Notices

Question for 5th wheel towing

Old 08-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Vandutch2001 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Military Intell.  Retired USAF
Name: John
Vandutch2001's Tacoma Gallery
Question for 5th wheel towing

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacamo Pre Runner with tow package kit installed. oil cooler//tramsmission cooler.. Its a short bed, question,,can I tow a 5th wheel with this short bed or will camper hit truck on turns...
Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I would never subject one of these trucks to a 5th wheel...they're not made for it.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You could if you get a small 5th wheel. I still wouldn't go over the 6500lb max. Really though full size trucks are meant for pulling 5th wheel trailers.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the two above. On my 05 2500 dodge I just traded, it was a short bed, still 6'8" to tow a 5th wheel I would have had to get a sliding hitch, just so that when I turned sharp the trailer wouldnt hit the cab.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You could if you get a small 5th wheel. I still wouldn't go over the 6500lb max. Really though full size trucks are meant for pulling 5th wheel trailers.
Why on earth would you need a 5th wheel for a small load?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Why on earth would you need a 5th wheel for a small load?
The extra sleeping area above the bed would be nice to have if I went camping often.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
The extra sleeping area above the bed would be nice to have if I went camping often.
Maybe I'm not being clear...I don't think they make 5th wheel setups at low loads because smaller trailers don't need 5th wheel couplings.

If you do need a 5th wheel coupling, you're probably too big for the Taco's towing cap.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Maybe I'm not being clear...I don't think they make 5th wheel setups at low loads because smaller trailers don't need 5th wheel couplings.

If you do need a 5th wheel coupling, you're probably too big for the Taco's towing cap.
I get you. As far as I know there are no more light weight 5th wheel trailers made but there used to be.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
There was talk about a 5th wheel trailer a couple of months ago, and I think someone posted pics of one with a taco....
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
you beat me....
Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Banned

I would tow that.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #14

Quote:

I would tow that.
x2, but why it has a 5th wheel coupling is beyond me. Nothing there a class 4 hitch couldn't handle.

Maybe that's why they don't make 'em much anymore.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Note the Scamp trailer doesn't have a real 5th wheel attachment with a kingpin. The truck needs a normal 2" ball in the bed, and the trailer has a normal cup-shaped coupler. The only advantage therefore is a shorter overall length, kinda like the difference between a carbine and a bullpup.

See: http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals...foreYouTow.swf
Old 09-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #16
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Note: There are no fifth wheel applications for Toyota Tacoma Pickups
http://www.hitchesonline.com/5th_wheel_hitches.htm