Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing 3500 lb Car w/ 1500 lb Trailex - Bad Idea?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Beanster is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Beanster's Tacoma Gallery
Towing 3500 lb Car w/ 1500 lb Trailex - Bad Idea?

I've read Maverick's Tacoma Towing Bible multiple times and it gave me some confidence that I could tow my car to weekend track events but then I read some other threads on the forum and I'm starting to wonder if a Tundra is a better option.

I currently have an '06 V6 Access Cab with the TRD and towing package options. I started doing track events this year with my car and got bit by that bug. Now, it seems like I have a track event at least twice per month. Some are only 2 hours away (New Jersey Motorsports Park) and others are 6+ hours away (VIR, Watkins Glen).

I'm thinking it would be great to tow my car to these events instead of putting so many highway miles on it by driving it to the events. It appears that a decent Trailex trailer will weigh 1500 lbs with options. With the car, that is 5,000 lbs total plus luggage, tools, food, people, etc.

Based on what I have read here, I'll likely need airbags and a dual cam sway control as well as addon mirrors and a brake controller. But with all of this, do you think the Tacoma will still be suitable for those long hauls?

My Tacoma (bought new) only has 30k miles on it so its still running and looking like new. I'd hate to replace it with a used Tundra (2008+) which is way too big for me to enjoy driving. But if that is the only safe and comfortable option, I'd do it. I dont have the option to keep the Tacoma if I get a Tundra.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome I noticed this was your 1st post!!! You will never find a tighter truck community than tw!

My experience with tundras
1 gen tundras suck ass with a trailer behind them.
2nd gens (5.7) are nice but in my opinion not as fun to drive as a tacoma

You will be towing near 6500lbs realistically and that could be pushin it with your truck even with the added towing accessories.

Get an older diesel if u r gettin imto racin and keep your low mileage tacoma in the garage. plus with a diesel you will get twice the mpg's than a gas engine will give you. 7k behind a diesel is nothing
Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
SUITABLE, MAYBE...SAFE????

Will you wear the Tacoma out quickly, dam straight....you will always be at max load everytime you move the car..parts now wear out and ca$h flow goes into truck,car and trailer....

Not to sell the Tundras short...BUT why not price NEW in ALL of the makes and find what fits you for the long run....used is nice for a budget until you factor in replacement co$t....

All of these questions come down to how you perceive your "Racing" program growing....TW can give you answers BUT your ideas make the FINAL decisions...

Back Quiet

p.s. be wary of diesels if looking new...My '12 Mack gets better MPG's BUT I now have to purchase DEF which offsets every thing I gained back $$ wise...
Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
get an older dodge cummins, reliable and mine tows my taco on a 2000lb trailer!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
guy i know trailers his F-Body to the track everytime and he's got a 2007 tacoma and says he dont have an issue. says it does ok and i asked him bout would he trailer a long distance and he said he would. he trailers it for an hour one way when he does take it to the track
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Make that car into a true track day car, shave down the weight on the car and keep the Tacoma
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanster View Post
I've read Maverick's Tacoma Towing Bible multiple times and it gave me some confidence that I could tow my car to weekend track events but then I read some other threads on the forum and I'm starting to wonder if a Tundra is a better option.

I currently have an '06 V6 Access Cab with the TRD and towing package options. I started doing track events this year with my car and got bit by that bug. Now, it seems like I have a track event at least twice per month. Some are only 2 hours away (New Jersey Motorsports Park) and others are 6+ hours away (VIR, Watkins Glen).

I'm thinking it would be great to tow my car to these events instead of putting so many highway miles on it by driving it to the events. It appears that a decent Trailex trailer will weigh 1500 lbs with options. With the car, that is 5,000 lbs total plus luggage, tools, food, people, etc.

Based on what I have read here, I'll likely need airbags and a dual cam sway control as well as addon mirrors and a brake controller. But with all of this, do you think the Tacoma will still be suitable for those long hauls?

My Tacoma (bought new) only has 30k miles on it so its still running and looking like new. I'd hate to replace it with a used Tundra (2008+) which is way too big for me to enjoy driving. But if that is the only safe and comfortable option, I'd do it. I dont have the option to keep the Tacoma if I get a Tundra.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
We run an enclosed trailer with a Tundra with all or race stuff and it's great combo.

Like others have said i think your going to be really pushing the Tacoma. By your description your getting to max tow with just the car and trailer. Tools, spare parts etc are HEAVY!!! As you know Watkins Glen is all uphill to get there.
This is one of those crossroads where if your really serious on Traveling and racing, you need a comfortable, safe, towing setup. You won't get it with the Tacoma.

I'll be at Lime Rock CT Labor Day Weekend.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Open or closed trailer? I've pulled a numer of cars on an open deck trailer and it drove just fine. A little lighter cars though, closer to 3000lbs. An enclosed car hauler will be a different story though, heavier trailer and it's just way too easy to fill it up with stuff plus it will catch a ton more wind.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you have extra cash laying around, such as money you would put on top the Tacoma to get a Tundra....fork it out and pick up a 12 valve...it'll do you wonders on mileage and power. or even a Dirtymax.

Just don't get a powerjoke..unless it's a 6.0.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #11
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
If you have extra cash laying around, such as money you would put on top the Tacoma to get a Tundra....fork it out and pick up a 12 valve...it'll do you wonders on mileage and power. or even a Dirtymax.

