Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Carrying a Canoe

Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Triangleacre1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
Triangleacre1's Tacoma Gallery
Carrying a Canoe

My friend has a 14 foot canoe that we want to take out with my 1st gen short bed. I was wondering if we should probably just go ahead and find a trailer to haul it on. I was told a good rule is that if 50% or more of what u haul is hanging out of the bed then use a trailer. correct?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangleacre1 View Post
My friend has a 14 foot canoe that we want to take out with my 1st gen short bed. I was wondering if we should probably just go ahead and find a trailer to haul it on. I was told a good rule is that if 50% or more of what u haul is hanging out of the bed then use a trailer. correct?
That's a good rule but you won't have 50% of the canoe hanging out. You have a 6' bed and the tailgate down (roughly 2' for the tailgate). Tie the front in so it can't slide backwards, strap it down and put a red flag on the end sticking out the back and you'll be fine. If you have access to a trailer, then it's a good option but not a necessity in my opinion.

I've also seen people buy foam pads and put the canoe so it's resting on the tailgate and the cab of the truck. Personally, I wouldn't do that to my truck but I've seen it done.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Triangleacre1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
Triangleacre1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks alot for the input. I will probably try it with the tailgate down and see how that works.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangleacre1 View Post
Thanks alot for the input. I will probably try it with the tailgate down and see how that works.
No problem, just make sure you strap it down so it doesn't bounce in the bed when you hit a bump.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
I hauled a 14' canoe in the back of mine (also a 6' bed). It sucked, glad I didn't have to go far. Wouldn't do it again.

Mike
Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
homer96 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh...or Homer
homer96's Tacoma Gallery

these are old ass pictures but....you can do it.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery

my 12 ft jon boat lmao