you shouldn't be going over 65 with a trailer 1200 miles or not. At those speeds a decent sized trailer like yours will throw your truck around.

why shouldnt you go over 65???

i dont see a reason why you cant go over 65, i pull a trailer at least twice a month and i go about 75. my step dad pulls a 42foot toy hauler with a 12foot flat bed behind that. with rhinos quads and what not going over 65.

and i think your fine with your tacoma pulling 4500lbs.. but if you had something bigger it would be easier and you would get better mpg probably.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShellTaco View Post
My two cents..... I also might would run a helper for your factory leaf maybe an AAL or an active suspesion setup.

THAT is intriguing....

Has anyone actually put one on and can give a review?

How much does one cost? Where to get?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
SoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really nice

Air Force: Tactical Aircraft Maintainer
Name: Justin
SoftShellTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has both items I posted on his 2010 Silverado and he said he can't even tell he is towing our 24' camper with pop outs. He even put on a brake commander and the camper does some of the braking for him. We have gotten up to 70+mph with the camper and I have never felt uncomfortable.

OP if your trailer has brakes I would suggest a brake commander that will save your trucks brakes and depending on how good they are might even help stop the truck better than without the trailer.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #18
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
why shouldnt you go over 65???

i dont see a reason why you cant go over 65, i pull a trailer at least twice a month and i go about 75. my step dad pulls a 42foot toy hauler with a 12foot flat bed behind that. with rhinos quads and what not going over 65.

and i think your fine with your tacoma pulling 4500lbs.. but if you had something bigger it would be easier and you would get better mpg probably.

idk in other states, but 55 mph is the max in CA when towing. Not to mention trailer tires not recommended to go over 65. Also, there is a HUGE gas mileage difference in driving 55 vs 65+
Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShellTaco View Post
My dad has both items I posted on his 2010 Silverado and he said he can't even tell he is towing our 24' camper with pop outs. He even put on a brake commander and the camper does some of the braking for him. We have gotten up to 70+mph with the camper and I have never felt uncomfortable.

OP if your trailer has brakes I would suggest a brake commander that will save your trucks brakes and depending on how good they are might even help stop the truck better than without the trailer.
4,500 lbs behind a Tacoma, that trailer had better have brakes! If not, I pitty the person who needs to stop short in front of you!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going to commit to using the tacoma:
Weight distribution hitch.
Brake controller.
Aux trans cooler and towing clutch fan.
Sway controlller.
LT rated tires.
Timbrens, air bags or OME springs(heavy)

I have towed to the max with the timbrens, LT tires, u-haul(with surge brakes). I couldn't go over 55 without some nasty sway. I would recommend new springs and the other gear I listed. The timbrens make for a rougher ride.