Just don't get a powerjoke..unless it's a 6.0.
whatt????

all the dodge cummins engines are beasts aswell as the 7.3 powerstroke, the 6.0 is known as a mechanical bastard!

also the older duramxes have hit and miss reliability issues
Old 09-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Try it with the taco, and if you need a bigger truck then get one. I don't see why not to try the taco at least once (unless the trailer is too heavy for the taco's rating).
Old 09-14-2011, 04:41 AM   #13
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
<flame suit>

I have an '06 Tacoma DC and it towes my '87 4Runner just fine to the off road parks. My normal tow with the 4Runner and a 16' flat bed trailer is about 1.5 hours one way over hills and through towns. Yes, I am at/on max capacity; but by watching my speed and maintaining extra stopping distance I have not had any problems. Currently I'm looking at getting some heavier rear springs and air bags so as I'm not sagging so bad from the trailer/truck combo. A cooler for my auto tranny is on the list this next year also. The weight of the 4R is rated at 4,500 but I'm also running it without the top, and the trailer is around 1k.

Keep it in 4th, take your time, keep it around 60 mpg, and plan your route very carefully. I grew up towing and hauling eveything from tractors to hay; and I paid off my first truck and speeding tickets doing it. Know your limits and take your time. No truck is safe to haul with if your in a hurry or speeding.

</flame suit>

In this pic I did have the top on the 4R because it was raining when we left the house that day.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #14
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
<flame suit>

I have an '06 Tacoma DC and it towes my '87 4Runner just fine to the off road parks. My normal tow with the 4Runner and a 16' flat bed trailer is about 1.5 hours one way over hills and through towns. Yes, I am at/on max capacity; but by watching my speed and maintaining extra stopping distance I have not had any problems. Currently I'm looking at getting some heavier rear springs and air bags so as I'm not sagging so bad from the trailer/truck combo. A cooler for my auto tranny is on the list this next year also. The weight of the 4R is rated at 4,500 but I'm also running it without the top, and the trailer is around 1k.

Keep it in 4th, take your time, keep it around 60 mpg, and plan your route very carefully. I grew up towing and hauling eveything from tractors to hay; and I paid off my first truck and speeding tickets doing it. Know your limits and take your time. No truck is safe to haul with if your in a hurry or speeding.

</flame suit>

In this pic I did have the top on the 4R because it was raining when we left the house that day.
x2.... I have been towing since since I learned to drive. These trucks are very capable. You will def. need either stiffer rear springs/air bags. With the stock suspension you will be bottoming out the whole time. But as mentioned above if you keep it in 4th and watch your speed these trucks are very capable towing vehicals. I tow a 4k boat + 1k in trailer plus gear/people. I think I'm right at or maybe a litte below max cap. I towed my boat from Cincinnati to Charlotte NC. I only got about 10-12 mpg depending on the terrain but it pulled very well. I was impressed. I went ahead and got the Dakar OME leaf pack for the back. This is my truck/boat loaded.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #15
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I'm suprised that so far while towing I normally get around 15 mpgs. I have also modified my route to better fit my speed/desired terrain and found that the new route is even faster with less traffic.

It is all about using your head. I'd love to have a diesel - but I don't have that kind of money right now. So, until then I'm going to get a tranny cooler, springs, and looking at some air bags right now. The truck has more than enough driveline to tow with. Some e brakes on the trailer would be real nice though.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #16
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
I'm suprised that so far while towing I normally get around 15 mpgs. I have also modified my route to better fit my speed/desired terrain and found that the new route is even faster with less traffic.

It is all about using your head. I'd love to have a diesel - but I don't have that kind of money right now. So, until then I'm going to get a tranny cooler, springs, and looking at some air bags right now. The truck has more than enough driveline to tow with. Some e brakes on the trailer would be real nice though.
If I kept it a 55-60 I would probably get 14... but on the HWY I was running right between 65-70 maybe 75 down hill. Trailer brakes are a must w/ this kind of weight. I pretty much liquified my front pads on a huge hill decending down to the lake when my trailer brakes didn't work.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #17
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
You should be fine, just leave yourself plenty of stopping distance. I have towed a Chevy Monte Carlo, Subaru WRX STI, and a 91 Toyota MR2 with my tacoma. It was on a 17' Featherlite open trailer. Although the trailer is a bit lighter than its steel counterpart, it's still a big trailer.

I towed this MR2 from North of Atlanta to Enterprise AL (250 miles) averaging 65mph the whole way. I was only getting about 12 mpg which sucked but that's to be expected.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #18
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvtalon View Post
Open or closed trailer? I've pulled a numer of cars on an open deck trailer and it drove just fine. A little lighter cars though, closer to 3000lbs. An enclosed car hauler will be a different story though, heavier trailer and it's just way too easy to fill it up with stuff plus it will catch a ton more wind.
^^^^ My 07 trd w/ tow pac. feel's maxed out w/ 4000lb. camping trailer. Crosswind's and hill's will have your ass eating the seat covers. I know about the 6500lb tow pac.. My real world calls bull.... Jim
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #19
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
x2.... I have been towing since since I learned to drive. These trucks are very capable. You will def. need either stiffer rear springs/air bags. With the stock suspension you will be bottoming out the whole time. But as mentioned above if you keep it in 4th and watch your speed these trucks are very capable towing vehicals. I tow a 4k boat + 1k in trailer plus gear/people. I think I'm right at or maybe a litte below max cap. I towed my boat from Cincinnati to Charlotte NC. I only got about 10-12 mpg depending on the terrain but it pulled very well. I was impressed. I went ahead and got the Dakar OME leaf pack for the back. This is my truck/boat loaded.
It still amazes me that your boat didn't come with a tandem axle trailer
Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
It still amazes me that your boat didn't come with a tandem axle trailer
I get that a lot.... I guess the original owner went all out on the boat/boat motor and ran out of money for the trailer.