Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Standard package upgrade for tow duty question

Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Fab is on a distinguished road
Fab's Tacoma Gallery
Standard package upgrade for tow duty question

New to trucks, I have been looking at Tacomas for a Tow Vehicle / daily Driver.

Towing duty would be to tow an autocross car on an open trailer (~4,000 lbs for both)

So I am looking at 05-10 4x4 models with the V6.

What confuse me is that the Toyota Canada website show that the 2011 4x4 V6 model is rated for 3,500 lbs and that to get the 6,500 lbs towing capacity the TRD package is required (Unlike in the US the Canadian SR5 package doesn't include the towing package)

If I get a standard package 05-10 4x4 V6, is it just a matter of adding a transmission oil cooler, beefier alternator to increase the tow capacity? or is there more to it?

The towing bible mention something about having the rear spring TSB performed, but I have no idea what TSB stand for...
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
New to trucks, I have been looking at Tacomas for a Tow Vehicle / daily Driver.

Towing duty would be to tow an autocross car on an open trailer (~4,000 lbs for both)

So I am looking at 05-10 4x4 models with the V6.

What confuse me is that the Toyota Canada website show that the 2011 4x4 V6 model is rated for 3,500 lbs and that to get the 6,500 lbs towing capacity the TRD package is required (Unlike in the US the SR5 package doesn't have the towing package)

If I get a standard package 05-10 4x4 V6, is it just a matter of adding a transmission oil cooler, beefier alternator to increase the tow capacity? or is there more to it?

The towing bible mention something about having the rear spring TSB performed, but I have no idea what TSB stand for...
Not sure about Canadian models but not all TRD models in the US have the tow package, same with the SR5. It's an optional package that includes a class 4 receiver, HD alternator and a cooler.

TSB stands for technical service bulletin. The Canadian trucks come stock with a 4 leaf suspension in the rear while the US trucks come with a 3 leaf. The TSB is for US trucks that actually haul and bottom out with a load. The TSB replaces the factory 3 leaf suspension on US trucks with the 4 leaf suspension that comes factory on Canadian models.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
First, the easy stuff... the "TSB" -- Technical Service Bulletin.
In the US, the majority of Tacoma buyers are soft posers, who want their truck to ride like a cadillac. A few, mostly members of this forum or otherwise identifiable as "enthusiasts", want their pickup to actually perform WORK. Because of this, they ship Tacomas in the US with a 3-leaf rear spring package to satisfy the soft posers, and update them to 4-leaf if the customer can demonstrate that they need it.

In Canada, where "men are men" (see the Monty Python lumber jack song about Canadian men...), there are far fewer soft posers buying pickups. Therefore they ship them from factory with the 4-leaf rear suspension.

In other words.... there is no TSB for Canadian Tacoma rear leaf springs.

Now as far as hauling.
Dude you're cracking me up...
Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
First, the easy stuff... the "TSB" -- Technical Service Bulletin.
In the US, the majority of Tacoma buyers are soft posers, who want their truck to ride like a cadillac. A few, mostly members of this forum or otherwise identifiable as "enthusiasts", want their pickup to actually perform WORK. Because of this, they ship Tacomas in the US with a 3-leaf rear spring package to satisfy the soft posers, and update them to 4-leaf if the customer can demonstrate that they need it.

In Canada, where "men are men" (see the Monty Python lumber jack song about Canadian men...), there are far fewer soft posers buying pickups. Therefore they ship them from factory with the 4-leaf rear suspension.

In other words.... there is no TSB for Canadian Tacoma rear leaf springs.

Now as far as hauling.
There is the "practical" limit, and the "printed" limit. If you buy one without the "towing package", which despite previous claims, corresponds to TRD package (*used* to be available separately, now its TRD==tow package), then it will ship from factory with a 6x00 pound hauling capacity printed on it. If you buy one withOUT the tow package, it will have 3500 printed on it, and NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, it will never become "rated" for anything above 3500 pounds.

The "beefier" alternator (as you put it) is there to provide the extra power that *may* be required if you use ELECTRIC TRAILER BRAKES. If your trailer uses hydraulic surge brakes, there is absolutely no reason for running a bigger alternator.

Transmission cooler is only applicable to AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS.

There is also an ENGINE OIL COOLER in the tow package. If you're only running 500 pounds over the limit, it probably isn't all that important. The terrain that you drive on may dictate the best option -- lots of steep hills puts a bigger load on the engine. It certainly wouldn't HURT to add extra cooling for the engine oil.

Finally, of course, you will need a 2" receiver. Hitch city has them stamped 5000/5500 pounds (extra 500 with weight distribution hitch).

Last but not least, the OEM trailer wiring harness is really slick. It draws power straight from the battery and keeps all the electronics safely out of water in the cab and in the under-hood fuse box, just running a wire from the driver's kick panel to the hitch. I would *highly* recommend this above any aftermarket trailer wiring kit, despite costing about twice as much. It is a very high quality unit.

God has spoken..

Some of the best written info I've seen.
The factory harness is awesome. I'm forever taking "OTHER MAKES" out and redoing with factory.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Fab is on a distinguished road
Fab's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a million for all the informations guys, most appreciated.