Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Can I borrow your brains?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
ChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ChuckLee's Tacoma Gallery
Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Can I borrow your brains?

Need your brains for a moment.
Have an 06 4x4 DCSB with tow package. I am confused as to whether or not I need to buy a harness adapter for my Tekonsha P3 brake controller. I have done searches, etc but am not quite clear on it. How would I install it without buying the harness? I bought a used P3 that also came with a Dodge harness.
Thanks guys!!!

Oh yeah, also. Noticed this brake controller harness is cheap, but says it is for 2007-2011. I have an 06. Does the 07 wire up differently? This I have not searched yet, sorry.
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...0-17-0140.html
Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
ChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I gotta figure this out soon. Supposed to go north this evening and pick up an M3 vert! wahoo!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
the brake contorller will work for your 06. same thing
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Daniel
08TRDOFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
I replied to your PM, but will post up here too.

No, you do not NEED the vehicle specific harness. I wired mine with the factory pigtail (included when you bought the truck) and it works fine.

Here is how I did it.

Quote:
I believe I wired mine like this (can't actually see my splices because they are tucked up in the dash in wire loom) but after looking at the wiring diagrams for both I am pretty this is how I did mine.

Factory pigtail color P3 pigtail
Black with red tracer (thick)------> Black (thick)
Solid Brown----------------------> White
Green w/white tracer-------------> Red
Red (thick)----------------------> Blue (thick)
Solid Green----------------------> Does not connect to P3 pigtail (tape up out of the way)

Hope that helps.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #5

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TRDOFFROAD View Post
I replied to your PM, but will post up here too.

No, you do not NEED the vehicle specific harness. I wired mine with the factory pigtail (included when you bought the truck) and it works fine.

Here is how I did it.
You guys are great! Thanks for the help and the PM's!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TRDOFFROAD View Post
You're welcome!
I am installing at this moment.

Regarding ground wire. So the brown wire goes to the white wiring from the Prodigy3. I don't need run those wires to a metal piece?

I have a 2012 with tow package.